Stationary Bike

Options
Do any of you know the ideal speed you should be going when on a stationary bike?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    There isn't one. Set the resistance so it's comfortably hard, and go. If you're at a gym with a bike that can do different programs (like intervals, or various hill workouts), try one of those to mix it up. Too hard? Go down a level or two. Too easy? Go up a level or two. The important thing is to do it!
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have always heard with any cardio that it is best to raise your heart rate without pushing yourself too much. You should be able to hold a conversation without too much problem but shouldn't be able to sing a song. The longer you keep your heart rate up the more calories burned and indurance built! Since you are different from everyone else (i am 5'7" and 171 lbs.) and i jog 5.5mp for 20 mintues and that's usually my cardio but someone who is 6'0" 140 may be able to do it faster and longer and get the same results. Try it out a little different each day and see what your body responds to the best! GOOD LUCK!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Resistance is more important than speed. Intervals are good! Don't free wheel... Gives you bad knees! X
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    I go between 13.0-15.5 mph most of the time when I am riding the bike.
    That being said... I can still sing just not for an extended time (but then I'm a musician with massive lungs hehe) but I can't go any faster and actually make it the time I need to be on there.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Resistance is more important than speed. Intervals are good! Don't free wheel... Gives you bad knees! X

^^^^^ - this ;-))
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I do stationary bike 3 days a week for 45 minutes. I try to keep my RPMS above 100 so I get a good sweat going. Monitoring your heart rate is the best way of testing how hard you are working. My bikes have ideal heart rates by age and I try to hit those target rates. I see so many people at the gym on the bikes that aren't even breaking a sweat I don't think they are doing anything for themselves.