Calorie Confusion: Do you believe?

Options
We've all heard about muscle confusion; it's the main reason why P90X is so successful. But do you believe in Calorie Confusion? As in eating a different amount of calories everyday in order to keep your metabolism working.

In theory (to me) it makes some sense. I know that if I take a pain medication for too long (such as aspirin or tylenol), after a while they will have little to no affect on me.

Does anyone here believe in this theory?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    We've all heard about muscle confusion; it's the main reason why P90X is so successful. But do you believe in Calorie Confusion? As in eating a different amount of calories everyday in order to keep your metabolism working.

In theory (to me) it makes some sense. I know that if I take a pain medication for too long (such as aspirin or tylenol), after a while they will have little to no affect on me.

::Raises hand::

Muscle confusion and calorie confusion changed my life, people who don't follow those principles don't confuse their body enough and that's why they continue to look the same
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Muscle confusion and calorie confusion changed my life, people who don't follow those principles don't confuse their body enough and that's why they continue to look the same

Damn! That's what I have been doing wrong!
  • alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My calories per day is set at 1500. Some days I eat as close to it as possible, other days I eat 1300 and am satified and other days I can eat 1600-1700 calories. So based on the calorie confusion, will my body not settle as easily to the set 1500. Therefore, I can continue to trick it on a weekly bases. Just asking too????
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Your body is a well-oiled machine. It adapts and adjusts quite easily and readily. So yes, I believe calorie confusion is a good tool. I dont think it is necessary to adjust day to day because your body doesnt make trends daily but every few weeks its good to mix it up a bit for a few days.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    It's called calorie cycling and yes... I think it's very effective. I also carb cycle.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    How different? I never eat the the exact same amount of calories in a day. So how much does it have to vary to confuse my body?
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    How different? I never eat the the exact same amount of calories in a day. So how much does it have to vary to confuse my body?

It doesn't. Base variability on gym performance and energy levels for that day.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...

same here, beast. i have never actually heard of this and i thought i was a seasoned weight-loser
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So glad it's worked for people! I get discouraged if I go over my calorie count some days. Maybe this is something that is good to do (within reason). I'll started to implement it into my diet some days!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I am generally confused all this time...will this lead to fat loss AND muscle gains?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So glad it's worked for people! I get discouraged if I go over my calorie count some days. Maybe this is something that is good to do (within reason). I'll started to implement it into my diet some days!

Nothing wrong with varying your calories within the week for personal preference, energy and adherence reasons - I do the same thing myself.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Makes sense if you look at how humans have been eating throughout times there were lean times and fat times. They mostly ate in lean times, but ate very well during times of abundunce so in theory it makes sense to me.

I still believe looking at a caloric range instead of one set number would be the way to go. Wish MFP allowed for a range, but I'm a bad tracker anyways.
  • joeymalone142
    Options
    I lost 75lbs calorie cycling, and have maintained for a year basically doing the same thing with higher numbers. It definitely worked for me with little to no exercise as well. I am now in a position where I need to do some toning, but am going to start the 30 day shred as soon as it comes in the mail to work on that and hopefully lose a little more.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

"Muscle confusion" is not why P90x is "successful."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thead is just well, confusing...
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set calorie cycling schedule, I'd never be able to keep it being a student and doing shift work. However, some days I have no appetite and can be several hundred under my calories, while other days a dinner date or work party leads to a surplus. I accept that my lifestyle will not allow for a perfect daily pattern, neither cycling or consistency. I have had success losing weight, followed by success gaining strength and consequently weight. I am now returning to a weight loss goal, and see no reason to change how I work my calories. I hope as a testimony this is helpful... I'm going to continuing to watch this thread for scientific support or refusal of the cycling idea.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

"Muscle confusion" is not why P90x is "successful."

Please stop hating on the most effective workout routine ever devised