What does a Personal Trainer DO anyway?

Options
IronSmasher
IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
On my facebook news feed, a local gym of mine has shared a page for one of their trainers.

The comment says "Needing a Monday Morning Training Buddy??"

So I was thinking, are PTs just buddies for hire?

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Depends on the trainer.

Most just stand around and stare as you do useless light weight exercises, talk to each other, then try to sell you on some supplement or bro-science nutrition plan.

Some, if you hire one who is actually committed to fitness - a real "personal" trainer that isn't just hired staff at the local gym, make you pick up heavy stuff and put it down.

I'd guess the ones at your gym are the first kind.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    It's not my gym.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Some are just friends for hire that lead you around the gym and make you think that you are working out by having you do ridiculous things.

Others actually train you and take an interest in what you want to do, what your goals are etc.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    They're probably not of much use if you know a lot about fitness yourself and are very experienced. Then all they can really do is keep motivating you and try to bring new / different things to your attention.

But if you're a fitness newbie or you have some specific problems like back problems or other health-related issues, they can help you figure out the best workout for you.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    For me, I bought 10 sessions at my local gym about 6 months ago. The only reason I took on a trainer was to perfect my form on my power-lifts, most notably deadlifts, hang cleans, and squat.

He helped me perfect my form on those lifts and prevent further injury down the line. Definitely a good investment for me.
  • Bobanji
    Bobanji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I started going to the gym, I hired a PT to get me started on a program. She took my measurements, did a health assessment on me and asked me about my goals, looked at my schedule, and did a mini physical test to observe what kind of injury history I was still dealing with. She set me up on a program, showed me a routine, and explained everything that I would be doing on the program. She explained the machines, and techniques. She explained what muscles I was working and explained heart rates and was even nice enough to explain my Body Media Link to me since I was new at that too. She walked me through my workout routine and gave me tips on what to do for the next month too. She left it up to me to schedule an appointment for the next month to see how things were going and to set me up with another routine. My trainer is wonderful but I agree, you have to find one who is committed and loves doing his/her job.
  • ArtemisMoon
    Options
    My personal trainer makes sure I don't do too much too fast and hurt myself (which I am infamous for), but he also manages to push me just far enough to make sure I keep improving. He demonstrates all the exercises for me, corrects my form, makes sure I work out a bunch of different muscles, and helps me find ways to strengthen my knees without causing more issues or pain. I have really enjoyed having a trainer.
  • Krissie_Triaxis
    Options
    Those of us who take this job seriously are more than just buddies for hire, we will progress you through your workouts, helping you achieve things you thought you couldn't do, help you get to your goals and keep those goals realistic depending on how much time and commitment you can give yourself (we're not miracle workers although we would love to be, so if you can only work out twice a week don't expect to be modelesque in 4 weeks time). We will take you out of your comfort zone regularly and help you develop good form and habits in the gym setting to reduce risk of injury. We'll advise you on food stuffs, if that's what you want and how to adjust your diet in small steps to see results but not make it too drastic so you feel deprived, and personally I'm not a fan of selling shakes etc to clients when I don't use them myself.

We'll offer alternative ways of working out, and yes even if you are experienced it can sometimes be a good idea to see a PT for a one off session to ensure you're still using good form etc. I still have a PT even though I am one.

If a PT is standing around yakking to someone else, then ditch them. They are obviously in the wrong job, because if you are paying them to help you workout and keep you on track then you should have their undivided attention.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Good trainers are always looking at ways to mix up your exercise routine and keep in interesting. They make sure you are using the correct form and help push you. I had one that I saw two days a week and we were always mixing it up sometimes doing pylomatrics and some times lifting heavy. We barely ever used the machines. It was either free weights or body weight exercises. Also for women having a personal trainer will help you break into what some women think is the boys only free weight section and help you feel comfortable there.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I've had a PT for 6 months now. Started with 3 times a week to develop my fitness level and strength. I just see him twice a week now and am now considered one of his 'advanced' clients and can do things (lift things!) I never though possible. He is always keeping me on my toes with new exercises and challenging goals. He also keeps in mind my personal goals and tailors my workouts to those too. He keeps me on track with my diet and always has tips for me to keep my meals healthy and nutritional. I honeslty wouldn't be where I am today without him...it is expensive though, but for me, worth every penny!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to has the typical "Meet the Trainers" session, where you sit down and talk with them and if you want to they figure out a training schedule for you, etc... I was weary because I mentioned that I wanted to get into weight lifting using free weights and such, but the face he gave me was "You are female, you dont' belong on that side of the gym."

So I decided to just watch for a while, observing what the trainers were doing with people that were already using their services. I am glad I did that, because the trainer doesn't seem involved in what they are doing at all. When their clients would go and start doing the workout, the trainer goes in with his Ipad and headphones and sits around playing on the tablet and not really observing them at all. I have observed some of the men he trains as well. He will sit in his office and they go and report to him what to do next. Sorry, but that isn't my idea of a good trainer.

My idea of what a Personal Trainer should do? They should be fully involved in the client they are seeing. They shouldn't be teaching an entire group of 5 women at one time. A personal trainer is just that, someone who spends one on one time personally and helps you achieve your goals on a one on one basis. I basically looked at what the trainer at my gym was doing and thought, "He is charging 40 dollars an hour for group lessons." I see a personal trainer as someone who motivates you beyond what you think you can do. They stand over you and get you to push out that last bench press that you didn't know was there. They help you mold your diet to fit your individual lifestyle and dietary needs.

That's my thought at least.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Checking for muscular imbalances that the client may have (& help correct them), building a routine around the client's goals (includes teaching exercises), track client's progress and providing motivation for client are some of the few things personal trainers do.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    It's good to see that some know what to expect.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Motivator, teacher, spotter, nutrition advice...oh yeah someone to call me a sissy and get away with it,lol.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    At Bally's, now LA Fitness, when my wife rarely worked out, one approached her and asked about her workout habits. My wife, open and honest to a fault, said something along the line of, "I just kind of workout from time to time, when I'm bored, but I really don't like to workout too hard or sweat too much." The woman told her that sounded great and my wife said, "Really?" and she said "No, but they instruct the trainers to say that to whatever gym members answer with. Now that my wife has gotten into fitness and dropped 30+ pounds, it seems the personal trainers at our gym are in charge of hitting on her until she clearly tells them she is married (since we go to the gym together, but separate after we get there).

HArd to be impressed with the Bally's/LA Fitness trainers. I once was asked to do both a fat test and a fitness test. When my numbers were good, they ignored me, which is just the way I like them.

But for people not sure of their workouts or not as self-motivated as they would like to be, I'm sure they offer some help.
  • MommaRoseFitness
    MommaRoseFitness Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My trainer is like my drill sargent and best friend. Knows to push me harder than I think I can go, and will be there to let me vent.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I was a personal trainer back years ago after completing a degree in exercise science. I was working my way to Physical Therapy. I enjoyed helping people reach their goals. My goal for any client was to teach them about helath and fitness. A typical client would start with coming in a few times a week and we would start working a plan. My job was to teach them the exercises and some variety in the routines. After a bit I would cut them down to just once a week, but make sure I saw them at least on the other day they would normally come in, in case they had questions. After that we would just meet once a week or as needed to retool and update the routines. That was ideal to me and worked well with many clients.

However, i also had a lot of folks that just used me for counting and accountability. They didn't want to learn anything and just wanted me to put them through the paces. That is finally what kind of burned me out.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer, but we don't work out in the gym. Our usual work out spot is on a local beach but every couple of weeks she'll mix it up and have me running up and down the cliff paths. We never do the same work out twice in a row. Its interval training and body weight exercises. She does everything along with me, not just stands and watches.

I hire her to give me a reason to train. I do already take some classes but i wanted to do something else, but left to my own devices my motivation wanders off. So by paying someone and knowing they are expecting me to turn up makes me go, even on days i don't want to. And i always feel better for it afterwards. She also pushes me and motivates me and encourages me to work harder. I really enjoy our sessions and think they are well worth the money. I can find routines online, i know good exercises, but as yet exercise isn't a habit for me. I'm hoping over time that the time i train with my trainer will become a habit and i won't need a trainer, it will be second nature for me to go out and do something.

She knows what my goals are. She also knows my limitations (depression, clinically diagnosed binge eating disorder) and works around them. Although she does advise me on nutrition, she doesn't completely bawl me out over the slips.

She teaches some of the classes i take, so i can always catch up with her to ask questions and i can always email her/facebook her for help when needed.