Tips for a flat stomach?

Options
I need advice! What is the most effective method to losing fat around your midsection? I've been told several different things. Some say to do specific ab exercises, eat certain foods, do strength training, do lots of cardio, and/or a combination of all of those. I just don't know which is the best way to go about it. I have been using MFP for over 4 months now and although I've managed to lose 36 lbs., now I need help losing that stubborn belly fat and tightening my skin. I can already tell a huge difference just in these 4 months, but I would really like to key in on my belly for a while.

What do I need to do?

When can I expect to start noticing results?

Sound off below! Thanks in advance y'all! =)

Replies

• Hepburneyes
    Hepburneyes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, focus on alll those things eat low fat foods and within your cal allowance. work your core (including back) to help support you and improve posture and cardio is important as it gets oxygen flowing around your body which helps to tone your skin. hope that helps! xxx
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there's no such thing as spot reduction. Meaning there's no way to lose fat in a target area. In order to get the flat stomach you want your going to have to eat at a calorie deficit. You can do this through just dieting or diet and exercise.
  • james1299
    james1299 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    May sound rude but the ONLY tip for a flat stomach is to eat less or exercise more, whatever way you choose to keep in a caloric deficit.
    Spot reduction simply does not exist, forget the woman's magazines and infomercials. Your body does not work that way.
    You have to lose fat from all over.
    Your body uses up fat stores to make up for your deficit, your body does not care which fat cells it uses first, it just follows it's genetic code.
    If you don't believe me you can try spot reducing only one side of your body to see if you can make one side skinny while the other side stays fat.

Sorry about this^^ I get furious when I see gimmicky crap on tv or in magazines (ab circle pro?? seriously?)
    You guys need to stop giving these charlatans your money
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    May sound rude but the ONLY tip for a flat stomach is to eat less or exercise more, whatever way you choose to keep in a caloric deficit.
    Spot reduction simply does not exist, forget the woman's magazines and infomercials. Your body does not work that way.
    You have to lose fat from all over.
    Your body uses up fat stores to make up for your deficit, your body does not care which fat cells it uses first, it just follows it's genetic code.
    If you don't believe me you can try spot reducing only one side of your body to see if you can make one side skinny while the other side stays fat.

Sorry about this^^ I get furious when I see gimmicky crap on tv or in magazines (ab circle pro?? seriously?)
    You guys need to stop giving these charlatans your money

^^^^ this. as annoying as it is (I have stubborn fat there too) it's the truth.

Also doing weight training helps with fat loss generally, and helps to improve your body fat percentage, and gives your body a better overall shape, and as the fat comes off you look great :)
  • paulajune87
    paulajune87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice y'all! I appreciate it! @James your post wasn't rude, I appreciate the honesty! I have been eating less and exercising more so hopefully in time I will get to where I wanna be! Thanks again everyone!
  • toremiles
    toremiles Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am actually using the ITWorks belly wraps and it has helped a lot with that the skin tightening and reducing my stretch marks appearance. I am not a distributor, I found it and have loved it. A few a my friends feel the same as well. But exercise and eating right is the biggest thing.
  • ndnyl
    ndnyl Posts: 96
    Options
    Some good advice,what a good start for some one my size to get that belly down any tips thank you
  • james1299
    james1299 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice y'all! I appreciate it! @James your post wasn't rude, I appreciate the honesty! I have been eating less and exercising more so hopefully in time I will get to where I wanna be! Thanks again everyone!
    If your weights dropping then it's just a matter of time.
    Go ahead and do some ab work if you like, they'll be there waiting for you once your bf% goes low enough for them to be visible
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I need advice! What is the most effective method to losing fat around your midsection? I've been told several different things. Some say to do specific ab exercises, eat certain foods, do strength training, do lots of cardio, and/or a combination of all of those. I just don't know which is the best way to go about it. I have been using MFP for over 4 months now and although I've managed to lose 36 lbs., now I need help losing that stubborn belly fat and tightening my skin. I can already tell a huge difference just in these 4 months, but I would really like to key in on my belly for a while.

What do I need to do?

When can I expect to start noticing results?

Sound off below! Thanks in advance y'all! =)

1.You cannot target fat on your midsection by doing ab exercises. I repeat you can't target fat on the midsection by doing ab exercises.
    2. You must reduce calories to a deficit to lose weight
    3. If your primary goal is to lose fat do “concurrent training”
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/which-workout-burns-the-most-fat.aspx