Officially confused....caliper BF measuring

Options
Ok. I'm not new to the fitness world but I am definitely a lil confused and bewildered right now to say the least. To make a long story short (any answers to this question will probably spark more convo) I have used almost every skin fold formula there is... I have used the 7 site the most.... Keep getting around 7-8% and I just know that's false!!! I have to be more that that.

Here's the stats... Please help or clarify. Will provide more if needed.

Height: 5'9"
Weight approx: 172
Waist: 34"
Neck: 15 1/2"

I've taken all the mm caliper measurements and I am fairly lean but have a softer midsection right now. I'm just real confused why I keep getting such a low reading when I'm nowhere near as ripped as I used to be.

What is going on!?!?!?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'm not new to the fitness world but I am definitely a lil confused and bewildered right now to say the least. To make a long story short (any answers to this question will probably spark more convo) I have used almost every skin fold formula there is... I have used the 7 site the most.... Keep getting around 7-8% and I just know that's false!!! I have to be more that that.

Here's the stats... Please help or clarify. Will provide more if needed.

Height: 5'9"
    Weight approx: 172
    Waist: 34"
    Neck: 15 1/2"

I've taken all the mm caliper measurements and I am fairly lean but have a softer midsection right now. I'm just real confused why I keep getting such a low reading when I'm nowhere near as ripped as I used to be.

What is going on!?!?!?
    Thinner skin? It loses elasticity with age and I believe does get thinner, so that would make sense.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WJMont
    WJMont Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So would you say that's an accurate reading? Or am I doomed to hopelessly guess my BF forever? Lol
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the measurements method with a tape measure to compare? You can google some sites that have it. That's what I usually use and I find it pretty accurate.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the caliper test yourself or having someone else do it for you. Readings will come out weird if youre trying to do them yourself because it's harder to measure properly.
  • WJMont
    WJMont Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The only ones I attempt to do myself are the thigh, abdominal, and right above the hip bone
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the caliper test yourself or having someone else do it for you. Readings will come out weird if youre trying to do them yourself because it's harder to measure properly.

This is what I was curious about as well. It's best to have a trained person doing the measurements.