SMITH MACHINE SQUATS!?!? Love or hate em!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think that Smith squats restrict the bar movement making the risk of injury much more likely. Ever fail on a squat? You drop the weight behind you. Cant do that on a smith. Image the damn bar hitting every single bone in your back on the way down. Enjoy your wheelchair!
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    BUMP

they have a smith machine at my gym, but I have been advised on here to do squats with dumbbells instead....interested to see more responses!

ETA: no power rack at my gym *sigh*
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I know that the authors of New Rules of Lifting do not suggest using it because of the reasons already listed with range of motion and balance. Also the potential for injury to your lower back.

My gym has one squat rack, if I cant get in there I will just use a barbell and do front squats with less weight as opposed to go into the smith machine.
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    I love em!!! I get a great workout doing it that way and my *kitten* is showing major improvements doing them. I also do leg press and stiff leg deadlifts to so that also helps.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I use the Smith Machine only because there are no free weight areas to do regular weighted squats. Irritating to say the least.

I'm still getting results using the Smith Machine, my *kitten* is proof. It works for me, but if I had the option I wouldn't use it.

Why not?

The Smith Machines do not promote natural movement, and therefore may not be ldeal. In the past, I've used them, and didn't really have a problem. But, it's not my thing. Having done squats on only a power rack for a while now, I think a Smith Machine would be extremely awkward in that my motion would be confined to only up and down directly, which, IMO, is bad form. You need to arc a little. OTOH, if it's all I had, I'd use it.

^ This!!!
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I like using it to warm up on leg day. I feel like I can go deeper to get my muscles stretched and loosened up before I start free weight squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc...
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Very good IMO.

If its good enough for Mr O, it'll do me.

This is true. Im sore in my Glutimis maximus and my hammies from the Smith machine squats. I say thats a good sign.