I've just quit.

Options

Replies

• samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I still track every now and then but the past week and a half I have REALLY just about given up and for NO reason. One bad day has led to another and I've quit working out as well.
    This is awful. How can I convince my eyes and stomach to get back on track?

Read the :SUCCESS STORIES" posts!! They make your day better by seeing their successes. Not only that, but COMMENT on their success; tell them how their story affected you. This gets you out there more in the community. People tell me that they see my posts and I am always so positive, but I tell you what, it is selfish of me. By commenting, I am getting my name out there more, and it is much added pressure to keep going on so I can one day post my own accomplishment!!! I truly get excited to see successes, and I comment that exact feeling. I think this will work for you.

Don't rush back into exercise and eating right. I think you just need to get back into being in the community, and then you will start watching your intake naturally, and next thing you know, you will be doing your exercises again. :) Sending you lots of support and uplifting thoughts! You can do this; you are still here asking for help, so I KNOW that you WILL do this!

:flowerforyou:
  • never124get
    Options
    MAKE yourself work out, no matter how much you need to *****, piss, moan, or feel like poo- make yourself, and make yourself do the other stuff too- its never to late start again

Yep yep yep!! Sometimes I whine the first ten mins of working out but then I realize I'm starting to feel more energized...

YOU are the only one who can improve YOUR health. Do it for yourself.
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I still track every now and then but the past week and a half I have REALLY just about given up and for NO reason. One bad day has led to another and I've quit working out as well.

i believe your motivation has to come from within. there's nothing i can say to motivate you. you have to want it. the only person affected by your quitting is you. if you can live with that, then you probably aren't yet ready to make the changes you need to make to your life. it sounds harsh, but it's true. either you are doing this because you want to, or you're not doing it at all.

all that said, you could just think of this past period as a "break". get back to it right now. this very minute. try to preserve whatever progress you've made. forget about the break and treat it as old news. that is, if you want to reach your goals. if you don't want to reach your goals, then grab a bag of chips and some dip and prop yourself up on the couch in front of the TV. get comfortable. you'll be there until you are ready, and of course your path back from there will be harder and longer.

so it's really all up to you.

This.

Nobody in the world can convince you to do this or anything else. If you want it, you'll do it. If you don't, you'll make excuses.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't have anything to quit. Take time to pick out healthy foods that you like and try to work exercise into your daily routine as much as possible. That way you are not denying yourself anything. Sure, you need some portion control and it takes time to improve your fitness. But you know you need to make some fundamental changes, so do it in a way that you can live with. For me, I like vegetables so I eat a huge salad almost every weekday for lunch. Tastes great, plenty filling, and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing (my food diary is open if anyone would like to see). And I bike commute to work whenever weather permits even in winter. It's fun and I had to get there anyway.

Everyone is different of course and my solution probably won't work for you. But a few years ago I would have never thought that I would be biking to work and eating salads all the time. So take a deep breath and perhaps a step back, and think about healthy stuff you like to eat and do. Then make these things a bigger part of your life even if it doesn't seem possible. It is. You can. And you'll be glad you did.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Not to be harsh but like I tell myself, either you want to stay the way you currently are(which in my case is fat) or you wanna be healthy and trim and look good!! That's all there is to it!! Of course it is a journey and you will make mistakes but that is no reason to give up completely.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Just give up, then...go ahead...you can spend the rest of your life unhappy if you want, unless of course, it matters to you enough for you to get up and try one more day???

Quitting only puts you in a place where you will either stay or grow more miserable. Guess you are an adult and can decide this for yourself...as for me...I think I will keep trying...

Okay so this weekend I blew off the best advice of all my MFP friends...I ate CAKE...yes, you heard me!! CAKE...lemon cake with icing....and you know what? I feel kinda bad about it...I also did not exercise and my excuse was that I had to work the weekend. I feel kinda bad about that, too....but you know what else?

I don't feel bad enough about it to QUIT...know why? cause I want to succeed and be more healthy...I also want to be trim and I wanna feel good when I have to walk a mile to get somewhere...I want to feel confident and pretty and ...well, not JIGGLY!! YEAH!!

So you wanna quit...go ahead...but it won't make you feel any better! Staying with your exercise and moderate calorie intake...THAT will make you feel better!! AND BETTER AND BETTER...every day, every step and every pound!

So you decide...ya still feel like quitting? or are you going to get back on it with the rest of us and KICK BUTT this week???
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've just begun, but not really. I have begun and quit more times than I can remember. And each time, I get heavier. Right now, I am as heavy as I have ever been. I am afraid to go to the doctor's because I know what they are going to say. I am grossly obese and there is nothing anyone can do about it - other than me.

Falling happens. It happens all the time. But you started this for a reason. Revisit that reason - does it still apply? If not, then you have to find something more meaningful to you to motivate you to realize that the day-by-day is a lifestyle change and lifestyle changes take time to implement. If it does still apply, then take a deep breath, go to bed, and wake up with a plan.

Either way, if you come back tomorrow or in a year, you have support.

^^^This^^^IS GREAT ADVICE!
    :drinker:
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't you give up? Simple. Because you're worth the effort.
  • dryder7
    Options
    Look how much you;ve already lost. Give youraelf some timeout, then keep going.:happy:
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.. It's been over 2 years for me and I just got back on track since being on a downfall since Christmas time.. When you are ready you will do this again..
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    After almost 2 months of fluctuating up and down with the same 3lbs i have been feeling frustrated as well.... but i made a new motivational/vision board last week to keep close by to remind myself why i'm doing this and i've measured my inches as well to see that i have lost some there if not on the scale. "Trust the process" is something i remind myself of daily too.

As other posters have said, switch it up a bit to renew the motivation - i like to take my dog out for a walk to a new location, or go through a DVD or one of many youtube videos so it doesn't get boring and monotonous.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    its never to late to start again, just because you've gotten off track doesn't mean that you can't get right back on. Tomorrow is a new day, stay focused and be strong! :) you can do it!! stay healthy an God bless :)
  • stringer93
    stringer93 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just need to be in the right frame of mind for this.

When Im feeling blah I go over and have a read of success stories. Doing that is a basic slap in my face to carry on! Knowing if they can do it then so can I

Couldnt have said it better. True insperation stories i find are the best motivators. Find some friends who can help push you.. Tell you what your doing right and wrong. Sometimes you loose confidence in yourself. But when did friends ever give up on ya.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Don't quit.

I've just about had the worst month I've had in over a year. I've been over in the low hundreds just about every day this month and this past weekned was a topper....2-3,000 over every day since Friday. I'm hitting the reset button again tomorrow. Log and press on...and on...and on. I screw up, but I never see it as quitting. One day at a time, one meal at a time. You can do it.
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What you have to remember is that we ALL get off track sometimes. What I've learned is that you need to plan for these instances and accept them. Plan for ways to get back on track, and DO NOT beat yourself up over it. The first step is not giving up, because you haven't done anything worth giving up over. You're human, you fell off the wagon. The next step is loving yourself anyway, and then taking another step forward again. And next time, understand ahead of time that sometimes you will slip. It's not worth giving up over, ever.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Hey, firstly congrats on the 21lb loss, that's awesome! :)

Like everyone else said, motivation comes from within and sadly if you aren't willing to put in the effort to work out and/or watch what you eat, there's really nothing you can do about it. That said, you could try different ways to motivate yourself!

Focus on your goals: why do you want to lose weight? How do you feel so far having lost all that weight? Did the weight loss help in other ways? (Feel better about yourself, more confidence, better health, easier finding clothes, helps with energy, better skin etc.) If so, why do you wanna lose more weight?
    Then think about what made you get into this rut: Was it hard to stick to the caloric goal? Or do you feel deprived from not being able to eat certain foods? Remember that there are no 'bad foods', if you can practice moderation, fit your favorite little treats into your caloric goal! Do you binge? If so, try to find the root cause (sadness, boredom, feeling too hungry) and solve that instead. Get another hobby to get rid of boredom, spend more time with people, up your calories etc. Are you feeling too weak? Maybe you're not getting enough of certain nutrients.
    Do you feel burned out? Intersperse rest days! Is it hard to get to the gym/exercise? Find a exercise buddy, be it a friend or family member, it is always easier when you know you're not alone!! Join classes!! The cost could motivate you, and you could also make friends who are looking to stay fit! Find different ways to fit in exercises! Go hiking with family/friends and then end it with a lovely healthy picnic while enjoying nature and the company! Do you have nephews/nieces or little kids to spend time with? Kids love to play games and run around, Spend a day taking care of them, or simply play a game of tag etc, it is great exercise while you can have fun! Find an exercise you enjoy! Indoor rock climbing, biking, swimming, a sport, yoga... Something that you look forward to maybe once a week, while staying active! Or train for a marathon so your treadmill runs are not just monotonously trying to burn calories but actually working towards something!

Also, after getting into a rut of losing track, take things slow and a step at a time if you find it overwhelming to change everything overnight. Give yourself one thing a day to accomplish: Take a walk today. The next, take two walks, or take the walk and change something about your eating. The following day, take a run. Eventually, all these will accumulate and eventually get you out of the rut!!!!

Things that motivates me:
    Coming into the mfp community, reading the forums, commenting, learning!
    Give up now and things will only get tougher.
    Do not get too frustrated over a plateau, you've already lost a great deal, look at it as maintaining! As long as you don't quit, you're still staying at the improved version of yourself! Stay calm and re-evaluate your regimen to see how you could get through a plateau!
    "You are worth the time and effort"
    "What you eat in private, you wear in public"
    "I'd rather suffer (if you find exercise 'painful') for 1h a day than the rest of the 24h"

When life gets tough, you don't quit life, so why would you quit on this?
    Hang in there, as you struggle with losing weight, millions of other people all over the world are struggling too! you're not alone!!!!

P.S. I've been there multiple times before, struggle with yo-yo weighting and binging, gain 25lb in a month from binging at least 7000 calories per day with no exercise, wanting to get back on track and finding it impossible, but told myself to take things slow and even though I began with 4000 calories a day, it was still better than 7000!
  • pracktish
    pracktish Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    youtube an episode of biggest loser. it helps me a lot

^^^this^^^
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    MAKE yourself work out, no matter how much you need to *****, piss, moan, or feel like poo- make yourself, and make yourself do the other stuff too- its never to late start again

AGAIN THIS /\ i do 7 days a week! no matter what i was even exersicing on crutches lol :noway: (true)
    once you have exersiced it will give you a "happy" feeling and you will want to eat good then it will start to snowball! :bigsmile:
    good luck x
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you're the only person responsible for your health. If you want it enough, you'll try to achieve it. This journey isn't for the weak. If I can do it, you can do it. I believe in you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Stand naked in front of a mirror and do Gangnam style dance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition