What are the benefits of Gluten Free?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Coach knows everything about everything. Just ask him. He's the smartest person on MFP.

haters gonna hate. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Coach knows everything about everything. Just ask him. He's the smartest person on MFP.

haters gonna hate. :flowerforyou:

Wow. Really? I give you a compliment, and that's how you treat me?

:flowerforyou:
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    let me try and make this clear...

IF going GF gives you more energy, then that means you were sensitive to it in the first place. I would argue very, very, VERY few people go GF if they don't notice any benefits.
    Right. That's not the point though. That's not what she's asking for, and you're debating something that didn't need to be debated to begin with.

Now tell me, Coach, since as far as this thread goes, you know more about it than anyone else here.
    What are the benefits of being gluten free in a long term health scenario assuming you have no intolerance?
    Are there any?
    If there aren't any, why do you think people are switching over, even if they don't have a gluten intolerance?

Of course there aren't.

I would argue that for the most part, people aren't actually doing that though you're convinced it's commonplace. Sure you'll have a few idiots here and there who just want to follow along and pay more money for things because they can, but that doesn't mean that's the norm. Average people like you and me only go GF if they experience noticeable benefits from doing so, and if those benefits outweigh the costs.

THIS*** IS what I wanted to know....was it that hard???
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    A fad, my *kitten*. Pay attention to others, and maybe just maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

To others with this mentality and the quoted poster:
    The OP is referencing "Gluten free" as a diet choice, disregarding the intolerances and allergies of others.
    She's wondering why people who don't have these moderate to severe intolerances with gluten choose to go gluten free, which is a growing phenomena in modern dieting. I know a guy with no known intolerance who switched to gluten free to gain energy. She's wondering what the benefits are if you don't have the issues with gluten.

By definition: any growing cultural phenomena that hasn't proven itself permanent is a fad.

By definition: fads aren't bad things, there is no stigma implied unless you imply it.

Maybe she's not the only one who ought to listen...
    Her Op ONLY mentioned Celiac. Not gluten sensitivities etc.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Thank you!

He's essentially arguing that paleo dieters don't exist, or if they do... there aren't very many. Most of them don't have a gluten problem, nor are all of them really trying to lose weight. (though, many are dieters too) There's this odd belief that grains give them low energy, and for their hipster yuppy lifestyle, this is a bad thing. Its not just gluten grains, its all grains. But gluten grains are the big culprit. I don't really care about paleos tbh. But it gets better.

The placebo effect takes place for these folks, so its hard to figure out what is really working or not. On top of this, you get a lot of people who misunderstand paleo, who confuse it with gluten free, and just cut out gluten, again for the same reasons. They think that wheat is unnatural for people to eat, that they believe it is genetically modified (it is not, its a hybrid, which occurs naturally and easily in Triticum species, as if regular old plant breeding is GMO), no more and no less. Never mind the fact that gluten is in rye and barley too, and the pattern of response for them in people who do not have celiac disease differs significantly than how a celiac responds to them. (hint: wheat isn't the worst one. Rye is. Barley is considerably less inflammatory than rye and wheat to nonceliac controls)

When you ask them, they don't actually have any symptoms. They just want this ephermeral high energy state of their ancestors, as if we knew what that was. They will tell you how these grains are unnatural to eat when you ask them what is really wrong with them. (appeal to nature fallacy going on here too).

Oh oops, a woman who has some knowledge of logical fallacies, I'm now suddenly belitting people again because I dared to educate myself a little bit more in how to construct arguments. Come slap me down some more, oh forum naturopaths. :P Even worse when this criticism comes from another female... know your place, apparently. I guess I should read the astrology section rather than the astronomy section and believe the sun revolves around the earth.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    A fad, my *kitten*. Pay attention to others, and maybe just maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

The OP is referencing "Gluten free" as a diet choice, disregarding the intolerances and allergies of others.
    She's wondering why people who don't have these moderate to severe intolerances with gluten choose to go gluten free, which is a growing phenomena in modern dieting. I know a guy with no known intolerance who switched to gluten free to gain energy. She's wondering what the benefits are if you don't have the issues with gluten.

By definition: any growing cultural phenomena that hasn't proven itself permanent is a fad.

By definition: fads aren't bad things, there is no stigma implied unless you imply it.

I was unaware of gluten sensitivies, and probably for the fourth time that I've now said it in this thread, as far as I had known, up until now, CD is genetic, and it has nothing to do with allergies.

For the unteenth time, I'm asking why people are GF and it doesn't have to do with sensitivies or CD. I obviously understand for medical reasons. I'm sensitive to lactose myself, so I get it.

Sheesh

:explode:
  • jmderango
    jmderango Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been listening to Jillian Michael's Slim for Life Audio Book and she specifically talks about Gluten Free and unless you suffer from Celiac's Disease there is NO benefit to following a gluten free diet. In fact, it may be detrimental from a weight loss standpoint to eat gluten free as often times those products are higher in calores and are more expensive as well.
  • ascha927
    ascha927 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello!

As you have already said, if you do not have a sensitivity to gluten, don't go gluten free. If you must go gluten free for medical reasons, then the benefits are unparalleled. But as you said, the "diet world" seems to have caught onto the term "gluten-free" and many people are trying gluten free diets because they see celebrities talking about it, like that makes them healthier than you. Goind gluten free for dieting reasons is a FAD. For health reasons, it is not; rather it is a necessity.

So in closing, if you do not feel horrible after eating bread or pasta - don't join the gluten free diet "fad".

Hope that helps!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I was unaware of gluten sensitivies, and probably for the fourth time that I've now said it in this thread, as far as I had known, up until now, CD is genetic, and it has nothing to do with allergies.

For the unteenth time, I'm asking why people are GF and it doesn't have to do with sensitivies or CD. I obviously understand for medical reasons. I'm sensitive to lactose myself, so I get it.

Sheesh

WOW. I was not clarifying for you, but for the person who said you addressed other issues in your OP.
    I was one of those who originally explained to you why I was gluten free as you limited your query to Coeliac.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Most people have at least some minor sensitivity to gluten. Whether or not you've noticed it has to do with how significant your sensitivity is. Some people tolerate it perfectly, some people absolutely can't tolerate it, and everyone else falls somewhere in between.

The reality is that the quality of wheat that goes into our system today is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than it was 50 years ago. We've genetically modified it to be heartier, and thus our bodies have a difficult time digesting it. The prevalence of Celiac disease is 400% higher today than it was 50 years ago. Some of that has to do with better detection, and some of it has to do with the crappy overly processed, modified wheat we now ingest.

Gluten-free isn't a fad. It literally can change people's lives for the better. I'm experimenting with it right now because I've been dealing with chronic larynx and sinus inflammation, and it seems like it could be related to some sort of sensitivity, so gluten is the first thing I'm testing.

I've seen it help a ton of people - a couple major league baseball players adopted it this off-season and are touting their improved energy.

Adkins is a fad (ie: it works but makes you sicker in many other ways)

Gluten free isn't a fad. It's a necessity for many people

^^ This!!!!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Sheesh

People are gluten free when they do not need to be because they are convinced that they will lose weight by doing so. This may not be a widespread issue, but I have seen it with my father. He is convinced that by choosing gluten free options, he is making a "healthier" choice, yet he has ZERO allergies or sensitivities to gluten. My sister has celiac disease and therefore for her, it is obviously the "healthier" choice, so maybe that is where his thinking comes from. Then again, he is also convinced that he can eat as much fat free yogurt as he wants because it says "0%" on the label. Clearly he does not understand the concept of calories. And no, he has not lost weight by following this "diet" yet does not comprehend why and continues to follow it. I have no idea if this is widespread, or just one of the many quirks of my father...it's annoying.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Now would be a great time for me to introduce "Leaky Gut Syndrome" and why we should also be avoiding all grains.

Grains perforate our intestinal tracts and allow toxins from the digestive tract to leech into our blood system. Over time, these toxins cause metabolic syndrome and can lead to diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease. Also, a perforated intestinal tract cannot function properly, leaving us constipated and retaining excess food waste, which causes bloat and weight gain.

Once I stopped gluten, my health issues cleared up. Once I stopped grains, I got total, daily regularity.

Jussayin.