Low Carb/High Protein - The Way To Go?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've noticed over my journey of weight loss - ups and downs - that me and carbs don't get on, well mainly bread! Even though I always have the small wholemeal slices if I do fancy a sandwich or some toast etc.

Now I've switched white rice for brown rice and white pasta for wholemeal but still only have them in moderation.

My question is - for a fat loss and building lean muscle regiment is a low carb and high protein diet the way to go? I've just started having protein shakes after my workouts and can already see a difference in my body's appearance and it's great! But is the theory of low carb/high protein the right one?

What is the science behind it? Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance! :)
-x-x-

Replies

• ilovebiccies
    Options
    hey there....am not sure if its the way to go but also looking for the answer...i love my carbs and always have way too much so am gonna try and change. when you say the protewin shakes are really making a difference what difference do you mean? do they make you lose body fat and shape up or what?
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    carbs to me are essential! i have oats in the AM a low carb, high fiber & protein wrap for lunch or 100% whole wheat toast... or wheat bread from subway with my sanwich =]
    brown rice, bulgur wheat and quinoa are soo yummy and nutritious.

good carbs (in moderation) are a great part of my diet.
    when i skim through the back of a product, i look for fats and sugars... and then if those look good i wont even look at anything else.

another thing, if ur incorporating exercise activities... u need carbs to keep u going!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I think everyone's body responds slightly differently to various combinations. I've also figured out that lots of carbs don't work for me, though I would never eliminate them entirely as I agree that they're necessary for energy. I've adopted a more-or-less Low GL/GI way of eating, so I don't eat any white carbs except for my "free day" (I don't like the term "cheat day") when, for example yesterday, I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a handful of tortilla chips with dinner. I eat a fair amount of brown rice, quinoa, bulgar, etc. and occasionally I'll have either wholemeal or rye bread as toast. But for lunch, instead of a sandwich, I'll have a salad with lots of veg and some cooked chicken or prawns.

I recently went on a two week holiday to visit family in the US and whenever I had a big lunch or dinner I countered with mostly lean protein for the other meal and I ended up only gaining about 4 pounds (which, considering what I ate, I see as a victory, LOL) and on coming home I shifted those 4 pounds in just under a week by going back to my normal eating plan....
  • yentasdoitbetter
    yentasdoitbetter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i actually agree with you! my body reacts way better when i cut carbs out. just dont cut them completely out! i did it, lost weight SOOO fast but was very weak and had headaches.

i do simple carbs w/ breakfast, lunch and snacks, then im trying to cut any type of simple carb out of dinner, no simple carbs after 5pm. getting my late night carbs from veggies
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself, not only do I feel awful when I don't eat plenty of carbs, but I also lose fat faster when I eat them. I don't eat white bread, pasta or rice, but I do eat plenty of oatmeal, whole-wheat bread, potatoes, and whole-wheat pasta. I lost the bulk of my weight eating ratios of 50 carbs/25 protein/25 fat. I plateaued at 10 pounds away from my goal. I recently switched my ratios to 55/25/20, and the fat has started melting off again. For me, carbs = energy and fat = fat.