Middle of the night eating...

Options
Sid1988
Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
Does anyone else ever wake up in the middle of the night to eat?

I don't know why i do it but i find myself eating cereal about 2am - it's like i am sleep walking and i do not usually remember doing it until i wake up and see the bowl.

Obviously i am worried about this affecting my calorie intake and i'm wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on how to stop as it's becomming a bit of a habit and a habit i would definitely like to kick.

Replies

• hannahephillips
    hannahephillips Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do that! It's kinda worrying me too! it is like sleep walking and eating. I think its better when i drink enough water through the day as this stops me being hungry and then waking up.....maybe drink water before you go to bed?
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My hubby does that. I figured it was his meds (prescribed pain meds) that caused it.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Lol I did it last night because there was a massive thunderstorm that woke me up at 2:00 am (that and my chicken- I mean dog- who hates thunder!). Any way I ended up having a bowl of cereal and some chocolate chips and peanut butter :(

So anyway, besides last night's setback, I have basically been able to kick my middle of the night eating in the butt. I used to do it every night and it contributed to my 25 lb weight gain. What I did was when I woke up in the middle of the night I would NOT let myself go to the kitchen. Unless I had to go to the bathroom I wouldn't let myself get out of bed. I would do whatever I had to do to get back to sleep (count backwards from 100, fantasize about my favorite movie star lol, you get the idea). After a couple weeks my body adjusted and I stopped waking up at that time.

Just make sure that you are eating all of your allotted calories so you aren't actually hungry at that time. If you are then it really is "mind over matter".
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    I did this for years! I would get up and eat and eat anything and everything, even things i am alergic too! i gained 40 lbs!!!!! it was caused by emotinal issues and became habbit, i am happy to say for 4 years i am free of doing this all the time! every 6 months or so i relapes, late night i ate a donut and i paid for it big time, try drinking a large glass of water and go back to bed! it can be hard at first but it get easier.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I worked 3rd shift for many years and even when I'd be off I'd want food at 3am...I fought it up to this summer..I've been saving some later snack usually a piece of fruit for around 9 or 10 and I'm full till morning now.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. Not sleep-eating, though, but waking up with real hunger and not being able to get back to sleep without eating. Typically, I would leave a banana by my bed. It was very annoying, but if I didn't eat, I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep again. Once I started low-carb, this problem has stopped. Sometimes I do wake up with mild hunger, but usually I am able to fall back asleep without eating.
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have SF jello in the fridge at all times, I to am a midnight eater. Jello seems to work for me.
  • Jodi_Hiking4Fitness
    Options
    I have SF jello in the fridge at all times, I to am a midnight eater. Jello seems to work for me.

This is a fantastic idea! Unfortunately, I do not know what I eat when I sleep walk. But maybe if I have that in the fridge I will go for it :)