almond milk

Options
LOVE it. But do you guys drink it within 7 days or go by the date on the carton? I can barely drink half a carton in 7 days and I feel like I'm totally wasting a good carton when I throw it out after a week.

Replies

• Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    within 7 days? never heard of that? I just drink it by the date on the carton, which is usually plenty of time. It's the only milk I drink (except for soy milk when I'm at a cafe, occasionally)
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A lot of soy milk cartons say the same thing, but I've kept almond and soy milk around for a month and haven't had any problems. Maybe it depends on the brand or something.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I never drink any type of milk but I use the almond milk daily in my shake so I don't have a problem. I think it lasts about a week :)
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    We drink it as long as it smells OK and hasn't gone semi-solid in the carton. Same with soy milk. I've never had mine go bad by the expiry date -- we usually finish it before that, but I've had both almond and soy that have hung around MONTHS after the expiry date and they were just fine. Smell it. Pour a tiny bit out. Trust me when I tell you, you'll KNOW that it's gone bad.

If you are really worried, both soy and almond milk freeze wonderfully. Freeze them as icecubes, or in a wide mouth quart canning jar. Just leave some headroom for expansion so the jar doesn't crack in the freezer. You can use freezer bags too -- fill them and lay them flat on a cookie sheet, pop in the freezer, then remove them from the sheet when solid and stack flat.
  • sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I buy almond breeze and on the carton it says use within seven days of opening
  • HungryKoala
    Options
    I just realized I NEVER read expiration dates.
  • docsharon
    docsharon Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Although the Almond Breeze carton it says use within seven days of opening it does keep in the refrigerator without spoiling.
    I wish that it would come in quarts instead of 1/2 gallons though.