Car Driving Calories

Options
Hi - I have posted this in the general forum as well .. but wondered if you could answer the question .. I noticed that there is listed in the exercise programs an entry for driving a car. The results i get from that are hard to believe so can someone tell me how that is calculating calories so i can actually believe what it is telling me ???

Replies

• StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I did a couple of searches and couldn't find any exercises related to driving a car, but I would have to assume that unless you power your car like Fred Flintstone your calorie burn when driving is pretty similar to your average burn while just being awake.

But I suppose you could attach resistance bands to your shift knob, disable power steering, and constantly roll the windows up and down... I think I just invented a new fad exercise program!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I couldn't find them either, and I do so much driving I'd love to think I was losing weight while doing so but I suspect it is just making me fatter.............:angry:
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Who logs "driving" as an exercise? Why not "sitting" or "sleeping"? Some people will do anything to rationalize eating junk.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well...honestly...if I were a race car driver I might put that as an activity...because the stress/intensity/heat/etc, could maybe label it an activity....I mean people knock Nascar and Indy but once you do a Nascar experience you realize how intense it is. But...the normal person putting driving a car as an activity....maybe if they are the Flinstones?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've seen it logged by friends. Personally I wouldn't log it. I've gone on some very long car trips, ate my normal calorie allowance, and I did not lose any more weight than usual. To me that means that it didn't burn any more calories than my normal routine would have done.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to say keep up the good work. As we all know driving can be quite a work out and it's good to see people on here taking it seriously.

I personally use the gas and break pedal constantly this way I not only get a work out but the people in my car (and the people behind me) get one as well.

You rock!

:flowerforyou:
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    LOL - surely this is a joke! Aaah I miss the Flintstones. And "shift knob"? That sounds dirty ha ha

If I can't find "trampolining" then there's no way you should be able to find "driving a car".
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've not seen this but unless they're racing drivers which does use a lot of mental energy then it seems rather negligible.

However, it may be fitbit users to give NEGATIVE calorie burns for time spent in the car - fitbit can pick up the movement of transport, particularly if a bumpy ride and will assign steps and therefore calories to the user accordingly. These extra calories can be removed by logging a car journey, overriding that time period and deleting any extra calories that may have been assigned.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I've not seen this but unless they're racing drivers which does use a lot of mental energy then it seems rather negligible.

However, it may be fitbit users to give NEGATIVE calorie burns for time spent in the car - fitbit can pick up the movement of transport, particularly if a bumpy ride and will assign steps and therefore calories to the user accordingly. These extra calories can be removed by logging a car journey, overriding that time period and deleting any extra calories that may have been assigned.

Interesting . . . so you mean like Jedi mind trick type stuff??

I'm very interested in how many calories that would burn as well.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Obviously we're talking F1.

Why don't you just ask your nutritionist or training coach?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I don't have an answer for you but just wanted to say keep up the good work. As we all know driving can be quite a work out and it's good to see people on here taking it seriously.

I personally use the gas and break pedal constantly this way I not only get a work out but the people in my car (and the people behind me) get one as well.

You rock!

:flowerforyou:

Wow, this is a great idea. I never thought of forcibly improving the health and fitness of drivers around me, but you are taking it up a notch, sir.

OP, I usually log driving if I go further than, say, five miles. Under five miles you don't create much of a deficit and I mean, you are probably driving to get fast food at that kind of a distance anyway, right?
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    So why are all lorry drivers fat?
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

That's an unfair generalisation, I know several lorry driver who are not fat, they're just big boned..............
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Same reason heavy plant drivers aren't all super fit.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/vibration/wbv/index.htm
  • c53204
    c53204 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would never log driving as an 'activity'. However.... I do use a HRM and have experimented with it while driving. Heart rate is higher than sitting doing nothing - especially in busy/city traffic.

Is it significant enough to log as exercise. No. My resting heart rate is around 50bpm, during sedate movement around the house around 55-60. Driving in busy traffic it went up to 65-70. Sure, that will very depending how stressed people get while driving, but an exercise worthy of logging. Nope.

If you want to log your daily calorific burn, the FitBit is the way to go.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    NOW THIS IS FUNNY!< ARE YOU SERIOUS?????
    HA HA HA HA!
    what kind of car would we be driving????
    I would love me the 2013 MASERATI GRANTURISMO CONVERTIBLE
    IN RED!!!!!
    OH BABY!!!!!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it burns something as I often wish I'd bought a car with an automatic box when I'm coming back from the gym and stuck in traffic. :sad:

One of my old cars had a triple plate clutch which was like doing weighted lunges with the left foot. It was so stiff to push in, my sister had a go and couldn't push it down far enough to engage a gear. :bigsmile:

And my old TVR which didn't have PAS was like an obliques machine when I had to park it. :laugh:
  • KarenJanine
    Options
    Perhaps its the road rage. All the stress that angry drivers seem to have must burn a few cals.
  • KarenJanine
    Options

Interesting . . . so you mean like Jedi mind trick type stuff??

I'm very interested in how many calories that would burn as well.

Too late to edit but should have said physical and mental energy (due to the intense concentration etc - apparently an F1 driver burns around 1500 cals per race).

But anyway, I am intrigued by Jedi mind trick calorie burns. I image that would be pretty high. I'll have to practice my mind control skills while wearing my HRM and see what happens :happy:
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Some uber-conscientious folks who have FitBits log driving as an activity so that it overwrites steps from bumps in the road.
    I personally think my life is too short!
    BUT - I am pretty sure I burnt a lot of calories today at the garage fretting about how much the car might cost me... !