Funny Thought...

Connie68
Connie68 Posts: 18
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
When I was little growing up we ate healthy, we ate very healthy because the junk food was expensive and basically we couldn't afford it. My mom was raising 5 kids pretty much on her own and going to McDonald's or having chips for a snack was pretty much out of the budget, so we ate healthy.

Now I find it so humorous that eating healthy is actually much more expensive than eating all the junk crap food! And trying to go organic, I might as well be Bill Gates!

I went grocery shopping yesterday lots of veggies and fruit, meat and fish, dairy, etc. I shopped the perimeter of the store for the most part, except for some coffee, aguave nectar, and pasta. I also know that I will hit the store again before the week is out!

My cart was far from full. I spent $178.00. The lady in front of me had a cart that was over flowing with crap, cokes, chips, cookies, every boxed food you can think of, deli meats, pre made foods, etc. she spent $193.00. What is wrong with this picture???

Replies

• Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    It is very true to eat well, costs more. I now collect coupons, browse online ads and shop well. It is worth the extra effort and this way you can save money for important things like REWARDS!:tongue:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Collect coupons and shop at multiple stores. Some stores have better prices than others. When we go grocery shopping, we go to 3 different stores. It makes for a long trip, but we save a lot of money.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Also try any local farmer's markets if you have them. That helped our food budget a lot.
  • WildeChikk
    WildeChikk Posts: 49 Member
    So true, and so unfair, BUT I definately spend the extra money. I hate how my body feels when I put that junk into it, I pay for days
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Also try any local farmer's markets if you have them. That helped our food budget a lot.

hit the nail on the heald with that. I can save up to 50% at my local farmers....

Not to mention, the quality is much better anyways.

my staples:

TUNA
    CHICKEN

I walk out of the grocery store with two week supply at $40 I suppose it isn't bad, but it isn't great either
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    The $$$ you spend on healthy food is $$$ you'll save in doctor bills. That's the way I look at it.
  • Connie68
    Connie68 Posts: 18
    The $$$ you spend on healthy food is $$$ you'll save in doctor bills. That's the way I look at it.

I have never even thought about it like that, but that is in deed the perfect to look at it isn't it? Thank you for that insight!
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238

Great perspective!! :happy:
  • dawnybeme
    dawnybeme Posts: 2
    sometimes it angers me that it cost so much more than average to be healthy in many areas. Eating healthy is expensive, quality health care and often times life saving proceedures are unavailable due to financial levels, even the areas one can afford to live in!

Connie we need to hit the new Farmer's Market that's down the street from Margie's old house on Braxton Bragg, it opens 6:30 tues & Fri mornings. I've been wating to go since it opened last year.
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    When I was growing up Fridays was "treat day". My mom would take us to either McDonalds or KFC. I think mostly because she wanted and needed a break from cooking. We treasured Fridays.

I think people who buy junk actually spend more money than those who buy healthy foods only because it takes more junk to feel satisfied and full. I know if I have a fast food meal, an hour later I want more food. If I cook whole food, healthy food, I'm satisfied for a few hours.
This discussion has been closed.