BEYOND Frustrated!!!

Options
So, I posted about this a while back and have experimentd and nothing seems to be working.

I have lost about 40 pounds in a little over a year. BUT, I haven't lost any weight since June. From June to October I actually lost about 10 pounds, but then it INSTANTLY came back. Like, I gained 5 pounds in a week.

I am cooking most of my own meals (and measuring everything with measuring cups and a food scale) and wearing a HRM for my workouts, so I know what I'm actually burning. Before I was also wearing a FitBit and using the adjustments from it...now I wear it just to see my activity level, but I only track my actual exercise calories from my HRM. I workout 4-6 days a week depending on how busy I am and how my body feels.

I have tried eating my exercise calories back...I gained weight. I tried eating half of them back...I stayed the same. I tried eating none of them back...nothing happened except I was hungry. Now I am eating when hungry, but making sure to eat at least 1200 calories and trying to get my fruits and veggies in.

I took my measurements, and they are also not moving, so it's not just gaining muscle.

What advice do you all have for me? Help!!! Please :) I'm very frustrated and am fighting the urge to not work as hard at it.

My diary is open.

Replies

• c2hrist3a
    c2hrist3a Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are over in your sodium regularly (I just looked at the last week). That could keep you retaining water and not losing. Also-I don't know that you are eating enough calories. Especially for the frequency with which you are exercising. One other thing. I think you should make sure to hit your protein and fiber marks because then you wont be so hungry during the day.

Just suggestions...
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm not over on the sodium. That has just been the past few days (I made some food using canned foods instead of fresh...oops).

I'm eating over 100 grams of protein a day and usually over 20 in fiber as well. I'm not hungry throughout the day. The only meal I'm usually pretty hungry for is lunch, because I have to wait for it for a long time; that's why I usually have a snack.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I think you'e not eating enough. You need a larger breakfast. Also I saw that yesterday you burned 1000 calories but you only ate 1200 calories. Your body needs that fuel for that much exercise, plus eating more will help you to lose weight.
  • melonclarinet
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I'm scared to try eating more; I tried it and gained weight. It scares me, because I don't want to go back to where I was.

Oh, I guess I should have also said what kind of workout I do. I usually do 30-60 minutes of cardio on the treadmill or eliptical (usually closer to 30) and then lift weights for 30 minutes. Sometimes I will also do a circuit afterwards.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people use HRM's for calorie burn rates, but it could be overestimating a bit. What exercise are you doing? Have you been doing that for a long time? It may be time to mix things up in the exercise department.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I also kinda stalled the month of Dec and some of January. I am 5'11 and currently weigh 247 lbs! The first 30 went pretty fast, but then just kinda slowed. I exercise now 6 days a week. 5 days for about 45-60 minutes each day and 1 day for 30 minutes. I was eating between 1300-1600 when Iost the first 30 lbs. I recently just upped my calories to 2000, and have been eating between 1800-2000 most days, and not eating back my exercise calories cause they are calculated into my TDEE.

Try following this and seeing it that helps. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

The first 2 weeks I gained, but the last 2 weeks I have lost about 2 lbs both weeks. I would recommend trying it for at least a month to see if it helps.

You can get through this.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I doubt you are gaining fat when you eat more. I tend to retain water when I switch up my routine or change my calories. Iwould use the TDEE calculator and switch things up.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I know this seems counter-productive, but you are not eating enough. I would assume that your body as adapted to eating too few calories and has stalled out, learning to live on what you feed it. It really does happen, it is how we survived in famine times.

What is you BMR? What is your TDEE?

Never eat below the BMR and maybe try what a lot of us have had success with and eat at your TDEE minus 20%.

Check out the "In Place of a Road Map" group for more info/support.

Also, the "Eat More To Weigh Less" Group.

Lots of great stuff there that goes beyond the 1200 MFP plans.
  • melonclarinet
    Options
    I listed my routine above. I have mixed it up. I was only doing eliptical and now am running. I also have added heavier weights and changed some of the things I do with weights.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think you'e not eating enough. You need a larger breakfast. Also I saw that yesterday you burned 1000 calories but you only ate 1200 calories. Your body needs that fuel for that much exercise, plus eating more will help you to lose weight.

This... I upped mine and I am starting to lose again. I eat around 1400-1500 a day.

Calculate your TDEE
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    What is your height, weight and age?
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I'm scared to try eating more; I tried it and gained weight. It scares me, because I don't want to go back to where I was.

If you up your cals, it will be temporary water weight, seriously check out the whole "reset" idea. I did, it worked, but you have to have patience and info!

THE 2 BEST posts on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I wish I had the answer.... I'm going through the exact same thing. I burn between 800-1200 cals at the gym daily and eat what I think is fairly healthy with the exception of 1 meal a week.... lost about 65lbs in my 1.5 yrs. now at a stand still. Was hoping someone had the answer so for those giving feed back feel free to send me a message too
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried fasting? Read Eat Stop Eat. It tells you why you fast and the benifits from it. I do it twice a week and as you see it hasn't hurt my weight loss any. Just did it yesterday as a matter of fact. Feel free to contact me about it. I truly found it to be very easy to do and lost 5 lbs the first week I fasted and I ate everyday. If you start your fast at 12pm one day it ends at 12pm the next day and you still eat your 1200 (or whatever it is) calories for the rest of the day. I usually stop eating between 4 and 6 pm and don't eat again till 4 or 6 pm that next day. Even if you stop at 6pm and eat again at 9am that's 15 hours and enough time to get some of the benifits in. Try it and see. I thought I would be starving but I wasn't. I get hungry but drink water instead of eating and it helps.

Try it
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I know this seems counter-productive, but you are not eating enough. I would assume that your body as adapted to eating too few calories and has stalled out, learning to live on what you feed it. It really does happen, it is how we survived in famine times.

What is you BMR? What is your TDEE?

Never eat below the BMR and maybe try what a lot of us have had success with and eat at your TDEE minus 20%.

Check out the "In Place of a Road Map" group for more info/support.

Also, the "Eat More To Weigh Less" Group.

Lots of great stuff there that goes beyond the 1200 MFP plans.

^^ THIS ^^

I know how weird it seems to be eating more to lose, but it works. I am having a hard time with it, too, but I'm doing it, and the numbers are falling. I keep waiting for them to stall out or go up, but they aren't.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared off by eating more. You have to fuel your body for it to work properly. 1500 would be an absolute minimum, especially given how much your working out!!! Subtract by adding is what I see. Add the fuel your body needs in calories and the weight will subtract. Without that, it's just storing fat, cause it doesn't know what your doing next.

Also, water and potassium on the days you feels your going over on Salt. Those two will off-set the salt and flush it out. Make sure your keeping an good count on those.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    UGGGGGG EAT MORE EAT MORE, pssssssh *sigh* it's NOT always the right answer
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Also, I have noticed that MFP is way off in the amount we actually burn during exercise. Try a heart rate monitor to get a better picture of what you are really burning. Mine was off by nearly 50%.
  • Bruce_Rickey
    Options
    I feel your frustration. My weight loss is so sporadic. I will loose a lot of weight and for no rampant reason, gain several pounds back. I have learned that I must keep at it during those weight gain periods and then I will loose weight again then gain again and loose again. The important thing is that I loose more than i gain. I have also learned that when these weight gain periods happen that I have to mix things up to initiate a renewed period of weight loss. Some times a very long and energetic hike, (several hours) on a wooded trail will do the trick sometime eating only 600 calories for one or two days will also do the trick. What I have been told is that by mixing things up the body has to react and reset itself. Mixing it up seems to be the ticket. Also, on occasion, I will eat 3.000 to 4000 calories in a single day followed by a couple of the 600 calories days. This also believe it or not seems to work for me. The key here is: For Me. Try it and see if it works for you.
  • Tuten210
    Tuten210 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've stalled since the end of last year too... but what has been helping me is eating meals that are somewhat equal in caloric intake...evened out throughout the day to meet my calorie goals. Drinking LOTS of water. trying to lower my sodium overall...even though somedays i've gone over. But i seem to be losing weight again...I've def. lost inches. Hopefully these tips will help you out. Good Luck!!