Zero Noodles!

Options
2»

Replies

• fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Instead I just cut out most carbs and I do eat pasta on occastion just smaller portions. my co-worker does whole weat.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have never tried to keep them, but I would imagine they would keep okay for a couple days, anyway...

Try it, and let US know! :-)

-BootJockey
  • kyleesartwell
    Options
    I have tried them many times with different sauces and toppings and I always drain and rinse thoroughly first as directed on the package but they still taste disgusting!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    to answer your question about whether they will keep or not, use the whole package instead of using half. You will either love them or hate them. and if you love them, I think you'll want the whole package. It's not very much actually. I made pad thai with it and it just filled a pasta bowl (individual size). I hate them and both times I prepared them I threw it out.
  • oliviamariex
    Options
    I eat them and have found that you MUST rinse them for 5 min in cold water then put them in a non stick pan and pan fry them dry. They take on the flavor of any sauce that you put on them.

A good subsitute for pasta and I get mine at the local Sprouts store.

This!! Skirataki noodles are FANTASTIC with a sauce because they do take on the flavor of the sauce. DON'T eat them alone though as they taste a little weird plain

EDIT: Another good low-calorie noodle substitute is ZUCCHINI!!! Use either a vegetable peeler or a knife to get them in noodle shapes. Or if you have a spiralizer, even better! It's really delicious, actually I made a raw fettucine alfredo with them as pictured in my main photo on my profile. Let me know if you want the recipe!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Ginger, chinese five spice, miso, (fresh dungeoness crab, shrimp or lobster), green onion, carrot, garlic, fish sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I had them for the first time tonight, added them to some chicken stew. I liked them, they're not pasta ish but they are noodle ish!

I will buy them again and also want to try the rice too.

I used half a pack and have kept the other half in it's packet in the fridge, will use them up tomorrow.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I've bought them now, so am at least going to give them a try!! Does anyone know the answer to my original question, ie do they keep once you have opened the packet or do you have to use them all at once?!

I would use them all up. Since its only 2 servings per bag (and fairly low calories per serving to boot) I usually eat them all.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Love those shirataki noodles. I make some awesome stir fry's with them. Wash them really well. Then cook them on a high heat-pan with no oil, this drys them out. Then I add them to my stir fry. YUM! :smooched:
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You have to rinse them like crazy. Then pat as dry as you can. Then, nuke the heck out of them. They are eh, a decent substitue. For a spaghetti substitute, I like to use broccoli slaw that I have steamed and drained. It tastes better, no fishy smell, and at least has nutrients. :drinker:

Another plus: broccoli slaw is a lot cheaper. I pay 1.58 for a bag at Wal-Mart.
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    I've tried them before - I think you could definately siphon a portion out and keep the packet in the fridge - not for a long time - couple of days most.

You need to rinse them out well and dry fry them until they squeak like tiny little mice. Then you put your sauce on them and they are still flipping vile (sorry)

Some people swear by them, but eating them just made me very sad about my life so I stopped.

Also they absorb water like a mother which is why I think they give people stomach aches - also they are pretty much all fibre (I think) so you should have some interesting bowel movements
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    They certainly seem to divide opinion! I will report back tomorrow and let you all know my thoughts!
  • ukkiosan
    ukkiosan Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just made these yesterday, and I have to say they turned out better than expected! The key is to wash them really well and let them simmer in a good sauce for a while so you lose the fishy flavor. I prepared the whole 1 lb bag, added lotus root and turkey meatballs, and let that simmer in a sauce of composed of miso paste, teriyaki, ground ginger, onion powder, chili powder, lime juice, and sriracha. I divided the whole thing into two portions and added slivers of roasted carrots and broccoli as a topper. Om nom nom!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian so I've been eating these things forever.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I LOVE shirataki noodles and often eat the whole package at once. That said, they need to be prepared. Drain & rinse them thoroughly under hot water for a few minutes in a strainer to get rid of that fishy smell. Then pat them dry. Throw them in a pan with oil or sauce and they will take on whatever flavor you give them.

40 calories for 8 oz. versus, what? 200 per oz of pasta? I can't even count that high.

P.S. I prefer the fettuccine style.

^^. I use them as well and love them
  • Marquism123
    Options
    I'm not a fan of them as the smell weird and taste bland.

Try spaghetti squash to substitute noodles. Great source of vitamins and a great way to get extra veggies in.

I have heard this before but I don't think spaghetti squash is something all that readily available here in the UK, sadly
  • Marquism123
    Options
    Ok. So whoever said they were like chewing on rubber bands was bang on the money. No. Just no!!