no progress, am I doing something wrong?

Options
I have been on MFP for about a week and a half now, and I havn't even lost a pound yet. I don't "re-eat" my calories burned, but I do get my 1210 every day. I have allways gone way over my "sugar" counter but I am having a REALLY hard time staying under 25g of sugar per day. Could this be what is causing the stall in my weight loss, or is it normal not to lose much your first week or so, and maybe it will pick up after your body adjust to the new eating routine?
Thanks!

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Here are some questions to ask yourself:
    enough water ?
    careful weighing and measuring of portions?
    limiting sodium?
    eating only nutritionally dense food?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Perhaps being a bit impatient. Try staying OFF of the scales. I know it's hard, because you want to see that number. I went about 5 weeks without weighing when I first started. I was rewarded with a 6lb. loss. Just put the scales away, exercise regularly, record your exercise, and eat the calories that your diary tells you to. You may also want to watch your sodium. Buy a tape measure and start measuring yourself. Even when your scale is being stupid, that tape measure won't lie. Pay attention to the way your clothes fit. Above all else, be patient! Remember, you are NOT just doing this for a number on a scale. You are doing this for your health and so you can be your very best for that little man on your lap. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    How much are you working out, i.e. how many calories do you burn? With you eating only 1210 calories per day, if you burn more than 10 calories from exercise you're effectively putting your net calories under 1200 which will put your body in starvation mode (causes your metabolism to slow down and your body to store food as far for later instead of burning what fat you have). So if you're working out a considerable amount, you need to eat enough to keep you above 1200 net calories.

Regarding your sugar, if it's from fresh fruits and veggies, then you're ok because those are natural sugars. What you want to avoid are those food with additive/processed sugars. Because eating fresh fruits and veggies always put me over I stopped tracking sugar and track sodium instead. Which leads me to my next question, are you drinking enough water and keeping your sodium under 2500 mg? Too much sodium and not enough water will cause your body to retain water which adds weight to the scale. Drinking plenty of water will flush out extra sodium and keep your body hydrated.

Another cause of water retention is starting a new workout routine because your muscles will retain water to repair muscles. After a week or so your body will get used to the workouts and release the water.

Consider everything I've said and tweak what you need to. Give it a couple of weeks and you'll start noticing a difference. Also, it's highly recommended to take measurements at the beginning and take them once a month for another way to track progress because there's too many variables to affect the scale to rely on just the scale.

Good luck!
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I kind of had the same problem too. I would suggest eating your exercise calories. I have found in the last few days, that I wasn't eating nearly enough and once I pushed myself to eat more, I am having better numbers on the scale. Or try giving yourself 1 "eat what you want" meal per week to shake up your metabolism. Give it a try!
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Patience and perseverance are critical. I think. In 5 months, I have lost 21 pounds. Many weeks, I lost less than a pound or stayed the same. Sometimes it is hard to believe that I have stuck with it all this time. I mean, I haven't been perfect - I didn't track food or exercise at all for about 10 days when I was on vacation in April, and I "indulged" on Mother's Day, Easter, and on other "special" occasions. But it is so great to be able to comfortably fit into clothes I haven't worn in a couple of years. The time really has gone by quickly and I am really proud of myself for sticking with it. Allowing myself treats and "cheats" has helped. I have also increased my exercise - not gone crazy because that just isn't me but I do SOMETHING every day even if it is only 20-30 minutes of walking or riding my stationary bike. The old cliche, "it isn't a diet, it is a life style change" is what has been keeping me going. Hope it works for you too!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It can take longer than 2 weeks for your body to adjust to your new eating habits and start losing weight. Also if you are not feeding it enough food you won't lose weight either. There is a balance between too many calories and too few calories and if you aren't in the middle you won't lose. I recommend eating the calories that MFP says to for a few months.
  • Coachsarah
    Coachsarah Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with everyone who's commented so far. You're right, your body hasn't adjusted. Also, what is your meal plan like? In the first couple of weeks of a new workout program it's best to limit your sugar intake as much as possible. That addiction is hard to break. Just as hard to quit as cigarettes. I work out regularly, and i eat the right kinds of foods that encourage weightloss. Lots of fresh raw foods, lean protein, and I eat these in 5 meals per day. Shakeology helps me curb my cravings, and because it so nutrient rich, it helps me to start my day off right. Have you tried adding a shake regimen to your diet?
  • AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the earlier posts and add one further potential point If you don't have that much to lose, you will not see a dramatic loss in the first weeks. It will be a slow and unsteady process, instead. I have almost two weeks go by with no change, and then I will have lost 1-2 pounds. It has taken me four months to lose 21 pounds, and I usually eat my exercise calories. Hang in there, as you will see a difference, and it will be a difference you can sustain over a lifetime.
  • adamsojh
    adamsojh Posts: 11
    Options
    My suggestion is to be patient. Just make sure you are excercising, drinking water, and watch what you eat(no crazy diets, just be more mindful). Ive lost 10lbs in the last month. I replaced Dr Pepper with water but I allow myself to have 1 or 2 a day instead of the 6-8 I would have normally had. I also started eating a HEALTHY salad before every meal. It fills me up quicker.