Walking Calories Burned....Help me calculate calories

Options
I started my program 28 days ago and walking is a big part of my exercise. I'm a 59 year old male that is down to 205 lbs. I walk exactly 3.80 miles in my afternoon walk on a flat surface. I am walking pretty good @ 3.80 mph. It is accurate as I was able to time and measure this. Can anyone provide me with as close as they can to what calories I'm burning? . I understand the math to it and realize it's not an exact amount, but after searching web calculators that account for male, age, height ( 5.9 ) and current weight the calories are ranging from a low of 215/hr to 415/hr. Can someone get me into a more accurate burn amount at this pace? The calculator on this site says 465...seems high to me.

Replies

• corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We are all different, but if it were me, I would calculate that at about 275-300 calories
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I bought a heart rate monitor and a fitness watch to track things and that helped get a better picture of calories burned. For me, on average for a 4.0mph walk (15 minutes per mile) I burn 110 calories. I'm a 43 year old male at about 204 pounds.

Don't know how much that helps.
  • raiderlifer53
    raiderlifer53 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    110 calories for an hour @ 4mph which is brisk, that's kind of discouraging. Thanks for the help.
  • sidegrinder
    sidegrinder Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking he means 110cal/mile. I would guess you're burning around 400cals for your 3.8 miles.
  • raiderlifer53
    raiderlifer53 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ha Ha, thanks for pointing out my stupidity. I think I'm around the 325-350 calorie/ hour range. Thanks