Protein Shakes and Weightloss?

Options
Has anyone lost weight drinking protein shakes on a daily basis? I heard it's not a good idea to drink them if you're not trying to put on mass. But is it okay as long as it fits within your macros?

Replies

• Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 protein shakes a day/2 scoops each (about 46 protein per shake/ 220 calories). I eat 2400 calories a day. The shakes are great if you are exercising. They do not add mass unless you are taking one specifically for gaining mass. They provide protein that your body uses during/after a workout. When you eat few carbs and lots of protein your metabolism enters ketosis and burns fat instead of carbs.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yep, I mix protein powder with water or almond milk for a shake after a workout. Also mix a scoop of it into my oatmeal. I have lost weight!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just an efficient way of getting extra protein into your diet. Many people use them to supplement their current protein intake - and they are a good recovery drink after a workout.

If you're trying to build muscle mass, protein shakes can help you increase your calorie intake without feeling like you are eating a lot of extra food.

If you're in a calorie deficit, it's perfectly fine to have a shake, as long as it fits in your macros and calorie goals.
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    Just choose ones with good, wholesome ingredients and not a lot of sugar. I love muscle milk.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have two protein shakes each day. One in the morning (I have never eaten breakfast, so I make a super healthy smoothie with a scoop of protein powder), and one at night. I don't workout really hard, but I do need the protein. I am just learning to eat healthier and actually cook for myself, so the whey protein is helpful in the meantime. And yes, I am losing weight. :bigsmile:
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You also need to decide if you are using the protein shake for just a workout drink or as a meal replacement. There are Quick Release proteins, Medium Release, and Sustained Release proteins. A quick release is for before/after a workout, a sustained release is more for a meal replacement. Syntrax Matrix contains all 3 so it works for the workout time and continues to release protein over a period of time.
  • jayh064
    Options
    I'm seeing the word "macros" tossed around a lot on the boards this morning - maybe I'm tired and stupid from staying up late watching the Oscars, but what's it mean?
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Macro = Macronutrients = Protein, Carbohydrates, Fats
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight while taking a protein shake. Many people use them after a workout. I use Shakeology for extra protein, probiotics, vitamins.. I have it for breakfast, it can help you stay full while staying at a calorie deficit.
    You can make your own as well with whatever ingredients you like for added protein, or add whey protein as well. There are a lot of options available but as long as you are within your calorie goal you will lose weight.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are usually used to help people meet their protein goal if they struggle to get it from food alone. If you can reach your daily target of protein with lean meat etc. then you do not need to drink shakes. They are not inteded as a weight loss aid per se.

If you are looking for a meal replacement shake, that is something different that is designed to be drunk in place of real food (e.g. Slim Fast shake) - which supposedly have the correct balance of macro and micronutrients for a complete meal.

ETA: You will not add mass unless you are eating at a calorie surpus. If you use protein shakes and stay under TDEE then you will still lose fat.
  • jayh064
    Options
    Thanks, dfonte!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Muscle Pharm Combat protein powder has a bunch of different types of protein and it can help keep you full. ON's Pro Complex is similar. I only use protein shakes to meet my protein requirements though, not sure if this would work strictly for losing weight. That may be more of a meal replacement shake you need as some of the others have stated.
  • benflando
    Options
    Protein shakes will help you lose weight. They're easy and a super clean alternative to getting protein in.
  • dfonte
    Options
    I like protein shakes as well, but here's something else to consider.

One scoop of my powder has 25g protein, 140 calories, and I think maybe 1 or 2 grams of carbs.
    A Bumble Bee Pouch of Salmon (usually only a dollar) has 28g of protein, 120 calories, and 0 carbs.
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You also need to decide if you are using the protein shake for just a workout drink or as a meal replacement. There are Quick Release proteins, Medium Release, and Sustained Release proteins. A quick release is for before/after a workout, a sustained release is more for a meal replacement. Syntrax Matrix contains all 3 so it works for the workout time and continues to release protein over a period of time.

What kind would you say 100% Body Fortress Premium Whey Protein Powder is?
  • dfonte
    Options
    Whey is a quick release, which is why so many drink it following workouts. Not too protein savvy - but I know casein (spelling?) is a slower releasing protein that would be better at night so it fuels while you sleep.
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    I drink a meal replacement drink once a day. Vitacost Walker's Diet Replacement Drink. I use a shaker bottle and it mixed up really nice, and tastes pretty good too. Keeps me feeling full until my next meal. 180 calories, 1 carb, 24g protein, and a lot of good vitamins for you too.
  • kcallas88
    Options
    i lost the first 6lbs drinking atleast one protein shake a day.

i've another 9 lbs drinking two protein shakes a day...i don't eat nearly enough protein in my day so i need a supplement.

Although my goal is to maintain muscle and lose fat, so therefore i need a lot of protein daily so it works out.