The new rules of weight lifting for women book

Options
Ok I am thisclose to getting this book. Is it a weight workout I can do at home? Pros and cons?

Any reviews good or bad would be very helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• Helenavee42
    Options
    Bump! I would like to know as well.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Bump! I would like to know as well.
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bump I'm interested too.
  • krommama
    krommama Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen that book, but I will wholeheartedly recommend Body By You by Mark Lauren. All body weight exercises. No gym, no weights, no videos. And the book is geared toward women.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I loved this book, an entertaining read for sure! and buy the book, not the e-book.

You can do it at home, I do but you will need to have the room for the weights, both dumbells and a barbell with varying weights.

ETA: if you have any lifting experience, it is hard to start at the beginning, I jumped to stage 2 and didn't rest as long as the routine suggests for most lifts. Just listen to your body =) I am moving to Supercharged where you can create your own routines.

There's a group here that you may want to look into:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think that the book is fantastic, it gives you tons of different exercises and it breaks them down for beginners. I highly recommend it.

I also have found that www.bodybuilding.com has a HUGE database for exercises, for free. Each of the moves they have a breakdown on and all of the ones that i have come across also have a video so you know EXACTLY what you need to do and not do.

Personally I love having the book as I find it a great reference and I like to build my own routines with it, but if you are strapped for cash, that website is my winning vote.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have been following it for 6 weeks now, it is fantastic but gets a little boring, so I add in a few other moves to make my own routine each week, which I switch up every few days. It's been working so far, quite a few inches lost. I'd definitely recommend the book. I have a little home gym which I use and if you don't have certain pieces of equipment the book give you alternatives you can do at home, super useful.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I bought the book, and loved it. It was a really great read with some really interesting information, put in very simple english. I was ready to cut back on the cardio and start lifting weights and so this book and the training program in it was exactly what I was looking for. There are variations for the exercises that you can do at home but you have to have a pretty well equipped home gym. There's a whole group dedicated to the book on here, I recommend checking out the threads for more info, but wether it's the right program for you or not, the book is still worth the read.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I am going to get this book!
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ok so, I'm in week 9 of stronglifts5stronglifts5x5 and want to move on to something in may .. Nrowlfw looks like something i would attempt, I'm wondering before i waste money on it if i have to have a gym membership, I've done the sl program at home. I got the free weights and got dumbbells, and kettle bells, and ankle weights. Is there any thing i need other them that? Or am i ready to go?
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ok so, I'm in week 9 of stronglifts5stronglifts5x5 and want to move on to something in may .. Nrowlfw looks like something i would attempt, I'm wondering before i waste money on it if i have to have a gym membership, I've done the sl program at home. I got the free weights and got dumbbells, and kettle bells, and ankle weights. Is there any thing i need other them that? Or am i ready to go?
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Some of the exercises call for a swiss ball so you may need to get one of those.