LEAN CUISINES

Options
When I had a personal trainer he told me to keep those down to around one a week because the sodium is so high and i wasn't losing weight eating them. Do you all agree it's ok to have one every once in a while?? Kroger and Giant Eagle had them 5 for $10 this week so I had to get some of my favorite ones!!! :)

Replies

• metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i know i eat them more than once a week and i am still loosing so i don't know if it is the amount of water i drink or what that is helping that.
  • khoolette
    khoolette Posts: 73
    Options
    I made a personal decision not to eat them partly because of the sodium and partly because I've read alot about staying away from processed foods...and sticking closer to "natural' foods. Nothing Boxed/packaged. It's not always easy, though...
  • mfp1daves
    mfp1daves Posts: 4
    Options
    I am an EXTREMIST!
    I think "bad" food is like poison (Cyanide)
    So If cyanide is bad for you why would you treat yourself to it - DNC...
    If the objective is to quit smoking - why reward yourself with a cigarette?
    Weight loss to me has been a focus on "lifestyle change"
    Sometimes it takes a while for folks to REALLY get it!
  • AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat one every day for lunch at work (so at least 5 times a week) BUT I stay very natural/ healthy/unprocessed w/ my other meals and snacks. Also you can change your tracker to include sodium so you can see where you are to make sure you aren't eating to much sodium. That was a very eye opening for me. If I get too close (or eeek - go over) I drink extra water.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I eat the Healthy Choice Naturals every day for lunch . I never really looked at the sodium, but I find if I don't stick to them I end up eating something bad. I don't like Lean Cuisines....they contain a lot of MSG and sodium. They are usually higher in calories too. Maybe do a label comparison on HC vs LC and see if one is better?
  • mrayniak
    mrayniak Posts: 38
    Options
    I think everyone has a different opinion on them - my trainer and nutritionist said they were okay as long as you don't have a blood pressure issue (also get the recommended water throughout the day). I eat one every day (5 days) for lunch and have been losing consistently for the last 6 months - for me it is one meal that I don't have to worry about preparing, and easy to eat at work - I do stay away from the dinner portioned ones though.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    They are very high in sodium. Personally I prefer Healthy Choice meals. They tend to be lower in sodium. The cafe steamers line is WONDERFUL!
  • AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat Lean Cuisine, the Healthy Choice Steamers, and Smart Ones about 5-6 times a week. I do have sodium on my food log, and so it is easy to tell if I am sticking to guidelines.
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    *Mental Note* Buy Healthy Choice Steamers to try.lol
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I do keep some in the freezer for the nights the Hubby has to work late and I don't feel like cooking for 1, definately don't make them a daily staple though.
  • carliebird
    carliebird Posts: 5
    Options
    I never eat frozen dinners because they are just so expensive and it isn't enough for me! I just make an extra serving at dinner and pack it up for lunch the next day. I have a Ms Bento lunch thermos and I love it, it really helps me keep my portions under control. Plus whole foods just taste better. it's work but once you get into the habit it's pretty easy
  • KDuckGirl
    KDuckGirl Posts: 32
    Options
    Obviously if we all had the time to prepare 3 healthy meals a day we would have no need to resort to the potentially unhealthy frozen meals. But going to school full time and working 30 hours a week and working out 5 days a week....sometimes I will pack a lean cuisine to have for lunch at work. I'd say no more than once or twice a week and all of the other food I'm eating is totally fresh and unprocessed. Better than an order off the fast food drive in menu, right ladies??? Or even worse, skipping a meal until we have time to cook something up! I think as long as we do everything we can to practice a healthy lifestyle then we can't really go wrong :o)
  • sportsqueen32
    sportsqueen32 Posts: 115
    Options
    Well I work in a job that has me working a mix of day/night shifts. When I work the night shift I sometimes buy the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamer in Sweet Sesame Chicken for dinner, the most I have it is 3x a month, there is only 330mg of sodium in it, and I very very rarely go over in my sodium.
  • sumblondchic
    Options
    I think the lean cuisines are perfectly fine, especially for when you're craving something and you are able to get the lean cuisine version much healthier than the "real thing" while also being a good, small portion. Lean cuisines also do not have preservatives, which makes them much healthier than alot of things you could be eating. As long as you increase your water intake and dont eat them every day I think they are fine. I eat those and the Cafe Steamers once in awhile. Its much better than having a craving and just resorting to fast food! I think they are good to keep onhand "just in case."
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice and Smart Ones average 400-600mg of Sodium per meal. Some might consider this a high amount but if you look at the options in a restaurant or fast food place where the average is over 1000mg of sodium, the frozen dinners are low. So if you are looking for a healthy alternative for a quick meal these are good. The Healthy Choice doesn't necessarily have less sodium than the other brands, it just depends on the meal. I eat frozen meals a lot when I travel and I don't go over my sodium for the day. This is a lifestyle change and I like the convenience of a frozen dinner when I can't or don't feel like cooking.
  • trixie_muffin
    Options
    Once a week isn't terrible. but I try to avoid food like that because of it being processed. I'm working on eating clean.. That's what gets the best results.
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    my opinion short and sweet.

Most of us on these forums/site arn't looking to be bodybuilders or fitness models. Were here because were trying to shed a few extra pounds to a more desirable weight. Maybe it is health, maybe it is looks. Whatever it may be, until you get down to lower Body Fat %, your body will tolerate frozen dinners. Sure- they arn't the best option, but certainly not the worst. IF it works for you, go for it! Just give it a trial go, and see how your body responds. If you do everything else right and you havn't budged on the scale for 2 weeks, then obviously you have to critique/curtail your dietary intake as necessary.
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I eat them a lot. I have 2 kids under 2 so sometimes it is hard for me to find the time to prepare a healthy meal. So rather than sit down and eat some cookies or other junk food, I'll put a lean cuisine in the microwave. Its nice to have something that tastes good, is healthy, and quick to make.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them everyday for lunch because they'd be easy to warm up in the morning, put in my thermos bowl, and bring to school. I still lost weight fine.

I don't think lean cuisines are high in sodium at all. You could have three a day and still be under the recommended 2,500mg.

However, I really am trying to eat less processed foods now. I went shopping yesterday and just bought a few for days I don't feel like cooking.

Must make a mental note to get these steamer things too. :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    anything in moderation is okay.