SMITH MACHINE SQUATS!?!? Love or hate em!?!?!

Options
Whats shakin MFP people! I am limited to doing Smith Machine squats right now..... And yes I know they arent as good or have the natural path of per se a Squat rack etc... But I tried them yesterday and yes though a little awkward I did get a good burn workout with the SMith.

I figure It cant be worse than no Squatting at all.

Toughts??suggestions???? nude pics???:devil:

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Bumparooooski!!!
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I find the smith machine awkward and don't use it.
    Can you not do barbell back squats due to some injury?
    Do you have access to a leg press? I'd use a leg press; or just super high rep bodyweight squats before using the smith machine.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Very good IMO.

If its good enough for Mr O, it'll do me.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I've been doing smith machine squats and I find them a lot more comfortable than barbell squats. Though, I do plan to transition to regular squats pretty soon.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Personally, I avoid the smith machine as it leads me down a path of bad form. And, I have yet to see anyone I know do a squat with good form on it.

That's not to say it can't be done....just that most people can't do it. But then again, most people have sucky form on a variety of lifts.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I use the Smith Machine only because there are no free weight areas to do regular weighted squats. Irritating to say the least.

I'm still getting results using the Smith Machine, my *kitten* is proof. It works for me, but if I had the option I wouldn't use it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I use the Smith Machine only because there are no free weight areas to do regular weighted squats. Irritating to say the least.

I'm still getting results using the Smith Machine, my *kitten* is proof. It works for me, but if I had the option I wouldn't use it.

Why not?
  • dvdfox67
    dvdfox67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do them when the squat rack is in use and I don't want to wait. They'll work. I think the worst part is you might be tempted to do more weight than you should.
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I hate the damn thing and do leg presses instead.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    The only reason I would use a smith is if my gym didn't have squat racks. In which case, I would find a new gym.
    Smith squats make my hips feel like they're going to explode.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    When I asked this I was told (by Brandon Campbell actually):

You can use the smith, but it doesn't use as much muscle activation as free weight squats. I also find sometimes people tend to let form go a little which can lead to possible injury, so just be careful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zILL_TD824U

A study that was done using EMGs for smith machine and free weight squats:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19855308
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    people will bash the smith machine a lot on here and in general in the fitness community

But I know for a lot of people (planet fitness goers I believe) that is what they are used to - and while the bar might path in a way that is awkward for some there is no reason why you cant get a good workout/stimulation from a smith machine. Id much rather see someone doing ATG smith machine squats then the quarter squats i see all the time. If its what you can do then do it IMO
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I can only get 425 on the one in my neighborhood gym (sometimes I'm too lazy to drive to my Gold's). Not much use...
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It's good to mix it up and incorporate machines into your workouts. If there's no squat racks available, but the smith is open I gladly go to it.

If you love squats you'll love doing them every which possible way. When I do squats twice a week, I may find that going to the smith is just better for the 2nd round.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Smith machine is all I have access to so I do my squats there and I like it. My form isn't off in the least when I use it. I used to go to a gym where they had the Olympic bar as well as the smith machine and I used both. I preferred the smith when I squatted heavy because I didn't have a spotter for the cage. I did set the bars so that I could drop it just in case but I always felt like I was going to torque my back when I squatted heavy there so I opted for the smith. Even now if I had access to a squat rack, cage etc. I'd probably still incorporate the smith machine in my workouts.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

Some gyms don't have Power Racks. Instead they have Smith Machines which look like Power Racks, but with a fixed bar. Some people will tell you the Smith Machine is safer than free weights since the bar can't fall on you.

Well this isn't true. You can get injured using the Smith Machine. And although you're using a bar, it's a machine. Meaning you'll get subpar results compared to free weights. Here are 10 reasons you shouldn't use the Smith Machine.

1. False Sense of Security. You'll tend to take more risks on the Smith Machine because the barbell is fixed. Putting on weights you might not be able to lift yet since you can stop it more easily anyway.

The Smith Machine isn't as safe as it looks. You can injure yourself if you don't watch what you're doing. Read this story & watch this video for examples of Smith Machine accidents.

2. Unnatural Movements. On a free weight Squat your body goes down in an arched path. Smith Machines force your body into fixed, unnatural movements patterns. This can cause injuries, especially with heavier weights.

New generation Smith Machines — like the Jones Smith Machine — try to solve the problem by allowing 3D movements, including front & backward movement. But they're still machines with drawbacks. Read on.

3, Knee Injuries. Knee pain from the Smith Machine is common. It forces your body into fixed movements patterns and places shearing loads on your knees. And it's hard to position yourself correctly under the bar.

Feet Position. Feet too much under the bar: more knee flexion and knee stress. Feet too much forward: more knee stress because they want to slide forward and your lower back gets in a weak position.
    Hip Extension. You'll tend to lean against the fixed bar, causing less hip extension. Your hamstrings — knee stabilizers — will shut down. More shear force on your knees and thus more risks of ACL injuries.

4. Lower Back Injuries. The fixed bar tends to make you rest against it and the Smith Machine forces you into unnatural movements patterns.

Lower Back Stress. You're pushing your spinal erectors & neck muscles more against the bar. More back stress, especially with heavier weights.
    Lower Back Rounding. Feet too far forward puts your lower back in a weak position and will tend to make your lower back round.

5. No Balance. The Smith Machine balances and stabilizes the weight for you since its bar is fixed. You won't strengthen your stabilizing muscles or improve balance & coordination. Things you need for daily activities & sports.

6. Less Strength. All exercises become easier and less stressful since the Smith Machine balances the weight for you. You won't get as strong. Expect to lift less weight when switching to free weights.

7. Less Muscle. If you aren't making gains: switching to free weights will often make you break that plateau. Free weights force you to balance the weight, making the exercise harder on your body. Bigger adaptive response.

8. Muscle Imbalances You only build strength in 1 plane since the bar is fixed. This causes muscle imbalances and increases the risks of injuries in the other undeveloped planes of movements.

9. Technique is Different. Common advice is to learn to Squat inside the Smith Machine before switching to free weights. The thinking behind this is that the Smith Machine is safer and helps with balance.

But it's a waste of time. Technique is different using free weights since you have to balance the weight yourself. You'll have to lower the weight when switching and relearn technique from scratch.

10. Less Potential. You can minimize some of the above problems. But even if you do, the Smith Machine remains less effective for strength and muscle gains. Instead of trying to minimize problems: do the exercises with most potential.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Why not?

I would rather use the free bar. It would be more of a challenge for me to stabilize the bar with my own body more instead of relying on the machine to keep it in place for me.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    The smith machine will do the job, but I'm not a big fan. I don't like being locked into such a straight up and down motion. I will say that doing bench or incline on the smith will seriously mess up your shoulders.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Hate them.