Finally Introducing Myself -- Looking for Friends

Options
Eat Enough of the Right Foods/Lift Weights/Take a Long Term View

Hi everyone,

I have been here logging my food and reading since mid-January (started losing weight on January 1) and I am finally getting up the courage to introduce myself LOL

I am 49, and I was always pretty much a normal weight until the last 9 years. That was when my drinking caught up with me, I got fibromyalgia, got sober, and life changed completely. For 8 years, other things were more important than my weight. I would try to lose weight, but I just didn't have all the tools to lose without aggravating my FM, or other things that were truly more important would get in the way. When I came here last month I was surprised to learn that I already had an account -- must've been one of my very short-lived weight loss attempts *grin*

Anyways, this time I have everything that I need to do it. By 'IT" I mean losing 75 pounds of fat -- while keeping every ounce of my current lean body mass.

I know it's going to take over a year, probably closer to a year and a half, and maybe more if I lose focus. That's fine. I have a long-haul attitude. I know how to plan ahead. We're taking a two week camping trip on our motorcycles in June and I am already planning how to stay on track then.

I know how to eat now -- I've been hitting my calories and my macros consistently. I know how to log every day no matter what. I'm getting to where my cooking is more automatic. I strongly believe in eating enough protein and fats mainly from nutrient dense foods. I'm not preaching to anyone else but I personally do not eat sweeteners or processed flours because I feel better mentally, emotionally and physically when I don't. On the other hand, I had a bacon cheeseburger yesterday and still hit my calories :bigsmile:

I'm an experienced weightlifter. There was a time (long ago now) when I was fairly serious about bodybuilding. So I prefer to lift weights over cardio. My FM and some old injuries hold me back a bit, though. My gym routine isn't set in stone yet, because my knee wants to have two rest days in between uses. But I love the gym and I know that I will work it out how to best do what I need to do to preserve my muscles.

I am open to help on a routine that accommodates my knee. I have not followed someone else's plan for a long time, I've just been doing my own thing. I am open to something new now. Drop me a note if you have some suggestions.

I'm not much into the forum threads that I have read so far. There's a lot of lunacy out there. I don't think this deal has to be complicated, and I think different things work for different people. I'm not really into wading into the debates. I'm not really into telling you what you should do. But I do want to hang out with people who generally agree with me on the big points.

I AM here to suit up, show up, do my thing, and support people who are doing the same. I log on every day and will support you in your goals. So if you are of a like mind, I would love to be friends.

Thanks for reading!

Elaine in Colorado

Replies

• mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I started in Jan. also you can add me we need all the support we can get, I am on everyday too
  • MrsCameron87
    Options
    Hi!
    Great post - very motivating! Hope we can spur each other a long! I am just getting started - and have A LOT to learn!!!
  • Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I log on every day. I work out every day. I believe in hard work and getting results. Please add me as a friend and we can inspire each other
  • CherV96
    Options
    Like you I have found most threads to be "not me". I have worked out with a personal trainer in the past but am scared to lift weights on my own. Hoping that I can support you in your goals and maybe gain some insight into weights from your experience. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'll be adding you. I need to lose 20-30 pounds, and want to seriously improve my diet.

I rarely cook (it's a lot of quick & easy meals at my house), and I know that has to change if I'm going to get healthy & in shape.

My mom has Fibro, is solidly obese (class I), and can't walk without pain. I do NOT want to be that.

Thusly I'm trying to lose weight & get in shape now, and keep it off. It'll be easier to lose 30 lbs now & keep it off than wait a decade or two & have double (or more) that to lose.
  • Tallia2009
    Options
    Just rejoined (!) as started Diet Chef today, its not ideal as its processed food but I have a desk job working long hours and dont have the time, nor inclination, to cook so its (i hope!) going to be easy to stick to X amount of calories a day. Very keen to hear about doing weights over cardio to get fit. I've sent a friend request as need all the help I can get..... and would love also to give help and inspiration to everyone on this journey for a healthier life. Please feel free anyone to add me :)
  • June2268
    Options
    I would love to buddy up with some fine people myself as I am into week 2 and only saw a 1lb wieght loss and I am kinda dissapointed.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi Elaine --- I'd love to be friends. I have a very similar mindset. Do the right things, consistently, don't get spun up about day-to-day and the debate-of-the-week, and look at the long horizon. I, too, am an experienced, but out-of-shape, athlete (was a rower in college as well as in masters for years), so I knew what to do, sort of, but overthinking was my downfall. I have a trainer now to give basic nutritional advice and to set up my workouts -- so I need more support than basic info, and over the long haul.
    Michelle :)
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Very sensible -- sounds a lot like my attitude. I just joined in January when I decided to get serious about my menopause weight-gain, much of which was likely due to copious amounts of adult beverages over the years. I've been eating clean and mostly paleo for the past 7 weeks, not as a strict diet regimen, but to cut out the processed wheat and sugar products that we had grown accustomed to. Would love to lend support and connection.
  • Cherylllyn
    Cherylllyn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've been battling my weight sense high school, especially the last ten years. I've been attempting to do something about it but I get started then alter a while get bored and quit. This site is the only thing I've stuck with.

Feel free to add me.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's really nice to see some peeps in my FL now. I look forward to getting to know each of you! :flowerforyou: