salty taste

Options
Hi for the last week or so I seem to always have a salty type taste in my mouth anyone got any ideas. :huh:

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I did a Google search for "Salty Taste in Mouth" and this was the first link:
    http://www.riversideonline.com/health_reference/Ear-Nose-Throat/AN01411.cfm

And this list was at the top of the page:
    Sinusitis
    Sinus infection
    Nutritional deficiency
    Sialadenitis
    Epilepsy

So you could probably start there.
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It happened to me few times since last August.
    I live in a low humidity area and after mentioning this to my doctor her opinion was that it is because of dry air.
    It goes away after I increase water intake but I generally don't drink that much water - so I don't know if that would be your case.
    You may want to check with your doctor just in case

From internet:
    Taste changes are rarely a sign of a serious underlying problem. However, they are annoying and can impair your enjoyment of food. A persistent salty taste in the mouth can have many possible causes, including:

Dehydration. This may be due to inadequate fluid intake or excessive fluid loss. Review your diet. Excessive intake of alcohol or caffeine can cause fluid loss, resulting in dehydration, which can make saliva saltier.

Side effect of certain medications, such as anti-thyroid medications and chemotherapy drugs.

Salivary gland diseases, such as Sjogren's syndrome or bacterial infection of the salivary glands (sialadenitis).

Post-nasal drainage, such as with a sinus infection (sinusitis) or allergies.

Rarely, a salty taste in the mouth is due to a nutritional deficiency, endocrine disorder or neurological disorder, such as epilepsy or migraine.

Treatment is directed at the underlying cause, if possible. For example, if a salty taste in the mouth is due to a certain medication, stopping or changing the medication may eliminate the problem. But do this only with your doctor's approval. If the cause of a salty taste is a bacterial infection, the salty taste may go away with treatment of the infection. Occasionally, taste changes resolve spontaneously.

A persistent salty taste in the mouth should be evaluated by a doctor or dentist.