Belly Fat - Lose It?

Options
I'm new here and could really use some advice. I've had 4 kids in 4 years (last two were twins!). I haven't taken great care of myself and really want to lose this belly fat. I don't need to lose weight below my waist...I'm already shaped like an upside down triangle. :) Lol! What's the best way to lose this belly fat? Cardio? Pilates? I'm 157 lbs and would like to be at 140 or less. Thanks!

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    No such thing as spot reduction. Lose weight to lose the belly. It's that simple.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    And to lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. Create it how you like. Diet alone or diet plus exercise. If you want to actually look good when you are done, you should do some resistance training.
  • ewalker160
    ewalker160 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is my issue as well... It seems as I lose weight, everything is getting slimmer except for my belly... time to hit hard on the crunches!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Body fat it lost systematically. So if you lose 1%, it comes from all over. However genetics dictates where one store fat in higher amounts. Some on the hips, some on the back, some on the abs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sherrymccall
    sherrymccall Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is my issue as well... It seems as I lose weight, everything is getting slimmer except for my belly... time to hit hard on the crunches!

crunches are not going to help you lose body fat. you can tone your muscles underneath your fat but no one is going to see them.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and notice a big difference in belly fat as in a lot was gone!
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Body fat it lost systematically. So if you lose 1%, it comes from all over. However genetics dictates where one store fat in higher amounts. Some on the hips, some on the back, some on the abs.

Does this apply to visceral fat as well?
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    However genetics dictates where one store fat in higher amounts.

Then I've got no hope - my mum forever looked pregnant :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Core work will help tighten everything up. I also rub my belly with a good stretch mark oil to keep the skin supple so I don't end up with hanging skin. I am finally feeling like my belly is shrinking. I'm down to about the last 5 lbs and have minimal extra fat anywhere else. I know from my measurements that my belly was shrinking all along but in proportion to everything else it never seemed like it did.

You should measure because appearance can be misleading. If you are prone to storing belly fat it will be the last part to go. Keep working on reducing your body fat. Realize that after 4 kids, particularly twins, your belly may never look like it did pre-kid even if it does get flat.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You should measure because appearance can be misleading. If you are prone to storing belly fat it will be the last part to go. Keep working on reducing your body fat. Realize that after 4 kids, particularly twins, your belly may never look like it did pre-kid even if it does get flat.

Yeah. Last on first off. My hips and butt have never been thin, but only last year did I gain anything on my back/arms/chest. So as I'm starting to lose? That's what's coming off first. Dropped bra band size but the pants fit the same.
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    you could also tighten up your core muscles, which will give you less of the belly look, even if it doesn't burn a ton of body fat. You'll build the muscles underneath and with the correct diet and cardio lean out overall body fat, hence losing tummy fat :)
  • radiantsunshine40
    radiantsunshine40 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm adding my tidbit.......ALL of the above sounds GRRRREAT!

One thing i've been reading up on and hearing too; is that SUGAR---HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST FAT BELLY CULPRITS OF OUR DAY!

I saw my Father do "LOW to NO SUGAR" diet for 10 months and the his belly went DOWN....DOWN....DOwn!!!!

He opt for the artificial sweetner (Sweet N Low or it's generic brands)......monitor his food intake to a certain calorie amount and excercise (was an avid jogger). He's in his early 60's now and has had a couple of surgeries...needless to say the belly is back and so is the sugar......He LOVES cakes, cookies, pies....SWEETS & SO DO I!

I said all of that to say.....Consider your sugar intake.....and also watch the fruit; because FRUIT HAS NATURAL HIGH FRUCTOSE in it!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The others are right, you can't spot reduce and losing overall body fat is how you will see a difference.

I have two kids of my own so I know how you feel about the belly fat, even before pregnancy, I usually stored most fat in my stomach. I have been doing Insanity now for 5 weeks and I've noticed the biggest change in the past month as I have the past 10 months from doing other workouts. I guess it is from the core workouts but either way I am enjoying the results so far :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Does this apply to visceral fat as well?
    Yes.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    While you can't target areas for fat loss, 30 Day Shred has reduced the inches around my belly significantly and I'm not even done with it yet! This also seems to be the case for a lot of the people I see posting photos on the 30 Day Shred photo threads. It's a 20 minute workout and you can find it for free on YouTube. Worth a shot!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

One thing i've been reading up on and hearing too; is that SUGAR---HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST FAT BELLY CULPRITS OF OUR DAY!

I saw my Father do "LOW to NO SUGAR" diet for 10 months and the his belly went DOWN....DOWN....DOwn!!!!

He opt for the artificial sweetner (Sweet N Low or it's generic brands)......monitor his food intake to a certain calorie amount and excercise (was an avid jogger). He's in his early 60's now and has had a couple of surgeries...needless to say the belly is back and so is the sugar......He LOVES cakes, cookies, pies....SWEETS & SO DO I!

I said all of that to say.....Consider your sugar intake.....and also watch the fruit; because FRUIT HAS NATURAL HIGH FRUCTOSE in it!
    It's not just about sugar though. One could over consume fat and protein and get overweight. When one goes on calorie deficit, weight will be lost. And if your father visually lost it in his belly first, it's not because he dropped his sugar pirmarily......it's because his body works that way.
    Sugar isn't bad if you're getting in the right macro/micro nutrients and staying in calorie range.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with fruit (or fructose), in fact fruit is good for you. Just fit it into your calories and macros.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No such thing as spot reduction. Lose weight to lose the belly. It's that simple.

This..and...
    And to lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. Create it how you like. Diet alone or diet plus exercise. If you want to actually look good when you are done, you should do some resistance training.

...this
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This. You lose all over. Look to your joints, especially inside elbow to see changes. Use measuring tape for belly because it is hard to see changes there. Once you get low, where the fat is off your arms and legs, then it seems to come off faster on stomach and sides for guys-that's what happened to me.