Protien bars and shakes a good idea?

Options
My husband lost 40 pounds by replacing one meal a day with a protien shake or protien bar. He's a skinny guy now! I don't expect the same results but I started on them today. The bars are good enough and they keep me full for about 3 hours so far but when they wear off, I'm ravenous. I feel like I have energy but I keep feeling that DROP after about 3 hours. I have hypoglycemia so I have to eat every few hours. I thought this would be a good way to get in a meal when I don't have time to make something healthier. The problem is that I think it's screwing with my blood sugar, causing that drop, the shakes etc or it could just be something else I'm doing.

Has anyone tried protien bars/shakes and actually lost weight doing this? And what did you do to keep from feeling that crash? It's worse than the coffee crash!

Replies

• CoCoFitnessSucess
    Options
    Have you tried Herbalife I replace 2 meals a day its really good
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Of course you'll lose if you're replacing a whole meal with a shake, especially if you were eating 600 or 700 calorie meals before. Why not just make a healthier. lower calorie meal instead? And, if you're using something specifically called a protein bar or shake and not a meal replacement, chances are ou're not getting all the proper nutrients you need, either. I like shakes and bars as an occasional snack or supplement, but I'd much rather eat an actual meal than use those as a substitute.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just eating real food. Your husband would of only lost weight replacing a meal with a protein shake due to lowering his total amount of calories in a day. You can get the same results with food. Protein shakes, or any of the other weight loss shakes out there aren't magical... they only make you lose weight because they lower your calorie intake.

Best thing is to just eat real food. I use protein shakes/bars just because I don't meet my daily protein goals. I don't get enough protein most days and use protein shakes/bars to reach my protein goal while I figure out what other things to eat that will help me reach my protein goals (I don't eat meat so it makes it a bit harder).

I do not use protein bars or shakes as meal replacements though. I use them as a suppliment only when needed.

A lot of people will use a shake to replace breakfast for example. I find I can get a much better, more nutritious meal for less calories by cooking up a bunch of veggies with egg whites. Extremely filling and can be very low calorie. Much better than just drinking a shake.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    You have a medical condition. I'd get a recommendation for a RD from your doctor.

That aside, I'm borderline hypoglycemic and I don't usually have a problem using protein shakes or bars. I will say it's nice to have some apple/apple slices on hand for something if I start feeling ill, though.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When I'm being strict My breakfast is just a Protein shake with Flaxseed, definitely makes it easier to get enough protein and Fibre during the day, which means I have more wiggle room in my diet so can eat more of what I like, the Shake itself does no magic cleanse or anything though!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Protein bars: Not so much. Usually loaded with sugar.

Protein shakes: Definitely yes if you need some additional protein in your diet.

Herbalife: Scam.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    The real question is what happens after you're done losing weight? Do you want to eat protein bars every day for the rest of your life?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I like bars and shakes as snacks, not as meal replacements.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i do a protein shake in the morning, mostly because it's fast, and i don't crawl out of bed any earlier than absolutely necessary to get ready for work. I have a gallon of milk, blender and protein mix at work. I'm not a good planner when it comes to what i'm going to eat so it just works. Also the 67 g of protein it gives me in the morning helps with getting my numbers up where they need to be.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs using protein shakes and bars. I gained it all back. Enough said!!
  • desrosiersf
    Options
    I eat 5 times a day (every 3 hours, just like you op) and EVERYDAY there's one of these meal that is either:
    -Protein shake + some carbs (oatmeal, bread, etc.)
    or
    -Protein bar.

I found it to be a really effective way to lose weight, because let's face it, everyone else eats 3 meals a day, not 5 or 6. Also, it's quick, easy and cheap !
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You only need them if you are not getting enough protein by way of your food - treat them as a supplement, or a high protein snack at best.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    If you are making your own protein bars and shakes then you know everything that's going into them. In that case I don't see an issue with that. Typically when I get up early to go to the gym I have a home made protein granola bar and when I come home I make a "protein" shake that has non fat greek yogurt, milk, protein, blueberries and PB in it for my breakfast. Sometimes I'll supplement with protein mixed with milk in between meals because I'm just not that hungry to eat something substantial.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs using protein shakes and bars. I gained it all back. Enough said!!

... Are you implying something about protein shakes and gaining weight back? I can't make sense of this post.
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Real food is always better, but I've lost quite a bit by eating a Special K - Double Chocolate Protein Meal Bar for breakfast. I'm also not hungry until lunch time. However, I could easily go all the way until lunch without eating anything since I'm never hungry in the morning. My nutritionist would prefer that I eat something else, but given a choice between the protein bar and nothing, she says the bar isn't too bad.
  • rokinrho
    rokinrho Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. The reason behind this however is because I did not eat breakfast before I started on my journey to eating better and losing weight.
    Of course it has helped me a lot...after all breakfast is the most important part of the day and I was skipping it :)
  • fitnessmare
    Options
    You only need them if you are not getting enough protein by way of your food - treat them as a supplement, or a high protein snack at best.

Agreed. I only eat them because I have a hard time meeting my protein needs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. The reason behind this however is because I did not eat breakfast before I started on my journey to eating better and losing weight.
    Of course it has helped me a lot...after all breakfast is the most important part of the day and I was skipping it :)

Breakfast is only the most important meal of the day for those who prefer it and/or have better energy levels because of it.
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    Walker's Diet Meal Replacement Drink is very good. Only 180 calories, 1 carb, 24 g Protein, with lots of vitamins. I use it once a day, it's very filling and mixes very well in a shaker bottle.
  • sarahjay1
    sarahjay1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i do a protein shake in the morning, mostly because it's fast, and i don't crawl out of bed any earlier than absolutely necessary to get ready for work. I have a gallon of milk, blender and protein mix at work. I'm not a good planner when it comes to what i'm going to eat so it just works. Also the 67 g of protein it gives me in the morning helps with getting my numbers up where they need to be.

What kind of protein mix and how much to get 67g of protein?? Just curious..