Question on Fat Burn vs. Fitness Burn

Options
How do you achieve the majority of your calories burned as a "fat burn?" Inevitably, my HRM has a 90% fitness burn / 10% fat burn. Being heavier, I would think I'd want a higher fat burn vs. fitness burn. How do I change it?

Replies

• samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have an HRM which tracks the %age of fitness and %age of fat burn that I have each workout. I have found (and read in the directions) that you will receive a higher fat burn if you do activities for a longer period of time and a lower intensity. For example, a long slow jog versus intervals (sprint, walk, repeat).

For weight loss I think you really need both. To tone your body and build muscle, high intensity workouts are best (intervals, strength training, etc). However I'm a true believer that longer and lower intensity workouts are great because I typically burn more calories during these sessions.

Good Luck!
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Wow! I thought for a higher fat burn you had to get your heart rate at a higher level.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    How do you achieve the majority of your calories burned as a "fat burn?" Inevitably, my HRM has a 90% fitness burn / 10% fat burn. Being heavier, I would think I'd want a higher fat burn vs. fitness burn. How do I change it?

by doing very low intensity exercise you burn more fat as a %. However, if you ramp up the intensity, you burn more fat in total.

low intesnity might mean a 30 minute walk at 2.5 mph. You might burn 150 calories doing this with 70% of those from fat. Thus you burn 105 calories from fatty acids.

However, do 30 minutes of a much higher intensity that gets you to 90% MHR and you might burn 300 Kcals during that time at 50% from fat. Thus you just burned off 150 calories from fatty acids.

edit: btw....those numbers are just made up, I'm not an exercise physiologist or certified trainer....this is just how I understand it to be.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You must ignore any "fat burn %" numbers on an HRM. Even if the calorie numbers are remotely in the ball park, the "fat burn %" numbers are a complete fabrication. They have NO basis in reality.

And, to top it off, even if they WERE accurate (which they are not even remotely), the percent of fat (or even the absolute amount of fat) you "burn" during a workout has absolutely NO EFFECT on permanent loss of stored body fat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is something you should not spend another minute thinking about.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

THIS.

It doesn't matter. Calories burned are calories burned.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

THIS.

It doesn't matter. Calories burned are calories burned.
    x2
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You must ignore any "fat burn %" numbers on an HRM. Even if the calorie numbers are remotely in the ball park, the "fat burn %" numbers are a complete fabrication. They have NO basis in reality.

And, to top it off, even if they WERE accurate (which they are not even remotely), the percent of fat (or even the absolute amount of fat) you "burn" during a workout has absolutely NO EFFECT on permanent loss of stored body fat.

tumblr_inline_mgvw5nQ4vS1rt6jcb_zpsb8154ff8.jpg
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

EOT
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have an HRM which tracks the %age of fitness and %age of fat burn that I have each workout. I have found (and read in the directions) that you will receive a higher fat burn if you do activities for a longer period of time and a lower intensity. For example, a long slow jog versus intervals (sprint, walk, repeat).

For weight loss I think you really need both. To tone your body and build muscle, high intensity workouts are best (intervals, strength training, etc). However I'm a true believer that longer and lower intensity workouts are great because I typically burn more calories during these sessions.

Good Luck!

Wrong. A higher % of cals from fat maybe, but way less total cals, and less cals from fat when all is said and done (assuming same duration of exercise).

OP: Ignore zones, train for improving fitness and your body will follow along.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you hear a lot about fat burning mode vs. cardio mode. fat burning mode is usually considered 65-74% max heart rate and cardio burn would be above that. The thing is.. if your heart rate is 80% of your max.. u are still burning fat. So.. find your max hr by subtracting your age from 220... and work to keep your heart rate no less than 65% of that and you will have a pretty good burn. the "fat burn" on your hrm is probably just taking the calories u burned and dividing that number by 9 (the # of calories in a gram of fat)... not really anything to think about.

Good luck and add some weight lifting to your routine... it'll help transform your body.
  • TwinkiesNKetchup
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm off base but I've been having difficulty losing fat/building muscle. I eat pretty well, high complex carb, high protein diet. I speed walk 4 miles daily and have added HIIT and weight lifting every other day. I've been doing this for 7 weeks with out any noticeable results. I'd appreciate any help what so ever. I'd like to lose about 5" of fat off my waist and a couple inches off each of the thighs and arms.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Completely, 100% agree. There are so many more things that actually make a significant difference that worrying about this is pointless.
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options

This comment makes me ...... bothered (for lack of a better word).
    Not because you said it, but it bothers me this kind of mentality is all over the place. I am trying to get into the best shape of my life. On every treadmill and bike it has those stupid graphs that are generated if it measures your heart rate. This is advice that people give to those who want to lose fat weight. I don't have a HRM, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon, just because I can gauge my intensity on my own.

Short story, I gained 25 lbs over the past 4 years moving from construction to a desk job. Back when I when I was working construction I was pretty fit and was lifting in conjunction with my calorie burning job. I hit a plateau lifting, and I ran on the treadmill every day I hit the weights. I was told by some "personal trainer" to cut back on the cardio because that was contributing to my inability to get out of my plateau due to it "possibly burning my muscle fiber to fuel my cardio". On top of my treadmill running, I was running 4 miles a few times a week at night. I was taking protein, supplements, etc...

Fast forward to today, and now I have the dreaded lower back fat spare tire. I am not nearly as strong as I once was due to a long lapse in time with no physical activity, and also due to shoulder surgery. My new years resolution was to cut back on the home brew (avid beer enthusiast) and get back into shape (aka, lose the fat and strengthen up).

Right now my focus is lowering my calorie count and exercising 5 - 6 times a week. I have done well so far, but haven't lost too much weight. I am perplexed if I should do spin class, or not. Should I run on the treadmill? Or is that going to "burn my muscles" if I do it too intensely?

I have been walking on the treadmill for 30 min 4 times a week at 10.0 incline and 3.0 mph. I go mountain biking on the weekend and go anywhere from 7-14 miles a ride.

Does it not matter? I mean, I understand everyone's motivational advice, but is there any scientific information that can help back this up, or links to any articles on the subject matter? If it really doesn't matter, or its marginal, I am going to start running on the treadmill instead.

Thanks in advance for the advice and information.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

Wrong. A higher % of cals from fat maybe, but way less total cals, and less cals from fat when all is said and done (assuming same duration of exercise).

OP: Ignore zones, train for improving fitness and your body will follow along.

Can't really agree with that statement. Depending on one's goals, especially if it involves any kind of competition, training in all zones is important.
    I'm a cyclist....the LSD rides are done in Zones 1 and 2 (these would be primarily what the OP is referring to as fat buring zones). These are done to develop an aerobic base....of course these rides can be over 5 hours long too.
    I also do intervals and sprints to train all energy systems as the intervals rely heavily on glucose for fuel while sprints rely quite heavily on Creatine Phosphate for energy.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm off base but I've been having difficulty losing fat/building muscle. I eat pretty well, high complex carb, high protein diet. I speed walk 4 miles daily and have added HIIT and weight lifting every other day. I've been doing this for 7 weeks with out any noticeable results. I'd appreciate any help what so ever. I'd like to lose about 5" of fat off my waist and a couple inches off each of the thighs and arms.

Your diary is closed so I can't look at what you're eating.

But if you've been at it for 7 weeks with 0 weight loss, you're eating too much.

Also, you say you've been lifting but have no results. Have you gotten stronger? What kind of lifting are you doing?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Not because you said it, but it bothers me this kind of mentality is all over the place. I am trying to get into the best shape of my life. On every treadmill and bike it has those stupid graphs that are generated if it measures your heart rate. This is advice that people give to those who want to lose fat weight. I don't have a HRM, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon, just because I can gauge my intensity on my own.

Short story, I gained 25 lbs over the past 4 years moving from construction to a desk job. Back when I when I was working construction I was pretty fit and was lifting in conjunction with my calorie burning job. I hit a plateau lifting, and I ran on the treadmill every day I hit the weights. I was told by some "personal trainer" to cut back on the cardio because that was contributing to my inability to get out of my plateau due to it "possibly burning my muscle fiber to fuel my cardio". On top of my treadmill running, I was running 4 miles a few times a week at night. I was taking protein, supplements, etc...

Fast forward to today, and now I have the dreaded lower back fat spare tire. I am not nearly as strong as I once was due to a long lapse in time with no physical activity, and also due to shoulder surgery. My new years resolution was to cut back on the home brew (avid beer enthusiast) and get back into shape (aka, lose the fat and strengthen up).

Right now my focus is lowering my calorie count and exercising 5 - 6 times a week. I have done well so far, but haven't lost too much weight. I am perplexed if I should do spin class, or not. Should I run on the treadmill? Or is that going to "burn my muscles" if I do it too intensely?

I have been walking on the treadmill for 30 min 4 times a week at 10.0 incline and 3.0 mph. I go mountain biking on the weekend and go anywhere from 7-14 miles a ride.

Does it not matter? I mean, I understand everyone's motivational advice, but is there any scientific information that can help back this up, or links to any articles on the subject matter? If it really doesn't matter, or its marginal, I am going to start running on the treadmill instead.

You lose weight by having a daily caloric deficit. Get your cardio however you want to get your cardio.

While losing weight, you can preserve lean mass by lifting weights and eating sufficient protein.

Not a whole lot else matters. What really matters is that you find a type of exercise you actually enjoy and will do the rest of your life. For 99% of people, "treadmill" is a poor answer. Very, very few people enjoy the treadmill enough to get on it 2-4 times a week every week forever.

Playing fetch with your dog at the park is infinitely superior to anything you can do on the treadmill, if you're still going to be playing with your dog in 2 years but would have quit the treadmill.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It's a very good question. I'll post the answer right below

tumblr_inline_mgvw5nQ4vS1rt6jcb_zpsb8154ff8.jpg
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Playing fetch with your dog at the park is infinitely superior to anything you can do on the treadmill, if you're still going to be playing with your dog in 2 years but would have quit the treadmill.

Thank you for your reply.

I have some problems with running. Ever since my construction days, I haven't been able to run like I used to. After about 2-2.5 miles my knee starts to ache and then keeps me from keeping a good pace. The next day I cannot run the same distance again, and I am only averaging a 10.5 minute mile. Truthfully, I HATE running. The treadmill does not come close to running, I know, but its the closest I can do without just hating everything about it and keeping my knees from bothering me. I have been taking Glucosamine and Condriton daily, but it doesn't have much of an effect (if any) on it. I have tried different shoes, strengthening my hip flexors and hamstrings amongst even trying to work on my running form with little to no success.

I enjoy biking, but I cannot go more than 1 MAYBE 2 times a week. Mountain bike trails here in AZ are treacherous. I choose to do those with a friend (or my GF) due to the safety that comes from it. Spin class is good, but I hate the music, but it is bearable. I enjoy the actual work out, but I am picky with my music. Also, I have to be on a schedule in order to make spin class, so that is a down side.

So, to compliment my lifting routine I think I will move from a slower to faster pace on the treadmill for the time being. I have no problem maintaining my weight when I lift and exercise regularily. Until I am maintaining, I need to step up my game to slim down.