Trampolining

Options
Next weekend, I'm planning a visit to Houston to see a friend. She has suggested that we try Sky Zone's Skyrobics class, which is an hour long aerobics class on full-sized trampolines. I read that you could burn up to 1000 calories an hour doing this workout, so my question is, has anyone tried this or anything similar? If so, any idea if that calorie burn is accurate?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have no useful information to offer. Just wanted to say that sounds AWESOME!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Well, the calorie burn will differ from person to person. I wouldn't eat an extra 1000 calories though just because a pamphlet says that. That does sound way cool though!!!
  • SaShmy1022
    SaShmy1022 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have no useful information to offer. Just wanted to say that sounds AWESOME!
    OMG, I know, right?! I'm really excited! :]
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about it, but it sounds amazing! I'd love to try that!
  • SaShmy1022
    Options
    Well, the calorie burn will differ from person to person. I wouldn't eat an extra 1000 calories though just because a pamphlet says that. That does sound way cool though!!!

Yes, I figure since I'm heavier, it would be more, but I'm not sure if that was calculated at the highest weight acceptable to jump (400lbs)... It says "burn up to 1000 calories an hour". I rarely eat back my exercise calories (I don't follow a calorie restricted plan, but a controlled sugar/carb plan due to my PCOS), so I don't plan on using the exercise as an excuse to binge, I was just wondering if anyone had the chance -maybe with an HRM- to find out an accurate calorie burn.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    trampolining is fun and a good workout but i seriously doubt it's 1000 calories an hour. i've done it before and all i can say is wear a REALLY good high impact sports bra!!

also 1000 calorie an hour seems to be the default advertised calorie burn for many workouts : p90x, spinning, zumba, kickboxing etc.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm rather skeptical of many seemingly-high calorie burns, but this one seems potentially reasonable. Just jumping used a lot of muscles that don't get a lot of work (as evidenced by my soreness for a few days) and I'd guess the "class" is even more intense.

(Oh, and I did a front flip on two different occasions...just to prove to my kids that a 40+ year old guy could do it. Don't tell them, but I *was* just a little terrified.)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a lot of fun unless you are super uncoordinated like me! LOL

Anyways, I did some checking on caloric burns from jumping on a trampoline and found a calculator on Spark People for this exercise. At my current weight, jumping for 1 hour would burn 366 calories. At 275lbs, a person jumping for an hour would burn 447 calories. It seems the calculator maxes out at 275lbs. I was not able to get anything more than 447 calories burned for any weight higher than that.

Livestrong calculated that a person weighing 150lbs could burn as much as 410 calories per hour on a trampoline. They showed some big giant formula that factored weight, duration, heart rate, energy expenditure and exertion, etc etc...

Still another site estimated 366 calories burned at my current weight which is the total Spark People came up with.

This class would have to be super intense to get much more than 500 calories burned in an hour, I would think. I would err on the side of caution anyways and go with the lower caloric burn just to be on the safe side. If it is more, you benefit either way.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    When advertiser say things like that (burn UP TO 1000 calories an hour, earn UP TO $2000 a day, get UP TO 55 miles per gallon) that just means that they were able to create evidence of that condition one time. It does not mean that most people will have that result, it doesn't mean that 1/2 of all people will have that result. It meanst that one person had that result, in a very controlled environment, where conditions were arranged to make it happen.

I'm sure it's a great calorie burn, but I'd maybe cut that number down a bit.

On the other hand...it sounds like amazing fun, so you'll probably actually be working yourself for the entire hour and loving every minute of it. Whereas with some other form of exercise, you might end at 30 or 45 minutes.

Have a blast and let us know how it is!!
  • SaShmy1022
    Options
    Oh wow, we did it, it was amazing. 833 calorie burn for one hour. I'm sore EVERYWHERE, but it was super fun and I'd definitely do it again.
  • kellyr730
    kellyr730 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, we did it, it was amazing. 833 calorie burn for one hour. I'm sore EVERYWHERE, but it was super fun and I'd definitely do it again.

That's awesome!! :) We just got back from our Skyzone and I just jumped as high and hard as I could for an hour - it was a blast!! :) They haven't gotten the Skyrobics schedule made up yet but said it is supposed to start this month so I'm excited to try it - what kinds of things did they do? Just curious so I know what to expect! :)
  • Ndgo22
    Options
    YES!!! I LOVE trampolining! I'm in Houston, and have visited Sky High Sports a few times. I recently realized that Sky Zone is muuuuuuch closer to my house. So, I'll be checking out one of their SkyRobics classes in the near future.

It's definitely a great workout, but I've never burned more than 600-700 calories.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to have a mini trampoline for exercise purposes. I didn't feel like I was getting an adequate workout from it, and it just made me dizzy so I stopped. But maybe you will have a better experience at Skyrobics!