Why can't I lose weight?

Options
Why am I having such a hard time losing weight? I have faithfully gone to the gym every day and have written down every thing I eat. I have been eating healthier for the past several weeks with no junk. I walk and exercise but have only lost 1/2 pound this week. Why? It gets disappointing. Any suggestions?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Okay, your diary is closed so a more specific answer is impossible.

You may be retaining water due to the exercise, hormones, sodium, stress, etc.

You may be undereating.

You may be overestimating your food intake.

You may be at a healthy weight for your body and the last few pounds are going to be slow coming off.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so that makes it more difficult for anyone to try to give you advice. Providing a little more info may be helpful.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    ^ What these 2 ladies said
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Aliens%2Bmeme.jpg
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    A 1/2 pound loss in a week is still a victory. For me, those tiny little increments of 0.5 or 0.2 lbs eventually added up to 30 lbs.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters and will add that it's not "junk" that makes you fat, it's calories in whatever form you're consuming them. If you eat too many calories it doesn't matter whether they fall into your own definition of "healthy," you will still fail to lose weight.

Focus on what matters for weight loss: calories in and calories out. Then for health and retaining lean muscle mass make sure you get sufficient micronutrients and macronutrients.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, fat loss, have much more to do with how much and what you are eating, with exercise a distant second.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Is this just a rant or do you want some help? We can only help you if we know your stats (height, weight, age, activity level, exercise routine), and access to your food log.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    no one can help you if your diary is closed.
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Is this just a rant or do you want some help? We can only help you if we know your stats (height, weight, age, activity level, exercise routine), and access to your food log.

What he said.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Could you go a little heavier on the 411 part?

Height? Weight? Calories eaten versus burned, etc., etc.

What are you DOING at the gym? I went to the gym for a couple weeks straight and didn't lose any weight. I thought perhaps just showing up would be good enough. :bigsmile: (Sorry...I couldn't resist.)

Seriously, though, a half pound a week would be the ideal way to get it off and keep it off.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Be consisent in weighing/measuring food portions, and don't disregard any extra licks, bites, tastes, etc, that you may be having but not logging (because how do you log one bite of something?).

I'm not losing much weight, either, but I'm working hard to eliminate binge eating and establish appropriate eating habits. It takes time, and non-loss weeks are never a waste. Staying the same weight, loss, and gain: it's all part of the same process. Hang in there!
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    you might be losing fat but creating muscle. And its only week. Try measuring in inches- but with your diary locked- and you asking for assistance with the limited information included people can only explain so much.

So I agree with the above poster. "ALIENS"
  • kellysulser
    kellysulser Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree it is hard to give suggestions with little info - however 1 thing I will say.

I have lost weight in many manners. Most of them quick and not the healthy or right way. In reaction - I have gained it back and then some many times. I don't do that anymore. No 'diets' no '3 day lose 10 pound' diets and no 'go to the gym like a crazy person for a month' diets. And NO PILLS.

If you are truly eating correct nutrition, and working out, then you just keep that lifestyle up and let the pounds go slowly. This is the weight loss that is healty, and you can keep off. Lifestyle changes, healthy eating, and holding yourself accountable. 1/2 pound a week...well, that is 26 pounds a year. I would be celebrating your accomplishment!
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Aliens%2Bmeme.jpg

^^ My thoughts precisely :)