Green Tea....

Options
So I dont drink coffee or tea typically, but I keep hearing how good green tea is for you. Tried some over the weekend and really like it! Any input on health benefits of green tea?

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If you like it, drink it. I like it and drink it occasionally. Not as much as I used to when I lived in Japan. I'm healthier now than when I lived in Japan. There is absolutely no correlation whatsoever to my consumption of green tea and my health.

It's not a miracle beverage. It's just a beverage.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So I dont drink coffee or tea typically, but I keep hearing how good green tea is for you. Tried some over the weekend and really like it! Any input on health benefits of green tea?

There's a thread here which discusses all the benefits but here's an article that was posted there: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=146
  • swiftjen77
    Options
    I know it contains antioxidants. I drink two cups plain without anything added after breakfast and it gives me a little boost. I like it because it's calorie free and I think it suppresses the appetite a little so I don't have to eat until lunch. I used to always have to have a snack between breakfast and lunch but not since I've been drinking the green tea every morning after breakfast.
  • runningwild00
    Options
    I started drinking green tea about 3 or so years ago when a tea company (I think Bigelow) was having some contest that if you drank 3 cups a day you'd lose weight (because supposedly it boosts your metabolism, yadda yadda) I got really in to trying to learn about green tea, there are some health benefits like antioxidants and such. But honestly, I never noticed it affecting my body differently. Now I just like it! I think it has a really clean taste to it and I find it refreshing

So if you like it, go for it! I think that's most important!
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is just the increased water in my system or the green tea, but I feel more energized after drinking a mug of green tea.
    As for any other benefits, I don't really know what they say it is good for.
    To me, it tastes good, and as far as I know, has no disadvantages, so I drink green tea whenever I feel like it :smile:
  • HananYako30
    HananYako30 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i drink green tea once everyday...but i have question do u add sugar to ur green tea or u drink it just plain.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i brew it with a mint teabag and it's delicious. but it's not a magic cure to help you lose weight. if you really can't get in to it, don't force it on yourself.
  • zampi03
    zampi03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A study released by the NIH recently suggests that the flouride in green tea can upset your thyroid. I would look into it. It is just a suggestion (in science a suggestion means there's pretty good evidence, but the hypothesis hasn't been tested yet." Suggested" means "research more but we think we're right".
  • emmajayneduff
    emmajayneduff Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm unsure of the health benefits of green tea, all I know really is about the antioxidants.

It's all I drink as I totally went off milk in tea and coffee while pregnant with my son 6 years ago, and I've never gone back.

I drink the Green Tea with Orange and Lotus Flower by Twinnings, it's yummy and so refreshing!

xx
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I read that it boosts your metabolism, and its a natural stimulant. Not sure whether it being a stimulant is a good or a bad thing but I guess that depends on what you're looking for.
  • emmajayneduff
    emmajayneduff Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just have it without sugar but I have the flavoured ones, I love the Orange and Lotus Flower by Twinnings x
  • VSeed2008
    Options
    I drink it plain
  • VSeed2008
    Options
    i drink green tea once everyday...but i have question do u add sugar to ur green tea or u drink it just plain.

I drink it plain
  • Caletagirl
    Caletagirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like to drink Green Tea because of the anti Oxidants. But not a lot of people are aware that Green Tea has Caffeine. So I tend to drink Green Tea in the morning for a boost that should last through the day and Red Bush tea later, as this has no Caffeine.
    I find that adding a sweetener to Plain Green tea helps slightly with the taste.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I read that it boosts your metabolism, and its a natural stimulant. Not sure whether it being a stimulant is a good or a bad thing but I guess that depends on what you're looking for.

Green tea has EGCG in it that binds the caffeine---so no CNS stimulation there. There is, however, theanine in it which tends to promote a state of relaxed alertness. :smile: The effect has been noted in test subject's EEG tracings.
  • jeh123
    Options
    Green tea is really good for you and even can help your skin with sun damage. It does contain caffeine and so I drink one big cup a day when i hit my 3:00 wall at work. You can even put a little honey in it and drink it over ice. It is also said to help with digestion and with metabolism :)
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Haha, I was wondering about this last week so I blogged about it:
    http://think-slimmer.com/2013/02/18/whats-the-deal-with-green-tea/

Basically it can increase your metabolism a maximum of about 4%, or 100 calories in a day (there about) and helps a little bit to prevent fat from "sticking" instead of just flushing out.

I started drinking Lipton (I think?) Superfruit Green Tea with Acai and Dragonfruit and Melon flavor, is super good :D
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Haha, I was wondering about this last week so I blogged about it:
    http://think-slimmer.com/2013/02/18/whats-the-deal-with-green-tea/

Basically it can increase your metabolism a maximum of about 4%, or 100 calories in a day (there about) and helps a little bit to prevent fat from "sticking" instead of just flushing out.

I started drinking Lipton (I think?) Superfruit Green Tea with Acai and Dragonfruit and Melon flavor, is super good :D

While 100 calories a day isn't going to do much to lose the 40 pounds someone might need to lose, if he/she had been drinking it over the 5 years of their 40 pound weight gain, they might not have gained it at all. 100 calories a day is one pound every five weeks---ten pounds in a year (the typical amount gained during the "middle-age spread"). :wink: