Curvaceous Clothing

Options
Dear ladies of MFP, I need some help finding clothes that fit. I've always been quite curvy - and I'm not using that as a euphemism for "fat", I mean that I have a low waist/hip ratio, meaning a relatively narrow waist but big hips and ribcage/bust. A (somewhat larger) hourglass, if you like.

But now that I'm losing weight, it's all coming off my waist - I've lost two inches there, and my hips are still the same size. I need to go shopping for new (smaller! Yay!) trousers and some fitted shirts, and just can't find anything I'm happy with. The new (unisex) work trousers we just got are a case in point - too tight and pinchy in the hips, but I can fit both fists in the waistband!

So anyone with a similar build, which (UK) brands would you recommend for that type of figure?

Replies

• Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The best solution is to buy things that fit your bust & hips, and then have a seamstress take them in at the waist.

Of course, if you're still losing that's an expensive thing to do.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem and for a long time I found waist belts were my saving grace!
    Since I have gotten smaller, I just go for tight and body fitting clothes now, particularly since I've lost the dreaded food baby! Haha.
    Before you reach this point though, I have heard spanx are good for holding you in when it comes to wearing tight clothes.
    Flaunt the hourglass figure!
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue. I found that pants with a rise that reaches and inch or two below my natural waist are easier to fit.
  • Cockney365
    Cockney365 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's not cheap but Bravissimo do clothes in sizes according to how curvy you are, instead of just the standard sizes. I think most are aimed towards girls with big boobs but not always! It might be worth checking it out anyway (I don't have your problem, still round all over!)
  • ICarla
    ICarla Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Dorothy Perkins.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have larger hips and find that without getting any specialty stuff, really low rise pants seem to work better. So, I'm kind of getting them to fit my hips.

Other than that, getting things to fit your hips and then getting them altered at the waist like the previous poster said.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Ladies . . . . maybe someone could upload a few pics to give OP a better idea of what we're all discussing here?
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Not sure if they sell in the UK, but I have a pair of Nine West jeans that are AMAZING, they fit my thighs AND my waist! Also, Ricki's, although I highly doubt they are in the UK...but it can't hurt to check it out. I get all my dress pants from there. I also splurged and bought a pair of Seven for all Mankind jeans...I don't fit back into them yet (I had a baby since I bought them), but I hope I will in the next few months. They also come in tighter at the waist.
  • mminter22
    Options
    I have a similar problem and for a long time I found waist belts were my saving grace!
    Since I have gotten smaller, I just go for tight and body fitting clothes now, particularly since I've lost the dreaded food baby! Haha.
    Before you reach this point though, I have heard spanx are good for holding you in when it comes to wearing tight clothes.

^^^^^^^^Wishing I had an hourglass figure. I love seeing the wide and skinney belts!!^^^
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You could try somewhere like Debenhams where they have lots of retailers under the one roof and at a good price range.
  • JLPaige
    JLPaige Posts: 194
    Options
    Your losing from your waist? How?!?! LOL I am losing from my boobs and butt and those are the two areas I actually liked before losing weight lol.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Might help if you could tell us what size you are? If you are still plus-size Evans do trousers for the Pear shape which are a great fit for those of us with smaller waists to hips ratio. They also have items aimed at Busty which I combine since I straddle both body types when following their guidelines. If smaller someone may be able to recommend based on your dress size.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. Buy lower rise pants so that they fit you on the hip.
  • weffie11
    Options
    Bravissimo - you can order online and send it back if it doesn't fit!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

But it will show off her butt crack!!!

Wait...I'm cool with that.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^Wishing I had an hourglass figure. I love seeing the wide and skinney belts!!^^^

I have to admit, I hated it when I was bigger because I felt like it made me look even bigger than I would if I had a better figure. But now I really do love it, it's just annoying to dress sometimes!
  • cdg2311
    cdg2311 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd second the Evans 'cut for a pear' clothes, if you're size 16 or above. Going by my measurements my waist size is 2 dress sizes smaller than my hips, and the 'pear' jeans fit very well without a gaping waistband at the back. Simplybe do a 'fit your thigh' range which are cut bigger on the hips and thighs in proportion to the waist. I think Nigella Lawson is a curvy pear shape, and she tends to wear wrapover dresses which fit at the waist but flow nicely over the hips, rather than trousers.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Not that low, foo'.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Not that low, foo'.

Gonna have to pick something up at some point.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Anne Taylor Julie fit
    Abercrombie - ( was my go to in HS, even when i was goth b/c they fit well)
    Limited ( drew fit i think)