Best Way to Build Upper Body Strength? - Plz Help

Options
I've recently decided to get more motivated this year (Eating Better, Working out more, etc).. However I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to build upper body strength? I'm a novice so I'm thinking pushups (20) every day to start?.. Should I be doing weights at the gym as well? I don't want to push myself too hard as I want to start off slow then work my way up to advance level.. Any tips or suggestions would be great.. Thanks!

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Push-ups are a great start. Do you have a smart phone? If so take a look at the Runtastic push up app, it slowly increases the number of push-ups to do during each session with prescribed rest times per sets.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Push-ups are a great start. Do you have a smart phone? If so take a look at the Runtastic push up app, it slowly increases the number of push-ups to do during each session with prescribed rest times per sets.

I have an Iphone .. Is it free? I'm cheap and don't pay for apps.. lol
  • erinsueburns
    Options

Yep, there is a free version. Don't know what the restrictions are on that, but I started with the free and liked it so I paid.
  • dxtra30
    Options

Yep, there is a free version. Don't know what the restrictions are on that, but I started with the free and liked it so I paid.

Looked on the App store on Iphone and all I see is the PRO edition for Push Ups.
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Bump
  • kimberly728
    Options

Looked on the App store on Iphone and all I see is the PRO edition for Push Ups.

there is an app called just 6 weeks. its a 100 pushup challenge. i used the free one for awhile but then i paid the 99 cents to get the upgrade.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    pushups, dips, presses, pullups, overheadpress, deadlifts.
  • Anycleavers
    Anycleavers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What everyone here said, pushups. When I started the "7 weeks to 100 pushups" I could barely eke out 2 correct pushups. I'm now doing multiple sets of 15's and 20's.
    Do some reading to make sure you have the correct form and start slow, you will be amazed at yourself in no time. Now,
    GO
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Cool!.. Thanks for heads up!
  • erinsueburns
    Options

Weird, I don't know where it went to. I see the free versions of all the other ones there. Sorry, I usually recommend that one because there are (or rather were) free versions for both Iphone and android.