exercise calories...eating them back?

Options
Do you eat back the calories you've burned while exercising?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You should - MFP has you at a deficit with the calorie goal set for you before exercise. Meaning you could eat to goal, do zero exercise, and still lose weight. That's why when you log your exercise cals they are added back into your goal for the day - not eating them creates too large of a deficit, and can cause problems for ya in the long run.

Food is fuel!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am doing TDEE/BMR so no, I don't.

But, if you are doing it the way MFP sets it up for you then yes you should be.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    only if my net is below my calories. then I eat them back
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I don't. Never saw the point.
  • GoffGirl1029
    GoffGirl1029 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do if I'm hungry, I don't if not. To me, forcin' myself to eat if I'm not hungry, even if it's for the sake of gettin' calories, seems counter-productive. I see it causin' more bad "stuffin' my face" habits.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I am doing TDEE/BMR so no, I don't.

But, if you are doing it the way MFP sets it up for you then yes you should be.

TDEE takes your exercise into account, so you actually are.
  • HankSquats
    Options
    Depends, Are you calorie cycling? are you below your deficit for the day?

I normally just make myself a sandwich or have a protein shake if I'm dangerously below (like 400-1000kcal) and that's only to bring myself to 200 calories above 1200kcal most of the time.

But then again I bike 10 miles 5x a week so I sort of have to eat.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm not stupid.
  • debendavey
    Options
    As per the last post, Most definately if I feel hungry (and not just thirsty due to not taking in enough water during exercise), and more often than not, I do - as another post pointed out, MFP already provides a pretty good deficit toallow you to reaxch your goal, so there is no need to reduce it more. That said, there is nothing wrong if occasionaly you feel satisfied with what you have eaten, not hungry and you burn more calories up.

Of course, the danger is the afterburn effect - where exercise continues to burn calories well after finishing. So if, by not eating the calories you have burnt you are finding the next day you are extra hungry and over-eating, then you know what to do...
  • awade218
    awade218 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try to, It can has turned out to be harder then I thought to eat them back. My morning workout I burn 800-1200 calories. WIthout eating a bunch of bad calories it can be hard to hit my 1600 goal MFP has set. Basically I have to find a healthy way to eat 2800 calories a day. 2 Eggs white omelets, protien shake, tablespoon of cheese in the morning is like 200 calories. so OMG i have to eat 2600 more. I just am not that hungry anymore. So, I know I SHOULD eat them back. I just dont want to eat crap to do it.
  • HankSquats
    Options
    I try to, It can has turned out to be harder then I thought to eat them back. My morning workout I burn 800-1200 calories. WIthout eating a bunch of bad calories it can be hard to hit my 1600 goal MFP has set. Basically I have to find a healthy way to eat 2800 calories a day. 2 Eggs white omelets, protien shake, tablespoon of cheese in the morning is like 200 calories. so OMG i have to eat 2600 more. I just am not that hungry anymore. So, I know I SHOULD eat them back. I just dont want to eat crap to do it.

What this person said.

high-five.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them all back, but lately I haven't been hungry. I do make sure my net is 1200 or above though. If your hungry, do so. Sometimes I eat a little bit more on another day and it evens out. As someone already said, if your following MFP the deficit is already calculated for you.
  • HankSquats
    Options
    Moral of the story OP.

Eat them back to the point where you feel comfortable. Don't do it with junk either. And it's sometimes good to save 100-200 calories of your workout Deficit if you're cycling calories to avoid a plateau.

Because your body is, for a lack of a better term a total **** and I've had days where I NEEDED something in me because my workout deficit was putting me in the negatives and I felt it.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Add the yolks back in or cook your egg whites in olive oil! Then, have a full serving of cheese. There, I just doubled your breakfast and kept it healthy.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

What about eating the whole egg? Egg yolks are not crap. You can also add a little more cheese, and maybe some fruit.
  • HankSquats
    Options

What about eating the whole egg? Egg yolks are not crap. You can also add a little more cheese, and maybe some fruit.

Yeah egg yolk's are pretty good. White's have about 3.9 G of protein but the yolk has 2.9G.

More protein is a good thing, never a bad.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Using MFP as designed ... and eat back every single one*

*I use a heart rate monitor ... calorie counts are pretty good

*My activity level is set to sedentary ... so I'm not "double counting"

*I log actual workouts ... not shopping, or walking at a leisurely pace. ........my point is be conservative

The PURPOSE .... for those that don't "get it" ...... when your calorie deficit is too large you risk burning muscle mass (along with fat) .... I am interested in reducing my body fat% .... losing muscle counteracts that.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't, it's too much for me. On work out days, I usually add 200-300 calories to my 1200 set by MFP, but no more than that.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You should - MFP has you at a deficit with the calorie goal set for you before exercise. Meaning you could eat to goal, do zero exercise, and still lose weight. That's why when you log your exercise cals they are added back into your goal for the day - not eating them creates too large of a deficit, and can cause problems for ya in the long run.

Food is fuel!

I do because of what she said. Plus I love to eat.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i dont.