Toning up - Areas of focus

Options
I need to start putting some strength exercises into my routine to tone up! I know some people focus on a different area each day for example legs, abs etc. What are your routines for this? I need some ideas and how to get started! :)

Replies

• tiffanyarowell
    Options
    I'd love to get some tips for thigh and ab moves. Thanks!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What is your routine currently for legs? What do you do on "leg day"?
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    For legs, why not try squats, lunges, calf raises, or leg lifts. All can be done while holding weights or with body weight alone.

For arms, you've got bicep curls, lateral raises, shoulder presses, etc.... There are a lot of them.

Never underestimate the power of a pushup. There are different types to work different areas of your arms and you can also get a nice ab workout too. It's also not difficult to add weight if your body weight is too easy for you.
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For legs, why not try squats, lunges, calf raises, or leg lifts. All can be done while holding weights or with body weight alone.

This ^^

It seems women are very focues on the bodies from the waist down. Squats are a sure fire way to firm and work out many leg muscles, and coupled with lunges, you can't go wrong.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For most beginners, a body part per day type routine won't be very efficient. I'm not saying it won't work or you won't see results, it's just far from the most bang from your workout dollar.

Look into full body routines that focus on compound lifts like bench press, squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, pull-ups, lunges, etc.

• aas1277
    Options
    I think total body which integrates cardio and weights is a great starting point.....I love Jillian michaels because most of her workouts incorporate a little of both....30 day shred and ripped in 30 are great....also she has a set you can buy "the biggest winner: how to win by losing" but you need a step for those DVDs.....
  • LemonJADE
    LemonJADE Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, they have helped to give me some ideas :)