Pea Protein Powder

Options
LB2LL
LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
I acquired some of this with the ultimate goal of switching from whey since it usually bothers my stomach. I usually put whey in my oatmeal for breakfast on lifting days and did this with the pea powder and had a damn near vomit-inducing experience.

SO... with that lovely image in your heads...

1. Do any of you regularly use pea protein powder?
2. Do you have any good smoothie recipes for vanilla pea powder? (I'm assuming smoothie form will be the best way to use this but I have heard that since the texture is a bit different from whey that it can be tricky getting the right mix/consistency).

Also, please refrain from explaining why you use something other than pea protein. I'm sure your reasoning is great but I have a HUGE *kitten* vat of this stuff and want to use it and not something else.

TIA!

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Bump. No answer, but I've never heard of pea protein powder before, so it'd be cool to hear.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I wish I can help I tried the whey and it does not agree with me. I tried the pea protein mix it with everything to try help the taste spit it out eat time and I was holding my nose. I just get my protein from my food I do pretty good I go over alot so I really dont need it If I do have my days I use the slim fast high protein low carb shakes and it works without stomach problems.
  • LB2LL
    Options
    I don't think the Slimfast would work for me. First ingredient is whey protein isolate.

C'mon... ANY recipes?
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I got some when I ordered a Klutch Club box (which I got for half price doing Earndit). It was AWFUL. It was supposed to be Chocolate flavored. It was the Pure Matters brand. Bleh. I guess if you like peas, and grass, it might be your thing. But it for sure didn't taste like chocolate.
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have a smoothie almost every morning and it's with pea protein powder. I use Almond milk that's only 40 calories (8oz), Spinach (you can't taste it but get in extra veggies, it just doesn't look pretty), Frozen blueberries or Frozen strawberries, Vanilla pea protein powder and a fiber boost to help stave off hunger for a longer period of time. I don't know if this helps, it's just what I do. Best of luck to you.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific recipes for it. Have you tried blending it up with some milk/water, ice, yogurt and some fruit? That's normally how I make protein shakes. I have only tried Whey and Soy powders so I'm not sure how Pea protein powder would be.

Or you can search online for recipes? I'm sure there would be some out there for shakes, bars, etc. Do you bake at all? You can add protein powders to baking (I have replaced some of the flour with protein powder but again I haven't tried pea). Or try to make protein pancakes with it? I'm sure the recipe is on the boards you could search for as I can't remember it off hand.

Have you used this powder before without the experience you had this morning or was it your first time trying it? If it was your first time you may have an issue with it.... possibly give it to someone who will use it if that's the case. Or was it the taste of it that caused you to feel sick? I've found a bit of sugar or sweetener with powders that I didn't like helped.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This site has lots of recipes using different types of protein powders (pea being one of them)
    http://www.proteinpow.com/

This Protein Fudge recipe came from her site. However, it does use some whey. Maybe use more pea protein or sub something else for the whey? Hope this helped some :-)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-protein-powder-chef-protein-fudge.html
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Thanks for the link to the recipes. I will have to try those muffins.

I was initially wary of putting them in a recipe to make protein bars, muffins, etc. because the person I got them from said the texture can be "off."
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have pea protein. It's unflavoured and let me tell you, it is the most vile thing I've ever tasted. I almost threw up the first time I had it (it was cheaper than the flavoured version and had a little more protein per serving) but quite honestly if I could go back I would spend more money and get the chocolate flavoured version, or screw it and get chocolate whey protein instead.

To answer your question, there isn't much you can do to be honest except add your own sweeteners and cocoa to it. Don't add it to anything like oats - it will just ruin the taste of oatmeal (which I actually like). Just down the protein, that's all and next time STAY AWAY FROM IT.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to the recipes. I will have to try those muffins.

I was initially wary of putting them in a recipe to make protein bars, muffins, etc. because the person I got them from said the texture can be "off."

Maybe try it with small batches just in case. You may enjoy the texture/flavour while someone else won't as we all have different tastes. It's worth it to try.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Mix 1 scoop with 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 a banana, 2 TSP peanut butter, and 3/4 cup spinach, and a cup of ice...the banana and peanut putter mask any flavor you would get from the pea protein.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    it always feels good to have a good pee/.
  • fenwayc1
    fenwayc1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use a pea/cranberry/rice protein blend from Arbonne that I LOVE. My favorite smoothie is about a cup of almond milk, kale, 1/2 frozen banana, ginger, cinnamon and the protein powder. I also put it in my oatmeal. I use chocolate or vanilla, sometimes a scoop of both.
  • LB2LL
    Options
    Mix 1 scoop with 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 a banana, 2 TSP peanut butter, and 3/4 cup spinach, and a cup of ice...the banana and peanut putter mask any flavor you would get from the pea protein.

I can get behind this. I'm a PB fanatic. Do you notice a difference if the bananas are frozen? What about fresh vs. frozen spinach (I've heard there is little to no difference).

Yeah it really would be nice if I could just have whey but I just can't. I should also add, I just use protein powder on lifting days as a recovery drink, or in the case of the mornings a little protein boost. It's not something I heavily rely on for protein intake.
  • LB2LL
    Options
    it always feels good to have a good pee/.

:laugh:
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use a vegan protein powder custom mix from www.truenutrition.com. You can choose your flavor and sweetener for it. I get the chocolate with stevia sweetener. It doesn't have a strong chocolate taste to it and there is no strong pea protein powder taste. Best part is, you can get a 30 day supply of a custom mix for less than $1 per serving.

Brad
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    This site has a lot of veg recipes. I was baking these for my marathon running vegan sister and the people at the store recommended Pea Protein for baking. These bars are REALLY good and very versitile with add-ins.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/quinoa-protein-energy-bars/
    3/4 cup dry quinoa, or about 2 cups cooked
    1/2 cup dates, pitted
    3 tablespoons agave nectar
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup protein powder (I used an unsweetened hemp-based version)
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup stir-ins like dry fruit, nuts, shredded coconut, or vegan chocolate chips. (I went for half chocolate chips and half coconut)
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8×8 baking dish lightly with baking spray.

Rinse the dry quinoa in cold water, then let sit in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. In the meantime, bring 1 cup of water to boil. Drain the quinoa and add to the boiling water. Cover, and reduce heat to simmer for about 12 minutes. Let cool enough to handle.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cooked quinoa, dates, agave nectar, vegetable oil, flaxseed, almond extract, and salt. Process until relatively smooth (the quinoa is so small it stays slightly lumpy).

In a small bowl, stir together the protein powder, flour, and stir-ins. Fold this dry mixture into wet mixture with a spatula. The dough is very thick, like cookie dough, so use the spatula to press into prepared pan evenly.

Bake for about 22-25 minutes, until firm. Let cool, then slice into a dozen bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months.

Nutrition facts (with chocolate chip and coconut option): Calories: 184, Total Fat: 5.4 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 0 g, Sodium: 37 mg, Potassium: 113 mg, Total Carbs: 29 g, Fiber: 3 g, : Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 7.3 g.

ETA: I tried using rice protein with my oats on Saturday and I had the same experience. Gag-worthy. I'm so glad my whey is being delivered today!
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options

I can get behind this. I'm a PB fanatic. Do you notice a difference if the bananas are frozen? What about fresh vs. frozen spinach (I've heard there is little to no difference).

Yeah it really would be nice if I could just have whey but I just can't. I should also add, I just use protein powder on lifting days as a recovery drink, or in the case of the mornings a little protein boost. It's not something I heavily rely on for protein intake.

I use frozen bananas and have used both frozen and fresh spinach. If you are using fresh spinach, I would add at least a cup.
  • LB2LL
    Options
    This site has a lot of veg recipes. I was baking these for my marathon running vegan sister and the people at the store recommended Pea Protein for baking. These bars are REALLY good and very versitile with add-ins.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/quinoa-protein-energy-bars/
    3/4 cup dry quinoa, or about 2 cups cooked
    1/2 cup dates, pitted
    3 tablespoons agave nectar
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup protein powder (I used an unsweetened hemp-based version)
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup stir-ins like dry fruit, nuts, shredded coconut, or vegan chocolate chips. (I went for half chocolate chips and half coconut)
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8×8 baking dish lightly with baking spray.

Rinse the dry quinoa in cold water, then let sit in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. In the meantime, bring 1 cup of water to boil. Drain the quinoa and add to the boiling water. Cover, and reduce heat to simmer for about 12 minutes. Let cool enough to handle.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cooked quinoa, dates, agave nectar, vegetable oil, flaxseed, almond extract, and salt. Process until relatively smooth (the quinoa is so small it stays slightly lumpy).

In a small bowl, stir together the protein powder, flour, and stir-ins. Fold this dry mixture into wet mixture with a spatula. The dough is very thick, like cookie dough, so use the spatula to press into prepared pan evenly.

Bake for about 22-25 minutes, until firm. Let cool, then slice into a dozen bars. Store in an airtight container for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months.

Nutrition facts (with chocolate chip and coconut option): Calories: 184, Total Fat: 5.4 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 0 g, Sodium: 37 mg, Potassium: 113 mg, Total Carbs: 29 g, Fiber: 3 g, : Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 7.3 g.

ETA: I tried using rice protein with my oats on Saturday and I had the same experience. Gag-worthy. I'm so glad my whey is being delivered today!

OH these sound delish! Thanks :) This would be a great morning/afternoon snack :)