Runners--What do you eat before races?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I'm running my first 10K this coming Saturday. I'm not sure what to eat to help me the most. Any ideas?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    When I get up in the morning I have a cup of tea and oatmeal with some yogurt. About 30minutes before the race I have some propell water and a Power Bar Nut Naturals bar.

It is important to make sure to eat anything new right before a race. If you think you will need more calories for the effort, try out what you are thinking during the week.

Have a wonderful race. 10K is my favorite distance.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I would eat what you have eaten during your training. Don't do anything new on race day. I usually eat a bowl of cereal. I like to eat at least 1 hour before running. HTH and Good Luck in the race!!!
  • skilleen
    skilleen Posts: 5
    Options
    Good luck! Enjoy a bowl of pasta the night before. Spaghetti is perfect. Stay away from dairy and if you need to eat before you run, have a banana and look forward to a big breakfast after your race. This has been my formula for years and usually I'm unable to eat before a race but LOVE eating afterwards.:happy:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Keep your meal light, but high-quality on calories. Banana, toast with peanut butter, hard boiled egg is a good start. Have a high protein snack ready to rock & roll when you finish the race, and be sure to drink 20 oz of water for every hour you run.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I ran a 10K last weekend and had a banana about an hour before the race started--that seemed to do the trick :)
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    you need id say a cup or less of cereal and carbs the night before...you wont be running for more than an hour and a half MAX id say actualy an hour so u dont need to sweat it. most importantly have FUN!!!! thats what its all about!!!
  • jendykstra67
    jendykstra67 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't run but my daughters do. They eat pasta the night before a race (usually spaghetti) and then they try to have a breakfast with whole grains and some protein and fruit on the day of the race. They stop eating at least an hour before they run.

Good luck!
  • achek4
    achek4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to eat a bagel and a banana usually coffee too and water. If its later in the day I usually will eat that for breakfast and then another bagel with little protein on it and some fruit.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For a 5K, 8K, 5 miler or 10K, I usually just eat mini bagel with peanut butter and some coffee @ 2 hrs before i race.

If it's a half marathon, I'd have a regular size bagel (plus the pb).

i don't worry about carb loading the night before shorter races. I usually eat pasta w/some chicken and veggies (but not in a heavy sauce like alfredo) before a half.