Hungry Girl Vent

Options
sharibrat
sharibrat Posts: 39 Member
I was intrigued by hungrygirl.com after seeing her make some chicken on TV. She compared it to the taste of a chik-fil-a without frying it. It was made with crushed Fiber One cereal.

I went home and browsed her website, signed up for the newsletter, read recipes, etc.

Well, I am disgusted with it. I would say about 90% of her tips, recommendations and recipes contain ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS. I have never seen a dessert recipe that didn't contain Splenda or something artificial.

So I just ignored all dessert recipes. I do NOT eat artificial sweeteners.

So last night I decided to try the chicken recipe. I bought Fiber One original (sounds healthy enough, doesn't it?). As I was prepping, I tasted the Fiber One and was surprised it was so sweet. I checked the ingredients to see what made it so sweet.....ASPARTAME. Auuuuuuuuuuugh. NOTHING on the label to indiciate that it had artificial sweeteners. No "low sugar" note or anything.

I dumped the box in the trash and ditched my dinner making for that recipe. I am just disgusted. Why do we need artificial sweetener in our chicken??? And why is there NO indication on a box that it might contain some??? I read a LOT of lables at the grocery store, but seriously, do I now need to read EVERY label???

I am no longer even reading Hungry Girl. It is such a shame that her followers think they are being healthy...sure it's less sugar and less calories, but what about the risks that go with the artificial crap.

I just needed to vent. I know some of you will understand.

Replies

• writer190
    writer190 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand with you. When I got /too/ wrapped up in losing weight, I went for the artificial sweeteners, because they made things lower-calorie. Now I'm getting away from that stuff, and I'm finding my Hungry Girl cook book a little hard to work with. However, many of the recipes call for only a little bit of and artificial sweetener, and I'm able to get away with substituting a pinch of sugar instead (or eliminating it entirely). Most of the recipes taste pretty good, and I'm willing to up the calorie count a little bit if it means using real ingredients.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It's always best to stick to REAL FOOD for healthier benefits anyway :happy: . I wouldn't even consider consuming artificial crap either.
    Sounds vile.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    boxed food = garbage, almost always
  • slcbrus
    slcbrus Posts: 79
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are pretty unhealthy physically but also mentally in a way. Your brain, in some cases (each person is different), interprets the artificial sweetener as sugar (through the action of the tastebuds) and still elevates your level of insulin upon consumption. Artificial sweeteners are thus dead food if you like, even if their glycemic index is low. No good comes from dead food :frown: especially when they trick you into thinking they are good for you while your brain and your body become confused and don't really know how to process them. We should really all stay away from them wheneve possible.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. You should check out Toca Reno's Eating Clean cookbook(s) if you want some new ideas. She cooks with real, whole foods.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar on another thread, I picked up two Hungry Girl cook books from the library ( glad I didn't buy them) after a friend told me how much she loved the recipes. Lots of Splenda, margarine, Cool Whip....all the stuff I don't want in my diet!! I'll take the extra calories over the chemicals any day!!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I was intrigued by hungrygirl.com after seeing her make some chicken on TV. She compared it to the taste of a chik-fil-a without frying it. It was made with crushed Fiber One cereal.

I went home and browsed her website, signed up for the newsletter, read recipes, etc.

Well, I am disgusted with it. I would say about 90% of her tips, recommendations and recipes contain ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS. I have never seen a dessert recipe that didn't contain Splenda or something artificial.

So I just ignored all dessert recipes. I do NOT eat artificial sweeteners.

So last night I decided to try the chicken recipe. I bought Fiber One original (sounds healthy enough, doesn't it?). As I was prepping, I tasted the Fiber One and was surprised it was so sweet. I checked the ingredients to see what made it so sweet.....ASPARTAME. Auuuuuuuuuuugh. NOTHING on the label to indiciate that it had artificial sweeteners. No "low sugar" note or anything.

I dumped the box in the trash and ditched my dinner making for that recipe. I am just disgusted. Why do we need artificial sweetener in our chicken??? And why is there NO indication on a box that it might contain some??? I read a LOT of lables at the grocery store, but seriously, do I now need to read EVERY label???

I am no longer even reading Hungry Girl. It is such a shame that her followers think they are being healthy...sure it's less sugar and less calories, but what about the risks that go with the artificial crap.

I just needed to vent. I know some of you will understand.
    HungryGirl.com = product advertising Least that's my take on ALL her recipes that's I've seen. You'll likely notice her recipes aren't made from scratch but using 4-5 purchased items all brand names advertised all over her site and on her YouTube vids.

I love poking around for new recipes that are healthy but I don't care for a recipe that you have to buy all one certain brand. I like to wing it most times and use what I already have or alter it up.

I know there are some hungry girls on this site so no haters please:sad: :laugh: Just my thoughts on pushing brand names in recipe books etc., the constant advertising bugs me. SO yes, I don't read it (I know someone will bring that up.:tongue: )

Sorry your dinner ended up tasting crappy. :flowerforyou:
    Becca
  • Connie68
    Connie68 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am so with everyone else that has commented on this thread. Being a diabetic, I have never used any type of artificial sweetener. Most people jut don't realize how it can and will affect your glycemic index. I've started reading, well I think it's called Eat to Live by Joel Furman and it has been a real eye opener. It also helped when we found that my daughter had celiacs disease.

You want to find something funny, start reading ingredients to see what all has WHEAT in it.... just about everything! Soy Sauce, yep, soy sauce has wheat in it. Shampoo, conditioner, bar soap. I was floored. Thankfully (I say that in the fact that she has been a life saver, not that she has celiacs) my sister in law has celiacs also, and has dealt with it for 10 years, because I can simply call her if I've ever got a question and ask her about product. But the first 3 weeks, it took me 3 hours to grocery shop! lol
    I can laugh now, but then, I was ready to cry.

I now shop the perimeter of the grocery store and don't even venture down the isles. I feel better, my skin looks better, and it's what is helping me to lose weight.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I just checked out the website and I must say I'm gonna try some of those chicken recipes- If it can save me that many calories I'm game for it especially the chicken Parm one I haven't had Chicken Parm in a long time because it is so many calories.

Kudos to you to going all natural-
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I am so with everyone else that has commented on this thread. Being a diabetic, I have never used any type of artificial sweetener. Most people jut don't realize how it can and will affect your glycemic index. I've started reading, well I think it's called Eat to Live by Joel Furman and it has been a real eye opener. It also helped when we found that my daughter had celiacs disease.

You want to find something funny, start reading ingredients to see what all has WHEAT in it.... just about everything! Soy Sauce, yep, soy sauce has wheat in it. Shampoo, conditioner, bar soap. I was floored. Thankfully (I say that in the fact that she has been a life saver, not that she has celiacs) my sister in law has celiacs also, and has dealt with it for 10 years, because I can simply call her if I've ever got a question and ask her about product. But the first 3 weeks, it took me 3 hours to grocery shop! lol

I now shop the perimeter of the grocery store and don't even venture down the isles. I feel better, my skin looks better, and it's what is helping me to lose weight.

That's basically how you should grocery shop is meat,dairy,fruits, and veggies that's it (have you noticed that grocery stores now display some of the not healthy things around the perimeter)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    *****DISCLAIMER - I am not trying to promote Atkins.......

But I do have to say that is on one of the first pages of the DANDR book......Everything you need to nourish your body is found in the outer perimenter of the store.

Nuts
    Meats
    Dairy
    fruits and Veggies
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

That's basically how you should grocery shop is meat,dairy,fruits, and veggies that's it (have you noticed that grocery stores now display some of the not healthy things around the perimeter)
    HA! I've noticed, sometimes you have to manuever your cart around a giant cardboard chip display that looks like it's going to topple over when you're looking for dairy items.

Or the bakery items now on all the long tables right smack in front of the meat section, you can hardly get to anymore in some sections (does this mean the store makes more on bakery than meat nowadays or that they are gunning for both?). You go looking for raw chicken and you have to leave your cart somewhere else so you can get to the chicken.

They know what they are DOING, but I just buy the chicken and dairy and think ick on the fake frosted stuff. lol
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I love my homemade chicken tenders.
    I take honey and add a bit of water to dilute it a bit
    roll my chicken tender, or just slices of white meat in it
    then dredge in whole wheat flour
    roll in the honey
    roll in either crushed bread crumbs or corn flakes (the bread crumbs I make from the heals of the different breads I buy. I put them in a sack and add seasonings, then use pulse in the food proc)

I spray the pan with olive oil and bake for about 13 minutes each side.

Yummo!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    roll in the honey
    roll in either crushed bread crumbs or corn flakes (the bread crumbs I make from the heals of the different breads I buy. I put them in a sack and add seasonings, then use pulse in the food proc)

Yummo!!
    that does sound good, and simple too! Thanks for the idea arewethereyet
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    roll in the honey

Yummo!!
    that does sound good, and simple too! Thanks for the idea arewethereyet

No prob, call me Jeannie :flowerforyou:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    roll in the honey

Yummo!!

Very nice, Jeannie! I generally always have these ingredients on hand. We will try them soon!
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    I would like to see them do a recipe for beef sukiyaki or something else that calls for shirataki noodles outside of HG Land.