Has anyone done the Mediterranean Diet?

Options
I am wanting to try the Mediterranean Diet they say it is one of the best for your heart.

Replies

• Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I read up on it last year but decided to go with a Primal/Paleo lifestyle instead. Not that the Med. diet looked bad, but gluten is an issue with me.

I vote for trying it, experimentation is the spice of life! See if it works for you!

Best!
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm especially keen on the bit that says you can have 7 glasses of wine a week particularly with meals :wink:

I'm looking at this link. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/health/mediterranean-diet-can-cut-heart-disease-study-finds.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I just eat healthy fats already. It's better for the heart when compared to the typical american diet (whatever that is.) I'm not sure what the basis for comparison is. "Less Saturated fats than the typical american diet" is a troublesome phrase for me.

That being said, you could pretty much update your macros on MFP to reflect different fat goals without having to adopt any particularly named diet.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When you say "done the Mediterranean Diet," OP, do you realize it's not a "set plan to lose weight"? It's literally what people in the Mediterranean eat, hence their "diet."
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    When you say "done the Mediterranean Diet," OP, do you realize it's not a "set plan to lose weight"? It's literally what people in the Mediterranean eat, hence their "diet."
    Indeed, this as well.
    If the goal is to lose weight, It won't make a difference unless there's a caloric deficit.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Seven glasses of wine a day?

I've been subscribing to THIS part of the diet for years.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    High consumption of olive oil (emphasis on consuming monounsaturated fat)
    High consumption of fruits, vegetables, breads, cereals (such as pasta, beans, nuts and seeds).
    Moderate consumption of fish and poultry.
    Moderate consumption of wine (two to three times a week).
    Low consumption of eggs and red meat.

You might not lose a ton of weight but you will have better cholesterol levels.