Dr verses TDEE

Options
I just did a post the other day about not losing, working out..etc... I changed my stats to Custom in MFP.

Per Scooby, 20% recommended

BMR 1585
TDEE 2457
Daily 1965

Carb 45%
Protein 35%
Fat 20%

Upon searching I keyed in the TDEE as my goal, will not eat back the burned calories but not go below my BMR. Hope I got that part right.

I had a check up today and the Dr knows my struggles. Low BP, high HR and I am not losing, but working out fine. I did get the spill eat more do less as somedays I would do the 1450 as set per MFP and do 2-3 classes in one day and pretty much burn what I ate.

The Dr is not sold on the stats above as for me eating 2457 Calories but burning 2500 a week. I use a HRM. I average 500 per class, sometimes MORE. Her mindset is that the 1450 was ok but never gave me any idea how to help me.

How do you figure out what is right and what will work? All I know is past 2 months I have lost a few inches, but weight is not dropping hardly at all. I began at 1200, then went to 1450 now I want to go by my TDEE and try that.

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Personally, while a Doctors opinion is better than most things online Doctor's get barely any nutrition training throughout med school.

Try the TDEE method for a few weeks if you want to try that. Give it at least 4-6 weeks before you change anything after following a new plan as it takes time for your body to get used to things.

I have had great luck with the TDEE method as have a lot of other people here.

Can you see a nutritionist or dietician? They are great sources of information.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You figure out what will work by trial and error. Play around with your calories and you will find out what works for you. Losing inches is awesome more so than losing weight. It means you are gaining muscle yay for muscle because it burns more than fat. So keep up the good work.
  • wcarneyjx
    Options
    I have been looking around but can't find it. What does TDEE stand for?
  • MoparMatt
    MoparMatt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would go with TDEE but remember if your average weekly activity level changes so will the Calorie total. Also some TDEE calcs show you the calories needed to maintain your current weight. So if you want to lose a healthy 1lb per week you need to subtract 500 calories a day. ( a pound of fat has 3500 calories divided by 7 days). Some calculators will ask your goal weight and help you calculate how many to subtract, so make sure to read the calculator to see what you need
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Eat around 1800-1900. Don't eat more on exercise days. I couldn't quite follow your post, so not sure if that's what you were intending to do.

I agree, doctors are there to fix stuff after it goes wrong. Hire a dietician for help with food intake and meal plans. But you sound like you're on the right path. Just be patient. Inches are a measure of success, don't minimize your successes!
  • MoparMatt
    MoparMatt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is Total Daily Energy Expenditure, it takes your BMR, Basal Metabolic Rate, which is what you would burn if you were in a coma, not doing anything, then adds a percentage of calories depending on your activity level.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

TDEE means Total Daily Energy... aka the amount of calories your body needs to maintain weight at your current activity level, height, weight, age and sex.
  • Emaginesc
    Emaginesc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Eat around 1800-1900. Don't eat more on exercise days. I couldn't quite follow your post, so not sure if that's what you were intending to do.

I agree, doctors are there to fix stuff after it goes wrong. Hire a dietician for help with food intake and meal plans. But you sound like you're on the right path. Just be patient. Inches are a measure of success, don't minimize your successes!

Are you saying I should eat 1800-1900 a day regardless?

I hope I have this right.

I put in my TDEE as my calorie goal. Will burn 500 a day and not eat those back. Struggling today to eat, ugh!