Psyllium Husk and IBS

Options
I have suffered from Irritable bowel syndrome for many years. Someone told me about this product, powdered psyllim husk it is a soluble fibre supplement. I would like to know if anyone on My Fitness pal has ever heard of this product or tried it at any time. Apparently it really helps IBS. What i would really like to know is if it is safe to take this.
Any help on this matter would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pamela xxx:flowerforyou:

Replies

• nbenos
    nbenos Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have used Psyllium Husk and found that is was great for helping me to feel more regular. However, I followed the instructions on the package and took the recommended dose three times a day. After about a week of using the Psyllium husk this way I had severe cramping and almost had an embarrassing accident on the highway.

I highly recommend the product but DO NOT follow the instructions unless you are not leaving your home at all. I still use the psyllium husk but I only use one to two doses a day instead of the three per day suggested by the instructions.

On a side note I lost 12 lbs. in two weeks while following the instructions on the package but the cramping was so terrible I reduced the amount I use.

Good Luck, just be careful :)
  • LauraLou2010
    LauraLou2010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used it as part of the belly blaster recipe Dr. Oz had in Woman's World March 8, 2010 issue. In the recipe it says 1 tablespoon so I don't think it would effect you the way it effected nbenos. I am more regular now from it also. Let me know if you would like the recipe.
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm not sure of the effect on IBS, but it works great with constipation and keeps things moving. If you do choose to try it, I suggest the capsule form available at WalMart. It's in the section with the Metamucil, it's their generic Equate brand, $4 for 160 capsules. The directions say to take 5 capsules at the first sign of symptoms and you can take up to 3 doses a day. However, I took only 2 for the whole day and it was plenty to move things along. Used as a daily fiber supplement, one a day is also plenty. So start low and see how things go. There are free form versions available that you can mix into a drink if you prefer, but I thought I'd mention this as it's a cheap way to give it a try and find out if it works for you.
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    would you please post recipe. My daughter has suffered with ibs since she was 12.
  • tcac
    Options
    thanks will get some today
  • ashleyschram
    ashleyschram Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have IBS as well and I don't recommend it for constant use. For people like us it can actually make IBS worse because your bowels will become dependent on it. For occasional relief it is okay but I would suggest something a little gentler like herbal tea laxative. Its a all natural herb called senna that stimulates bowel muscles and because it is not a fiber its harder for the body to become dependent. That being said, good luck with whatever you decide to try!
  • tcac
    Options
    thanks where do you get senna
  • nikos
    nikos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Senna is addictive, just like any laxative is. And it can be much more explosive than fiber, if ya know what I mean.