Running in small streches or one long strech?

Options
I find running really boring. I’ll usually go out for about 15 minutes twice a day as I live in the city and its hard to do much else in terms of exercising out doors. Is this bad, or is better to do one 30 minute stretch? (even though after 15 minutes I'll be bord to tears? Will it really matter if I do long streches or short?)

Replies

• mara16bryan
    Options
    I am a huge fan of interval running! I go at different speeds and inclines to get my heart rate into different zones and then work in stretches of walking. I wear a heart rate monitor to tell me what zone I am in. I usually switch it up every two to three minutes and work in a few all out sprints, but I definitely do not run at full speed for 15 or 30 minutes because I would hate running if I had to do that! Try making a playlist on a music player with upbeat songs that are 2-3 minutes long and then change up your speed with each song. I think you will like it a whole lot more!

I see nothing wrong with doing two 15 minute blocks instead of one 30 minute block.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    It's going to be good for you whether your split it up or prolong it.. Just as long as your getting at least 30 mins of exercise a day.. The goal is just to get your heart rate up =)
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i do cardio every day. i lift weights 3x a a week. i hate cardio too so i do 20 mins everyday and if you think about it it would add up to a 40 min run of three times a week. same results i think. i could be wrong but it a thought.

xoxo,
    nikki
  • shoegirl01
    shoegirl01 Posts: 17
    Options
    I just asked my bro, and he may be crazy he said you have to run for at least 22 mintues to make any difference. Crazy??
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I read (I think on some WW info) that cardio excercise needs to raise your heart rate for at least 10 minutes to be effective. So 15 minute stretches you should be golden!
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    Instead of finding ways to shorten your run because it is boring, why not find a way to make the run less boring? If you have an ipod or zune, look in to podcasts. They are nearly all free, and can really make the time pass. Once you find one you like, just make sure that you listen to it ONLY when you are running - that way you start can start to associate the podcast with running, and before you know it you'll be looking forward to your runs instead of dreading them.

One podcast I highly recommend is Savage Love, I only lament that it's only recorded once a week.
  • amyfritz
    amyfritz Posts: 33
    Options
    Michelle is right.. Cardio has to be for 10 minutes at a time to be counted.. So your 15 minutes are great.