Having trouble eating enough calories!

Options
Wow, I never ever thought I'd say that, but it's true! I have been eating very clean, natural foods for the past few weeks and I am actually having a difficult time consuming the minimum 1200 calories per day. I know this is risky for the possibility of my body going into starvation mode, but I truly do only eat when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm satisfied. I don't know what I should do!

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated!

Replies

• AlyssaNorth
    AlyssaNorth Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    eat nuts...they are full of calories
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts! I'm the same way. 1/4 cup unsalted, raw almonds has approx. 233 calories.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. Don't take my word for it:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great idea Alyssa!!!! lol
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat higher calorie foods. Losing weight isn't about living on broccoli and lean chicken, it's learning to feed your body properly. Incorporate eggs, full fat dairy, meats, nuts, peanut butter and other higher calorie foods into your diet. You don't have to consume high quantity to have high calorie.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you're just steaming your veggies, try roasting them in olive oil or steaming them and then drizzling them with olive oil or real butter. That should add some calories. Dried fruit (buy the kind without additional sugar if you want to keep it natural) is calorie-dense as well.
  • MJackson54
    Options
    I never pay attention to the numbers . . . I eat when I am hungry and I never eat if I'm not hungry. Doing just fine.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Eat higher calorie foods. Losing weight isn't about living on broccoli and lean chicken, it's learning to feed your body properly. Incorporate eggs, full fat dairy, meats, nuts, peanut butter and other higher calorie foods into your diet. You don't have to consume high quantity to have high calorie.

^ This is great advise.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Calorie-dense foods. Nuts, avacado, and unless you are avoiding carbs, whole wheat/brown rice/etc can be a good way to get some calories in. If you are only eating veggies, you might be so high on the fiber that you are feeling stuffed. Veggies are calorie-light, and they fill a lot of space for only a few calories. I am vegetarian, so it is hard for me to find that balance, as well!
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    My first question is why are you only eating 1200 calories? My Fitness Pal preset amounts are not the way to go.

You should calculate your needs based on BMR/TDEE/height/weight/age/gender/activity level. See http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 for more information.

Secondly, are you sure you're tracking your food correctly? Measuring and weighing everything or just eyeballing it?

In addition to what the other members suggested, juicing is a great way to add extra calories, especially when you're doing a lot of fruits.
  • res119
    res119 Posts: 27
    Options
    I do eat eggs, peanut butter, meats, whole grains, and all that good stuff. I just try to limit my portions, which hasn't been a problem as like I said I have been getting full from this. MFP calculated that I should be eating about 1400 calories a day to lose the amount of weight I'd like to lose, so I try to stay between 1200 and 1400 per day.

I will definitely try eating more nuts and maybe up my portions a little to raise my calories. Thanks for all the great advice!
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I don't track my food between meals, I eat about 900 calories per day at the most, and I know that's not good. I'm also a vegetarian so it seems like it's harder for me to find foods that have enough calories and are healthy and meat free.