Do you eat after 6pm?

Options
I find that if I eat after 7pm my body retains extra pounds for the next 2 weeks and I end up in a cycle of losing 3lbs one week then regaining them again the following week. However on the weeks that I do not eat after 6pm,coupled with exercise for 60 mins everyday,I find a steady weight loss of 2lbs.The only trouble is I finish work at 9pm and by the time I get home at 10pm I am Starvin' Marvin and then I raid the fridge like a demented cockroach.

What kind of slow energy release foods can I eat that wont make me keep piling on the pounds.

My diary is open

Replies

• lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    The only trouble is I finish work at 9pm and by the time I get home at 10pm I am Starvin' Marvin and then I raid the fridge like a demented cockroach.

Betty, I love how you put things... "demented cockroach"... lol... Anyway, I honestly don't think what time you eat makes any difference. I personally try not to eat after 9 pm, but that's more to help me sleep than anything else.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    yes but i also have not lost a pound in quite some time. Im not trying very hard to lose right now, just wanting to get stronger
  • GosuLoli
    Options
    Since my sleeping pattern is typical of a student (Stay up til the ungodly hours of the morning, wake up some time in the afternoon, if I go to bed at all) I usually eat after 6pm. I'm trying to quit that though, so if I get hungry in the evening, I'll have a bowl of muesli, that generally keeps me going for a good few hours. Breakfast cereals in general are quite slow-release, if you buy the healthy ones, so maybe those would work the same way
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't think time of day means anything. I eat dinner between 8pm-9pm daily and go to bed around 10pm. I've lost, on average, 1 Lb per week since joining MFP. It's not always linear...sometimes it's more, sometimes less...but when I average it out over a longer period of time, it comes out to about 1 Lb per week as per my goal.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Peeked at your diary...I don't think the issue is when you eat..but what you eat. Lots of processed foods have loads of sodium. Try to add some fresh fruits and veggies.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't know time, so I don't think that matters. It might be what you're eating at that time.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I often (daily) have a evening snack and still lose weight. I don't think you body knows if it is 6:00 or 7:30.
  • q403ge
    Options
    from everything i have been reading, number of meals and time of meals dont have as much importance, if any, compared to the total amount of calories in vs calories out. I'd try reducing my caloric intake if weight loss is your goal.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry regardless of time and have lost weight doing so have you thought about snacking on nuts and seeds ( the raw kind on the salted ones) they might help with your snack monsters x
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out.

Meal timing/ frequency has no impact on how your body utilizes nutrients. Countless studies have been done on this and the conclusion is always the same. There has to be another factor you're not taking into account.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It depends on what time you go to bed. I go to bed at around 2am. Last snack is around 10-11.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat after 7pm my body retains extra pounds for the next 2 weeks

no
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Also one other thing. You want protein right after a work out. If you work out, go home and dont eat anything till the next day you are getting less out of your workout. Try having some tuna on rice cakes, or something egg white related.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    That is not possible for me.....I would have to eat dinner while still at work.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i eat after 6pm every night - we dont eat dinner until at least 7pm, if not later.
    and then theres dessert nights lol or nights i stay up past midnight. my only rule is i dont take food to bed with me
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    Don't listen to all the experts on the forum. As long as its healthy and works for you, keep at it.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would say eat something high in protein when you get home. Not sure if you eat meat or not, but eat a chicken breast or something of that sort. Your protein intake seems really low and eating protien shouldn't make you gain any weight, because your body uses protien to build muscle it doesn't get turned into fat in the body.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Every single day. Dinner isn't until between 7 and 8pm, and then I might have dessert too.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yes I do... I eat right up til bedtime and am right back to eating first thing after I wake up. Meal frequency as no bearing on weight loss, there has to be other factors leading to the problem you described.... Best of Luck....
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all the experts on the forum.

Yeah, people that know what they're talking about are SOOOO overrated. :noway: