I find it interesting how... (a bit of a rant)

Options
I find it interesting (and a bit frustrating) how people think they can live off of granola bars and protein shakes and lose weight while being "healthy." I look at some of my friends diaries, or hear what my friends and coworkers are eating while they try to lose weight, and it seems like it should be obvious as to why it's not working, or why they're still hungry all the time, or why they don't have the energy.

If you want to lose weight, AND be healthy the key is sticking to whole unprocessed foods. Things like vegetables, fruits, and fresh meats (not stuff like lunch meat). These are the type of foods our bodies were designed to eat - not powerbars, slimfasts, chewy granola bars, and 100 calorie packs. It shocks me when sometimes people don't even touch a single fruit or vegetable in a day. Seriously? That's supposed to be the foundation of our whole diet. Plus, there's SO little calories in each serving, allowing you to fill your plate without feeling guilty (to an extent, of course). I mean, a cup of broccoli is ~35 calories. How can you beat that?

If you're eating a well-balanced diet and getting adequate amounts of protein and fiber in your diet, you won't feel hungry all of the time and you'll find you have a lot more energy. Especially if you try laying off of the carbs a bit more which tend to give you a more "bogged down" feeling. Protein and fiber are key elements in a diet, and it's one thing I notice a lot of people's is lacking.

So if you're current diet isn't giving the results you want, maybe it's time you revamp the way you eat. Hit the produce section of your grocery store, or explore the Farmer's Market. Buy some fruits you've never tried before, make a big salad with different ingredients and various balsamic dressings, throw together a omelet in the morning with a bunch of veggies and/or meats. Make it FUN! That's one of the best parts about veggies, fruits, and meats. You can make them/combine them ANY way you want, where as buying those prepackaged foods gets so routine and boring. So, although it may be hard at first (and trust me, it was for me... I'm in college, with little time to spare and limited cooking space considering I'm in a dorm), think of it as an adventure. Make it a goal to try a new fruit or veggie every week, find new ways of adding things together to get a new taste. Even something as simple as adding an onion to your salad can change it up. It can be as simple or as extravagant of an ordeal as you want it to be.

Replies

• LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Definitely a good post, but I'm definitely guilty of this, but I least I don't WONDER why my diet may not be effective.
    It's frustrating sometimes talking to friends and they THINK they eat healthy, when it's really easy to see they aren't.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! I feel the same way... you said exactly what I was thinking just the other day... While I feel that a little bit of processed foods as part of a balanced diet isn't going to be all that bad for someone, eating almost all processed "health" foods really isn't the way to lose weight in a healthy way for the long-run. I'm trying to create eating habits that I can keep for life - most of those processed "health" foods aren't things I would want to consume for the rest of my life. Fruits and veggies, on the other hand, are!
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of what you have written, but I think for a lot of people, moderation is the key. A lot of people just are not going to change their eating habits drastically and cut out anything that is processed. Sure - it should be a goal to eat more natural fruits, vegetables and other foods. But there are times when a granola bar or "unhealthy" cereal is what ends up keeping me on track. Or a half cup of light ice cream with (OMG) some sugar free chocolate syrup....MFP pal has definitely made me more aware of the "unhealthiness" of some foods that I wouldn't have suspected, and I try to steer away from these. But I will never give them up entirely. I think there are very few people who can stick to a completely "good for you" / unprocessed food diet for any length of time, and it is unrealistic for most of them to think they can. INCREASE the good foods, and DECREASE the bad foods. Don't eat a dill pickle for breakfast, Slimfast for lunch, and a McDonald's cheeseburger for dinner (yes, I know someone who did that on a fairly regular basis). But a little convenience or indulgence every now and then is what it will take for a lot of us to stay on the right track.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more!!
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    I can be guilty of this but normally try to keep things clean.
    However, I dont see how or why people go around talking about what others eat, why do you care? If they ask YOU for help then of course help but to create a rant about people seems like a waste of energy to me. I dont think people put their diaries out there for others to criticize it.
  • nurseskerl
    nurseskerl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Amen to the fruit and vegetables! I would be out of luck if it weren't for them, because I can have so much more without burning through my calories for the day!

I work with some people who have tried every diet, done the P90X on and off, read books about not "dieting" but listening to your body (which I believe there is SOME merit to), and then they turn around and eat crap for lunch, buy chocolate milkshakes and eat cookies and chips for snacks, and wonder why it just isn't working. Hmmm...

Rant on!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Great post and I couldn't agree more and have found myself thinking the same thing on more than one occassion!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The worst part about those diets is when they stop eating them they'll gain the weight back because they never learned how to eat healthy "real" food or portion control.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    But a little convenience or indulgence every now and then is what it will take for a lot of us to stay on the right track.

efcdcdb - I totally agree...I tried to suggest this in my original response, but you said it much more effectively.

What this post made me think of is not necessarily having to give up all processed foods, but about how many people turn to processed so-called-health-foods instead of the real health foods: Lean meats, veggies, fruits, beans and whole grains are the real health foods. A slimfast or granola bar every now and then is no big deal, but some people really do think they can eat all processed "health" foods without eating much fresh fruits/veggies at all, and that's not really good in the long-term at all.
  • PaleoIsPossible
    Options
    I agree with some of what you have written, but I think for a lot of people, moderation is the key. A lot of people just are not going to change their eating habits drastically and cut out anything that is processed. Sure - it should be a goal to eat more natural fruits, vegetables and other foods. But there are times when a granola bar or "unhealthy" cereal is what ends up keeping me on track. Or a half cup of light ice cream with (OMG) some sugar free chocolate syrup....MFP pal has definitely made me more aware of the "unhealthiness" of some foods that I wouldn't have suspected, and I try to steer away from these. But I will never give them up entirely. I think there are very few people who can stick to a completely "good for you" / unprocessed food diet for any length of time, and it is unrealistic for most of them to think they can. INCREASE the good foods, and DECREASE the bad foods. Don't eat a dill pickle for breakfast, Slimfast for lunch, and a McDonald's cheeseburger for dinner (yes, I know someone who did that on a fairly regular basis). But a little convenience or indulgence every now and then is what it will take for a lot of us to stay on the right track.

Oh no, I completely agree! I have a bowl of frozen yogurt every day... It's definitely my vice. And I eat Luna bars here and there when I'm out and about and don't have any other choice, or just when I'm in a pinch. And dark chocolate, in my opinion, is the best thing on the earth. Trust me, I definitely partake in my share of "unhealthy" and processed foods (although they do say dark chocolate is good for you... ;] ). I think you definitely need a balance - a reward here and there. What fun is life with all work and no play?

But some people just eat that stuff all the time. They think that because Klondike Slim a Bear bars are only 100 calories they can have them twice a day and still lose weight while they live off of diet bars and shakes, which is simply just not the case.
  • PaleoIsPossible
    Options
    I can be guilty of this but normally try to keep things clean.
    However, I dont see how or why people go around talking about what others eat, why do you care? If they ask YOU for help then of course help but to create a rant about people seems like a waste of energy to me. I dont think people put their diaries out there for others to criticize it.

Because sometimes people don't necessarily realize how important whole, unprocessed foods are. I read other's journals sometimes for different ideas, but I started noticing these trends. So I didn't post this to criticize people, but rather to plant a seed in their mind.
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this great reminder to increase our intake of fruits and veggies! :happy:
  • caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The worst part about those diets is when they stop eating them they'll gain the weight back because they never learned how to eat healthy "real" food or portion control.

That is so true! I am a first hand victim to that. In 1998 I lost 80 pounds I exercised but cut out 90% of the food that I enjoyed. So needless to say 12 years later I am right back to that weight I started at...this time I am trying to make sure that I am focused on a lifestyle change not a DIET. This time around I am confident I am eating in a way I can forever. I still struggle with the days I want a hot wing and allowing myself to have it because if I do I think I cheated..but in the end it is all about moderation!
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I find it interesting (and a bit frustrating) how people think they can live off of granola bars and protein shakes and lose weight while being "healthy." I look at some of my friends diaries, or hear what my friends and coworkers are eating while they try to lose weight, and it seems like it should be obvious as to why it's not working, or why they're still hungry all the time, or why they don't have the energy.

If you want to lose weight, AND be healthy the key is sticking to whole unprocessed foods. Things like vegetables, fruits, and fresh meats (not stuff like lunch meat). These are the type of foods our bodies were designed to eat - not powerbars, slimfasts, chewy granola bars, and 100 calorie packs. It shocks me when sometimes people don't even touch a single fruit or vegetable in a day. Seriously? That's supposed to be the foundation of our whole diet. Plus, there's SO little calories in each serving, allowing you to fill your plate without feeling guilty (to an extent, of course). I mean, a cup of broccoli is ~35 calories. How can you beat that?

If you're eating a well-balanced diet and getting adequate amounts of protein and fiber in your diet, you won't feel hungry all of the time and you'll find you have a lot more energy. Especially if you try laying off of the carbs a bit more which tend to give you a more "bogged down" feeling. Protein and fiber are key elements in a diet, and it's one thing I notice a lot of people's is lacking.

So if you're current diet isn't giving the results you want, maybe it's time you revamp the way you eat. Hit the produce section of your grocery store, or explore the Farmer's Market. Buy some fruits you've never tried before, make a big salad with different ingredients and various balsamic dressings, throw together a omelet in the morning with a bunch of veggies and/or meats. Make it FUN! That's one of the best parts about veggies, fruits, and meats. You can make them/combine them ANY way you want, where as buying those prepackaged foods gets so routine and boring. So, although it may be hard at first (and trust me, it was for me... I'm in college, with little time to spare and limited cooking space considering I'm in a dorm), think of it as an adventure. Make it a goal to try a new fruit or veggie every week, find new ways of adding things together to get a new taste. Even something as simple as adding an onion to your salad can change it up. It can be as simple or as extravagant of an ordeal as you want it to be.

Some people forget that they actually have to put in 'work' to see results. I find it's like the culture of entitlement. They may think that they 'deserve' to be healthy, etc. etc. and yes, they do, but you get what you put in! No excuses!
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    U really can't go off of a persons diary and judge them. U have no idea what they r dealing with etc. Maybe they r not working on weightloss right at this moment but something else and if eating 2 skinnycow ice creams is better than what they usually eat then good job for them!! U see what I'm saying?

I absolutely see what you are saying, but I also can understand smz08's (not sure if I got that right) rant. While we aren't on this site to criticize others, we certainly do LOOK at other posts and diaries, and I don't think it is so wrong to comment. In fact, many people are looking for help, right?

Now, don't get me wrong, because I understand that everyone is different, and I don't mean to imply that it is an AGE thing, BUT some people are older and wiser than others. At 52 (soon to be 53), I have personally "been there, done that", as well as having worked for the past 30 years in various office settings with co-workers trying to diet, and have many friends and relatives with the same struggles. Fasting, starving, eating 100% healthy 100% of time, doing a lot of exercise every day.....just isn't going to work for the majority of people. Being on this site, and reading posts from people who think that it will work, or should be working but isn't, is going to result in "rants". So, I will post my own rant: moderation, moderation, moderation! :bigsmile:
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    i soo agree with you... less than 1200 a day protein shakes and bars... i mean thats not naturall.. how can we expect a natural shape from it? they are designed by companies that want you to buy it then want you to keep on buying it!
    why not shape it as something you "need" post workout rather than water and healthy carbs? seriously who do they think theyre kidding? so if you eat protein you somehow magically pop in onto the lost fat area as muscle? how idiotic! our bodies process everything we eat into sugars before all else....simple as!
  • sblim
    sblim Posts: 99
    Options
    I remember there was a woman in a office I used to work in who rightly recognized she needed to change her diet and eat healthy as she was probably 100+lbs overweight. I used to walk by her desk and she would be drinking a large coke, eating a salad with bacon bits (who knows what else) and croutons and use almost an entire bottle of ranch dressing. Afterwards she would wonder why she wasn't losing weight. The reality is most people aren't very educated about healthy eating.
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I completely agree, with everything nearly everyone has said. Whole foods are best, that's what our bodies were designed to use. A dreaded "processed" granola bar, in a pinch, is a better choice than a Big Mac. And, a slim-a-bear is better than a pint of Ben and Jerry's, moderation! We can't "judge" one another by journal entries, and I don't think that was anyone's intention, but I have seen far too many 'I drink three slim fasts a day, and eat two fiber one bars, exercise for 2 hours, but don't eat my exercise calories. Why am I always hungry?' posts. There seems to be a desperate lack of nutrition education.

Something that really irks me, is people who claim they are too busy to eat healthy. (As a full time graduate student, working about 60-80 hrs/wk, I used to be one of these people.) The truth is, it is no more convenient to pick up a 100 calorie pack of cookies/crackers/chips as it is to pick up a pear/apple/banana. When you get home from the store you can put carrot sticks, celery sticks, broccoli florets, strawberries, grapes in snack size baggies (some store have mini-bags now too) and make them as convenient as any 100 calorie pack (and they're far fewer than 100 calories! and more filling). If you're dying for salty, they also have 100 calorie raw almonds (or you can bag your own almonds for a cheaper alternative).

It's all about choices. You can choose to say you don't have time. Or you can choose to do.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Great post & like many here... I completely agree with you. I try not to play "food police" but it's difficult not to comment when they complain about their lack of success. Relying on pills, shakes, bars, 100 calorie packs, lean cuisines, processed "diet" foods in general, etc... to lose weight is a slippery slope. I'm trying my best to make healthy & realistic food changes that will be a part of my life forever. I refuse to ever let this weight come back.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Agree with the original post. This thread is going into "Links in MFP you want to read again and again." What a smart young woman!