Lost 7lbs in 2 weeks - still struggling with the snack habit

Options
Since starting MFP I have really made a difference to the types of foods I eat e.g. poached eggs or Weetabix for breakfast instead of high sugar / calorie cereals. I am also adding a lot more salad to meals to bulk up to make me feel fuller and gain vital nutrients and vitamins.

I have lost 7lbs doing this along with hitting the gym (which I was already doing - I'm just trying to push myself that little more).

But I am still struggling with the snack habit - today already I have had some wotsits (with my lunch) and a kitkat chunky as a snack.

I drink loads of green tea and water as I am trying to make sure I'm not thirsty as opposed to hungry.

So I was wondering, when you get an attack of the munchies what do you go for that is healthy but leaves you feeling satisfied (note I have also had fruit today too).

I consider nuts but then I end up consuming way more calories than a packet of crisps for example! I don't want to deny myself, I have never dieted in my life and to be honest I do not consider MFP a diet - to me it is a change of habit and one that I intend to continue.

Suggestions please!

Replies

• eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2-3 hours and am typically so full that it's hard for me to think about snacking, haha. I make homemade protein bars that look/taste like brownies, but are only 99 calories and are full of protein/fiber. Other snacks consist of plain, nonfat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, a banana, or some other fruit.

It sounds to me like you're craving sugar more than snacks by the things you've listed. A piece of fruit should do the trick. It's not the best thing for making you feel full, but it's better than straight-up candy. :)
  • pocketgigi
    Options
    Would love to get your recipe for your homemade protein bars!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    You'd be better off with the nuts than the crisps. You need the nutrition. The healthy fats and fiber in the nuts will leave you feeling satisfied longer. The carbs just make you hungrier.

If you are snacking a lot, try eating bigger meals, or maybe more food in general. If I don't eat 500 calories at once I don't feel satiated, and there's got to be protein and fat in there. Have a good mix of protein, fat and carbs in every meal.

• Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    I tend to do greek yoghurt with a banana and made some homemade chocolate beetroot cake the other day which actually had less calories per serving that the KitKat chunky! So maybe I should do batches of that instead :-) The protein brownies sound great!

I know I shouldn't beat myself up - I have made considerable improvements to my diet in the past 2 weeks and do think a lot more about what I should be eating rather than thinking oh I'll have a slice of bread with my dinner.

Need to do a food shop so I'm going to stock up on some goodies!

Thanks for the response!
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    Thank you - will try the nuts. I am a lot better at portion control since starting MFP so I should hopefully not overdo it!

I tend to think I have fairly biggish meals - a lot of it is homemade so I can have a fairly decent portion without it having too much of an impact calorie wise e.g. homemade lasgne packed full of veg is around 60o cals as opposed to a lot more for the ready ones or restaurant.

I'll get there! Only 2 weeks in. Just want to get to a point where I just have a couple of squares of chcocolate as opposed to the whole bar!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    if they fit in your calories and macros - i don't see the point in depriving yourself. snickers are my downfall but i'll fit one in every now and again.
  • hlbowers
    Options
    When I pack my lunch for work, I do sometimes put in those snacks, but I pack the 'fun size' or count out a certain number of peanut M&Ms to have. You're forced to stop at the right amount of calories, because you didn't bring the whole bag with you. Also, try freezing your grapes - they're just like hard candy.
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    I don't plan to completely deny myself - but I just feel like I shouldn't be doing it everyday. Generally I keep within my calorie intake and my figures for dietry intake such as fats, protein, carbs etc are all pretty much as they should be.

Another problem I have is I work from home, so unless my husband locks up the kitchen it's pretty easy to gain access to :-)
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I think that raw / plain almonds or other nuts make a good snack and as long as you measure out a serving and only bring that with you, you don't overdo it. Also while the raw plain nuts I think are tasty, they aren't nearly as addictive as roasted and salted nuts which also makes it easier to control portion sizes.

One of my favorite snacks is baby carrots dipped in hummus.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I was staying away from mixed nuts for the same reason, I ate too many! I found a little container that holds one ounce. I fill the container and then put the jar away. I eat one nut at a time. It works out well for me. As for crisps I eat sun chips in the little bags for portion control. I'm new at this (9 lbs in 5 weeks) but these snack habits work for me! Good luck!
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    I chew gum a lot for the oral fixation. Or have little hard candies just to keep me occupied.
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I chew gum a lot for the oral fixation. Or have little hard candies just to keep me occupied.

That is what I am trying to do right now. Are there any low cal snacks that help? I work and study from home and tend to want something to chew while concentrating.