SI Dysfunction relief

Options
I'm living in Guam right now and don't have access to the type of massage and chiropractic care I was receiving in the states. A couple weeks ago my SI joint moved back into place and wasn't causing me any problems as it was prior to moving, but recently if has become incredibly painful and if I sit for more than five minutes at a time, I can barely stand up straight. When I wake up in the morning the pain is so incredible that I can't bring my self to even sit up. We're talking verge of tears, wanting to scream level of pain. Does anyone have any exercises/strength training recommendations I can do at home and with limited access to equipment?

Replies

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing right now. Its horrible. I work a 12 hour desk job and sitting is killing me. Do you have weakness in your legs from it too? I feel like my knee buckles from under me when I stand. I hope someone has some advice. I'd be interested to see. Feel better soon. :)
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm having to get injections for SI joint misalignments. Waiting to begin PT when I can get an appointment!
    The injections are for the inflammation of the muscles and ligaments caused by the misalignment.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I find the following stretch helpful when my SI joints play up....
    Lie flat on your back and pull right knee to left shoulder, repeat left knee to right shoulder.

Otherwise I try to replicate the position a Chiropractor or Osteopath uses to manipulate the joint but hold the position as a stretch, breathing fully in and exhaling completely.
    (I'm not going to describe the position as I'm not qualified and don't want random people twisting themselves into a pretzel!!)

Alternate icing and warming helps too.

You have my sympathies - it's a horrible dragging pain.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing right now. Its horrible. I work a 12 hour desk job and sitting is killing me. Do you have weakness in your legs from it too? I feel like my knee buckles from under me when I stand. I hope someone has some advice. I'd be interested to see. Feel better soon. :)

I found some stretches that you can do on YouTube. I just typed in SI relief, or something similar and it pulled up a bunch of videos. They do help and give me some relief, but I need to find some strength training and exercises that can help. And yes, I get weakness in my left leg. I have more pain in my hips though, so when I stand up, I feel as though I can put pressure or relax into my pelvis so I have to kind of walk at a strange angle. I would describe it as walking as though you really have to poop or are constipated, ha.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    OMG I'm doing the same thing!! walking at a strange angle. I feel like my pelvis is twisted and my knees aren't completely straight. I'm having a lot of pain in the back of the hip, sort of the middle of the right buttock. I'm going to check out those videos and try the stretches mentioned above. unfortunately I'm working a 12 hour shift, desk job, today. Sitting is killing me. I keep standing up but when work happens I have to sit. Its going to be a long shift. :frown:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've had SI issues, hip and leg pain for several years. Always assumed I was related to my Psoriatic Arthritis (which tends to get into your back). However, a recent MRI showed degenerative disc disease in my lower back (several bulging and 1 narrowed disc). The symptoms you are describing (including the walk) sound identical. The rheumatologist said core strength will help keep things stable. Several of those come up in youtube searches as well. Not that I know if that's your issue but core strength exercises can't hurt! :flowerforyou:
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've had SI issues, hip and leg pain for several years. Always assumed I was related to my Psoriatic Arthritis (which tends to get into your back). However, a recent MRI showed degenerative disc disease in my lower back (several bulging and 1 narrowed disc). The symptoms you are describing (including the walk) sound identical. The rheumatologist said core strength will help keep things stable. Several of those come up in youtube searches as well. Not that I know if that's your issue but core strength exercises can't hurt! :flowerforyou:

I actually fractured my spine and have a contained herniated disc, I think they just call it a slipped disc now, but my spine is all sorts of messed up. I was a former gymnast as well, so my pelvis and hips are pushed forward and because of the fractured spine, I have one leg that is way longer than the other and my hips are uneven. Its just a mess back there :)