Look over my numbers and tell me what you think...

Options
I am 5'0", about 105 lbs (I'm less focused on a meaningless number on a scale than I am about looking and feeling better).

My BMR is 1220, if I remember correctly, and my TDEE is 1720.

Right now I am eating 1350 calories a day, (usually high protein and fat, low carb) and burning 200 with 30DS 4-6 times a week. I eat almost all of my exercise calories back. (I ate 1200 successfully for a full year, so it was a a pretty big psychological leap to make myself eat more, when I know I still have body fat to lose.) Now I do feel that 1350 is easier to sustain and healthier than 1200, though.

I want to build a little muscle and lose a little more body fat. I am going to join a gym and start lifting heavy (following NROLFW) as soon as I finish 30DS. I plan on lifting for one hour, 3 x week.

My question is, how much more should I start eating when I start lifting, given my stats? I heard you shouldn't eat at a deficit if you're trying to build muscle, is that true? So do I need to bump to maintenance (whatever that will be, with my new lifting TDEE)? Only eat maintenance on days I lift? What works best for all you (particularly female) lifters out there?

Replies

• kimika23
    kimika23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Did you know there was a NROLFW group? You should try posting this question there too.

I can't answer your question, but I at least thought I'd share that! :smile:
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Great progress so far!

If you want to build muscle you should be eating at a slight surplus. You'll hear of people doing bulk and cut cycles. A bulk cycle is when you eat a surplus and lift heavy weights along with maxing out on protein to try and build muscle. I believe most will do a bulk cycle for 4-6 weeks min. Than they switch to a cut cycle to cut some body fat while still lifting heavy. You unfortunately will gain some fat while eating at a surplus and trying to build muscle which is where the cut cycle comes in. Do these cycles until you are happy with your results
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Great progress so far!

If you want to build muscle you should be eating at a slight surplus. You'll hear of people doing bulk and cut cycles. A bulk cycle is when you eat a surplus and lift heavy weights along with maxing out on protein to try and build muscle. I believe most will do a bulk cycle for 4-6 weeks min. Than they switch to a cut cycle to cut some body fat while still lifting heavy. You unfortunately will gain some fat while eating at a surplus and trying to build muscle which is where the cut cycle comes in. Do these cycles until you are happy with your results

I never knew what bulk and cut meant before this. Great advice, thanks!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Bump for more insights