X-box Kinect: Can you really lose some weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The Kinect Adventures always kicks my boyfriend and i's *kitten*, and it's not even a fitness game haha. It's loads of fun too
    I have almost all the dance games, it's fun to play with friends or on my own... and it doesn't feel like exercising. What everyone else has said- you get out of it what you put into it.
  • awenske1
    awenske1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    YES! Before I started dieting I just wanted to try zumba to see if I would even like it. I LOVE it. I do it for an hour a day at least 5 days a week & without dieting I lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks. That doesn't seem like much but considering I was eating greasy fast food, ice cream, anything & literally only doing zumba & some ab/core exercises afterwards that's pretty good. There are a lot of other kinect games that are actual fitness games that are good but I recommend zumba if you like to dance it's so fun & it tells you how many calories you burn that day & keeps a record of your past weeks too so you can see your progress. I'm sure if you eat healthy & do this you'd lose weight (that's what I'm trying this month so hopefully I'll lose even more)! Hope that helped =)
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I use Just Dance 3 on the wii and REALLY give it my all. I try to move just as hard as they do. I am sweating pretty good and have my heart rate up a great bit when I am done!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Dance Central 40+ mins for me/day
    Kinect Sports Boxing 20-30 mins
    Fitness Evolved 2012 for warm up and cool down
    Fighter Uncaged 20-30 mins
    Lost 10 lb in first month
    Want to acquire Zumba in the near future. Any thoughts which version is the best?
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have zumba rush and dance central. The adventures games, some of the games on that dvd are a workout. I love it but do laugh at myself alot for the way i look on the screen from the kinect or the type of movements they want me to do. You get out of it what you put into it. :flowerforyou:
  • lynnglessner
    Options
    I have used each of the Your Shape Fitness editions, and I'm currently using the Zumba Core ... I would never set foot in a gym to Zumba in public, not because of my shape as much as just inhibition, but it's pretty good exercise AND cheaper than joining a gym. I definitely started shaping up immediately with the Zumba, but I never did the hard workouts (eg bootcamp) with YSF.

I figure that if you buy a game and do it for a couple months before getting bored and buying a new "game", it has paid for itself vs a gym membership. And if you have young girls, get dance central and let them wear themselves out at a slumber party and crash by 11PM, that's worth the entire purchase price of the console!
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    you could jam to the radio for free. if you're a game/points motivated person it might make exercise more painless, though.
  • jamaicasunshine
    jamaicasunshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! I have Dance Central 1,2 & 3, Just Dance 3 & 4 and The Biggest Loser. I recently switched to Hip Hop Abs DVD to shake things up a little but I really enjoy the dancing games for fun cardio :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The workouts are hard, tough on knees, and you need a decent amount of floor space.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba and the kinect is my main way of working out!
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't play video games, except Kinect Your Shape Fitness Evolved and my favorite, Nike + Kinect Training. After a month of doin' just the Nike+ Kinect game, my stamina increased with the exercises and I definitely got stronger. I love it!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have your shape fitness evolved. I don't use it every day as I typically run or go to the gym or go to the gym to run. I don't burn as many calories per minute as I do at the gym and certainly not as much as running but if I don't need/want to burn a lot of calories I'll fire it up. Yesterday, for example, after shovelling I still needed to burn a few calories so I did 15 minutes and got back under my NET goal. I don't think I would want to do it as my ultimate fitness method but it's fine for a lighter day.

Once I'm training for my half marathon I'll use the "Zen" mode (think Tai Chi) on my rest days.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You definitely get out of it what you put into it. If you watch demos on youtube of people playing it, they act like they're embarrassed the whole time and afraid to break a sweat. I suspect most people are like this. I'm not, so according to my HRM I burn about 600 calories per hour doing my kinect games. Here are the ones I have:

Your Shape 2012. Good for showing you the exercises and helping you to do them right (usually) although it can fail to properly detect your body position for some of the exercises. I also liked it for learning a bunch of yoga positions. The kids like some of the warmups and running modes on it too.

Kinect Sports and season 2. There's a bunch of fun modes on this. My favorite is ping pong. Again I burn tons of calories, get really high heart rates (up in the 160s where my max is 180) AND it's actually fun. It's a lot of intense squats and jumping and arm movements the way I play it.) You're not just a mindless zombie copying a script or someone else's moves, it challenges your body and your mind.

Kinect Adventures. The river rafting, mountain rail game, and rallyball games are really good workouts and as intense as you want to make them.

Fruit Ninja. Good for a warmup, and it's just funny smashing fruit with 'air karate' moves.
  • ebdavey
    ebdavey Posts: 3
    Options
    I've just been using Zumba Fitness CORE and lost 23lbs (from 203lbs) and dropped just over 2 sizes so far in 4ish months - usually just doing 20ish mins 5x per week. It is definitely true that you get out what you put in - and I don't know how long/far this one game will take me :) but between that and this site helping me figure out where those sneaky calories are hiding, I hope it will get me through :) if not, I'll ramp it up to the 45/60 min sessions then give some others a go too... doing the exercise in the embarrassment of your own home comes highly recommended *lol*

43441164.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter