Should I increase food intake for account for exercise?

Options
Hi,
I'd really appreciate some advice.
I've been working really hard over the past 5 months and have got some great results...I was 126 pounds and now 109 (I'm 5'2"), I've been weight training with some high impact interval stuff and occasional cardio and have gained tonnes of muscle mass and my body fat has reduced from about 28% to 23%. So, I'm really happy with my progress this far. My problem is that I think I have over trained and I'm currently feeling the worst I have ever felt, without actually being ill. My resting HR the past 2 days has been 80-90bpm (it's usually 50), had an insatiable appetite and been unbelievably tired. I've also felt really hot on the outside but cold inside, if that makes sense. Having looked around online, it seems I've got over training syndrome. So I'm trying to figure out where to go from here as I've obviously over done things.
I have been eating around 1300 calories a day with 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat but have been trying to up the protein and lower the carbs as I really want to further reduce my body fat. Having properly calculated my calorie requirements, I can see I was under eating slightly if I was inactive but given that some days I'm burning up to 800 calories working out and I don't increase my intake on days I do train, I'm wondering if this is where I've gone wrong.
So, long story short, should I be increasing my intake to account for my workouts? And, as I'm wanting to drop body fat should I still be aiming for a small (10%) deficit?
Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    YES you should be eating back your exercise calories. Otherwise, you are running on virtually no fuel. If you're only eating 1300 and burning 800, that is only 500 calories to function!
  • weekari
    weekari Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It does sound a bit obvious when you put it like that! :smile: Should it be the equivalent though? If I burn 800 calories, should I eat those back?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You should probably eat more.. Your a bit above 20% BF and weight 109.. think you should eat more reduce your cut and start lifting some weights.. how much more are you thinking of losing? That sounds like a healthy range right there...

Also if you are 109 and burning 800 calories, where are you getting that number? That's gotta be like 2 hours of cardio... no wonder your getting beat.
  • tammyvarley77
    tammyvarley77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good question confusing me too x 6 weigh ins -24 lbs doing something right but still unsure
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It does sound a bit obvious when you put it like that! :smile: Should it be the equivalent though? If I burn 800 calories, should I eat those back?
    Yep! In order to get back to your 1300 you need to eat back your 800 burned (or whatever you burn that day. If it were me I would even up it to around 1450 - 1500 on training days with loads of protein..shoot for 50% and you'll probably hit around 45%. Reduce your training session to 3 x week (to less than an hour per session) for a couple of weeks. Let your body repair a bit....then slam it again. You rolling pretty well....Keep up the good work.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Generally speaking, yes you'll want to eat them all back, at least as a starting point and see how you do. But ultimately, it's kind of a crap shoot. You can always go by feel assuming you have a reasonable feel for your body and some degree of common sense.

Are you losing weight? -> Yes -> Is your performance impacted? -> No -> Keep doing what you're doing
    Are you losing weight? -> Yes -> Is your performance impacted? -> Yes -> Eat a little bit more
    Are you losing weight? -> No -> Is your performance impacted? -> No -> Eat a little bit less
    Are you losing weight? -> No -> Is your performance impacted? -> Yes -> Sucks to be you
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, you aren't probably building any muscle, you need an anabolic state for your body to do that, which means a calorie surplus and weight gain. You are probably building strength though. Since you have been getting tired, set your account to maintain for a week and not exercise. Diet breaks can be very beneficial for training as it will allow you to recover.

Then since you exercise regular include exercise in your lifestyle (moderately active) and have a small deficit, 1/2 lb per week. This will probably around 1700-1900 calories which will be good for training as you need fuel.
  • banishthebelly
    banishthebelly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    kinda my question too.... shouldn't one just eat back the "net" calories that mfp shows if you're wanting to lose weight? otherwise, if you're eating back all your burned calories , won't you simply maintain?...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    kinda my question too.... shouldn't one just eat back the "net" calories that mfp shows if you're wanting to lose weight? otherwise, if you're eating back all your burned calories , won't you simply maintain?...

No. MFP calculates a calorie goal for you to lose weight based on no exercise. When you exercise, you need to eat back those cals to get back to MFP's net goal for you.
  • weekari
    Options
    Thanks guys!! A lot of this is helpful.
    Just a few point to clarify...
    I definitely have gained muscle mass. I have been measuring my BF and and have been tracking changes in my body with photos and measurements, along with my actual weight. I know weight loss is not the most accurate measurement of outcome. So I know I've not just been burning away my muscle- I can measure it, see it and feel it!
    What I eat is very good- I eat 100% clean and never eat off plan- maybe I'll have some alcohol once a month but my food is always clean and nutritious.
    I don't burn 800 calories everyday- it's up to 800 calories- that's an hour's body pump and an hour's body attack which is the most I ever work out and I only do that once a week.
    I measure my calorie burn with a Polar FT 40 HR monitor.
    I do weight train- that's what I have been doing mostly. I lift heavy weights (for me anyway!) and I have been getting stronger.
    I only hit the wall this weekend. I was feeling totally buzzed before that. Looking back, there were a few sessions I wasn't 100% and have stopped due to low blood sugar. So the signs were there but I just didn't put 2 and 2 together.
    I think I was so focused on all the big stuff, I overlooked the simple things, like eating enough...it is a big learning process!
    I think the solution is to up my intake on training days and I will rest another few days before gradually getting back into things.
    I learned this lesson the hard way! :laugh:
  • makieo
    makieo Posts: 16
    Options
    20% fat is really low for the type of training you are doing. Your body really need those o-3 and o-6 fats to repair and restore body functions. I would recommend a 40% protein 30% carb 30% fat. This will lean you more, keep you feeling fuller and give your body the healthy fats your body needs.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Not an expert here but you sound very similar to me (bf%, work load, goals etc.). You definitely need to be eating back at least half of your exercise calories, maybe more. I don't neccessarily think you need to decrease your % carbohydrates. Carbs are very important for athletic performance and provided you are getting enough protein per lb of body mass you should be okay. I set my macros at 40:30:30 carbs:protein:fat. I train for sport 6 days a week (often twice a day and can burn up to 1200 calories a day). I lift 3 times a week, do HIIT, football training, cycling and boxing.

More importantly, it definitely sounds like you have symptoms of over-training. This can be very serious if not dealt with. I would go and see a medical professional about this. You're probably not going to like it but you may need to cut right back on exercise for a while. You need to deal with this otherwise you'll end up feeling worse.
  • weekari
    Options
    You're probably not going to like it but you may need to cut right back on exercise for a while. You need to deal with this otherwise you'll end up feeling worse.

:noway: OMG I do not like the though of that one bit! I definitely will see a GP if my symptoms continue- esp the high HR and temp and won't even think of going to the gym until I'm 100% I'm hoping that I've not done myself too much harm and with some TLC, I can bounce back *fingers crossed*

I'm glad of the recommendation to eat more fat as it's something I often overdo (nuts and avocado usually) so I'll try allowing a bit more and see if that helps things.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Just look after yourself. The high HR and temp are definitely a warning flag. Fingers crossed with a short rest that you'll get it all sorted out
  • neiljbrady
    neiljbrady Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What about your H2O intake. When you are taking in a lot of protein, you HAVE to drink a lot of water. Being de-hydrated can make you feel very sluggish.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    50bpm resting is very, very low. Typical is 60-80.
  • weekari
    Options
    Usually my water intake is OK I drink loads during exercise but afterwards it can vary depending on what I'm doing- I'd say typically it's about a litre a day but that was the norm for me before I upped my protein so maybe I could try increasing water too. My bf actually said to me recently I looked dehydrated and when I asked what gave it away he said I had more wrinkles than normal!! :laugh: That's enough motivation for me!
  • weekari
    Options
    50bpm resting is very, very low. Typical is 60-80.

I know it's low but that's what the HR monitor reads! I had to have my heart function checked a few years back and everything was super healthy. I have been exercising for a long time- cardio for years and years before I switched to this current program so I am pretty fit (aside from my current state!)
  • Momieof2girls
    Momieof2girls Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think you have a plan!! Good luck!!
    Thanks guys!! A lot of this is helpful.
    Just a few point to clarify...
    I definitely have gained muscle mass. I have been measuring my BF and and have been tracking changes in my body with photos and measurements, along with my actual weight. I know weight loss is not the most accurate measurement of outcome. So I know I've not just been burning away my muscle- I can measure it, see it and feel it!
    What I eat is very good- I eat 100% clean and never eat off plan- maybe I'll have some alcohol once a month but my food is always clean and nutritious.
    I don't burn 800 calories everyday- it's up to 800 calories- that's an hour's body pump and an hour's body attack which is the most I ever work out and I only do that once a week.
    I measure my calorie burn with a Polar FT 40 HR monitor.
    I do weight train- that's what I have been doing mostly. I lift heavy weights (for me anyway!) and I have been getting stronger.
    I only hit the wall this weekend. I was feeling totally buzzed before that. Looking back, there were a few sessions I wasn't 100% and have stopped due to low blood sugar. So the signs were there but I just didn't put 2 and 2 together.
    I think I was so focused on all the big stuff, I overlooked the simple things, like eating enough...it is a big learning process!
    I think the solution is to up my intake on training days and I will rest another few days before gradually getting back into things.
    I learned this lesson the hard way! :laugh: