Gaining in the war on obesity...losing the battle against so

Options
Sup guys,
I am having the toughest time trying to eat healthy and not TRIPLE my sodium intake for the day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Try to eat as much fresh foods as you can. Avoid packaged foods, frozen dinners, canned soups, etc. Try to stick with fresh fruits and vegetables. Eat lots of salad, meats you grill or bake yourself, if you are going to eat pasta or rice choose the plain kind not the packaged seasoned kind.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    1. Stop eating processed foods. Salt helps preserve food to keep it on the shelf longer, they are all packed w/ sodium.
    2. Only shop the perimeter of the grocery store. That's where you find all the whole fresh foods.
    3. Eat out less than once a week. If you didn't make it yourself you won't realy know what you're putting in your body.

When you do have a high sodium day drink a ton of water to help flush it out.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Avoid light dressings. Go with the regular version but smaller amount.
    Stay away from fast foods. Even if it's grilled, it most likely carries a high sodium count.
    If you buy canned or packaged items, look for the items marked "low sodium".
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts, unless you are preparing your own food you just have no idea what is in it. I spend a few hours on Sundays to make my lunch "menu" for the coming week, precook chicken breasts for lunches, wash and cut veggies and portion them out in baggies, and prepare anything else. I find if I have these things prepared I won't grab something for convenience.

Whenever you are tempted to grab something prepared just remember that you are creating yourself with every little choice you make throughout the day and you obviously want to create a healthier YOU . . . so stick to those "clean and natural" foods.

Good luck to you!
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I have the same problem, yeserday was the first day I was under my sodium allowance! Its because I eat those pre made dinners that are full of sodium, but for now until I shrink my stomach more I need to eat them to help me portion control!
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Seasoning packets seem to be really bad, like Taco Seasoning...:noway: Forget about the packaged foods and canned foods. But if you have to buy canned veggies, make sure it reads No Salt Added, or Low Sodium, cuz it's going to have Sodium anyway :smile:

Here are the top 20 individual food sources of sodium in the American diet, which was based on the combination of frequency of consumption and sodium content:
    1. Meat pizza
    2. White bread
    3. Processed cheese
    4. Hot dogs
    5. Spaghetti w/sauce
    6. Ham
    7. Catsup (ketchup)
    8. Cooked rice (the way it’s seasoned, as plain rice contains no sodium at all)
    9. White roll
    10. Flour (wheat) tortilla
    11. Salty snacks/corn chips
    12. Whole milk
    13. Cheese pizza
    14. Noodle soups
    15. Eggs (whole/fried/scrambled)
    16. Macaroni w/cheese
    17. Milk, 2%
    18. French fries
    19. Creamy salad dressings
    20. Potato chips

Use herbs to add flavor to your food, instead of added salt :0) Hope this helps :blushing:
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some good protien drinks/shakes. I buy the hammer nutrition whey protein (vanilla or Chocolate) I milk with skim milk (and a little fresh fruit or splenda). This will give you some great protein without the sodium, or too many calories.

I love cottage cheese, but it is high in sodium. So I have been replacing that with a greek yogurt with nuts or granola as a snack.

I try to eat low sodium for breakfast and snack this way I can have a tunafish sandwhich for lunch and not worry about the sodium in that.

When you grill things, season with stuff that is low in sodium. I think mrs. dash has several versions that are low or no sodium.

Also how about trying some homemade chicken or steak fajitas. Lots of peppers, onions, mushrooms & meet. Eat them without the tortillas, use either no cheese or lowfat cheese. I like the lawry's fajita seasoning packet. It does have sodium, so I only use about 1/4 of the package. This way you still get the flavor without too much salt.

Keep fighting and keep trying new foods. It really helps.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You've received some great advice here, and I don't have much to add other than start reading labels. So many items that are touted as healthier choices are loaded with sodium. Some big things I have changed are:

1) No more lunch meat. I cook extra chicken breast, turkey cutlets, and I was told that BumbleBee Tuna has a Light version to try. I also make my own taco meat with seasoning from the cupboard rather than the storebought mix.
    2) Switch to corn tortillas (just today). I have not compared yellow to white, but 2 white corn tortillas for 110 calories, 23 carb, and only 10 mg sodium are a nice alternative for breakfast burritos or little quesadillas for lunch. I was using La Tortilla Factory stuff (300 mg sodium).
    3) Jello pudding has been a treat for me - easy to mix and pour into my own little serving containers and store in the fridge. However, the cooked variety has about 2/3 less sodium than the instant variety. I could cut it out all together and make gelatin but that does not come in chocolate flavor!

It is a battle but reading labels diligently will help. Sometimes the full version of something and using less really is healthier than a light, low-fat, or whatever version. Good luck!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I would agree with the above and add keep the salt in the cabinet and use a lot of fresh (or dried) herbs and spices. You won't miss the salt. Mrs. Dash is wonderful. My husband the salt-aholic hasn't noticed! I never go over on my sodium and I follow the above and this advice.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's all about becoming a smart shopper... everyone's given some great advice. I struggled with this at first and learned that the biggest thing is to read labels. You don't have to give all pre-packaged foods up - There's almost always a lower-sodium version available. I like bringing lunchmeat sandwiches to work, but had to switch to a different brand of both meat and bread to reduce the sodium. The types I use now aren't too bad. I love cottage cheese, and found there is a high variety in sodium content - I buy the lowest sodium content type, which allows me to enjoy a serving or two and not go over in sodium as long as I watch what I eat the rest of the day. Quite a few of the canned beans (black, pinto, garbanzo, etc.) come in no-sodium-added versions. Fresh fruits/veggies have very little sodium - some types of veggies have slightly higher natural sodium levels, but if you're avoiding processed foods it won't be a problem.
  • docsmith
    docsmith Posts: 4
    Options
    Some very good info everyone (yeah Shameka I know you told me so lol)!!! Thanks guys!