Is it water weight?

Options
Hello! I'm new here :) I just started my weight loss journey last Wednesday, and it was going pretty well. I'm doing the 30 day shred, and am on a 1200 calorie, low-carb diet. I'm about 5'6", started at 153 lbs and managed to drop down to 145 lbs by Saturday. I felt pretty awesome. Then, on my cheat day (Saturday), I decided to have some take-out chinese food. This morning I weighed 147. After lunch (I only had some salad and a spoonful of hummus), I weighed 150! Is this normal to gain that much weight during the day, even after such a small meal? 5 lbs of water weight? I love food, and I don't know how long I'm going to be able to keep this up if I see that I'm gaining weight; I'll just lose all motivation. Should I add some more cardio? Or maybe even eat more (I'm not sure I'm actually hitting that 1200 calorie mark)? It's so frustrating to see that I gained weight. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal to weigh more later in the day. Not only is it water weight, but also the weight of all the food and waste added to your system as the day progresses. That's why it's recommended you weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you visit the restroom. Weighing yourself several times a day is just asking to be discouraged.

I'm a big proponent of eating more than 1200 calories, or at least logging your exercise and eating back some of your earned calories. You'll have to play around and see what works for you.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    Chinese food is absolutely chock full of sodium - which can take a few days to get our of your system. Lots of water will help you flush your system and you should see that you go back down to 'normal'. On average, I believe people put on 3-5lbs per day from eating/drink etc (I read this somewhere).
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    1. If you are on 1200 calories per day you don't really additionally need to make that low carb. On that low amount of calories to then deny your body of fuel it needs isn't going to get you anywhere. You need to eat healthy carbs e.g. wholewheat pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.
    2. Don't weigh yourself after every meal, it's ridiculous and is going to send you on a downwards spiral. Weigh yourself once a day (if you have to) and make it in the morning, after you go to the toilet and before you eat anything.
    3. People gain anywhere between 1-5lbs in the course of a day due to water intake, food, etc. and then the following morning it is gone again where the body has digested this.
    4. If you are working out, you could be gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat but makes your body look a load better.
    5. You haven't even been working out for one week so I don't think you need to be adding anymore exercise in just yet, you could be overdoing it a little if you are new to working out.
    6. If you are going to eat 1200 calories a day you MUST hit that bare minimum. And if you are subtracting your exercise calories from it, you must then eat them back. 1200 calories is the minimum amount of calories per day your body needs to function correctly, so if you go under your body will hit starvation mode and you wont lose weight because it will store up all your fat.

My advice is to measure yourself and go by measurements whilst you are using the 30 Day Shred, weigh yourself once a week i you have to but don't take the weight seriously and instead go by inches for your progress.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate up to 10 lbs from when I wake up and go to bed... it sucks. Most days its about 5 lbs, but it's been worse.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can easily gain 10 lbs in a day based on food. You get pasted it by stop weighing yourself throughout the day and probably better to do it once a week. Also, you should probably feed yourself more. With 25 lbs to lose, you should probably aim for 1 lb per week and at least eating another 200 calories on exercise day or just setting your account to lightly active.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Never weigh yourself throughout the day after you've been eating/drinking. Always weigh at the same time on the same day. I do it once per week on a Sunday morning.

Weigh:
    After using the bathroom (#1 and #2)
    Before eating or drinking anything
    No clothes on
    Scale in the exact same spot
    Same day
    Same approximate time
    On a morning when you have had a full night's rest (for me that's when I don't have to work the next day)

Throughout the day, you add to what is in your body so of course the scale will go up. And yes, Chinese food is usually full of sodium. If I eat Chinese, I find that I often have water weight gain for a while afterwards. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Whoa whoa whoa! Stop weighing yourself so darn much!! You've only been at this for 5 days and have lost weight! This is good. Take deep cleansing breaths... There now - feel better? :flowerforyou:

You only gained 2 pounds of water weight (145-147) from the Chinese food. The other three pounds is the weight of the food you ate for lunch plus anything you may have had to drink. We don't think much about our liquid intake but look at it this way - 1 gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds! So a cup of water weighs about 1/2 pound. Add that to whatever might be in your colon and/or bladder and you've got another pound or two.

And I agree with psulemon (of course, he's pretty freakin smart) about your weight loss goal. Make sure it's no more than 1 pound per week. And make sure you eat back your exercise calories.

Hide the scale for a few days, it may do you some good.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you suddenly dropped your calories you probably lost water weight at first.
    Don't weigh yourself more than once a week. Weight fluctuates a couple of lbs day to day.
    You just started like a week ago!! You gotta be patient if you want long term results. I've gained and re-lost lbs before. Its probably going to happen.
    Google how to calculate your BMR and TDEE to figure out how many calories you should eat. Its quite helpful.
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    How many cups of water do you consume? There are some days that I drink upwards to 12 cups of water... which can weigh over 6lbs. Add food on top of that... and it'll explain the weight 'gain'. Weigh yourself once a week, preferably in the morning before eating, and after using the bathroom. This will give you a more accurate answer.
  • marbiovet
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice/suggestions/help. I'll be sure to take all of it into consideration during my weight loss journey :) I'm definitely going to have to hide the scale from myself for the next few days, and I'll be sure to stay away from chinese food haha